Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
89OldSkool187XL

V-Belt replacements

13 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone had the part numbers on the two drive belts on my mercruiser 89' 4.3, its time to replace them and i'm having a hard time looking them up. Any ideas? If i could get a belt size or some kind of cross reference so I could pick them up tomorrow. Thanks.

Take the belts to any auto parts store, they have a sliding gauge to measure them, ya I know your already wondering "What if it's streched or broken"?

That is one of those times where you just have to use some common sense and hope the parts guy is not some idiot fresh out of high school, check NAPA or a mom-n-pop parts store, they will usually know how to measure and compensate.

I have a question regaurding changing the belts. if you remove the belts will the time of the engine be off. Also how easily would the crank turn with out the belts thus causing the timing to become out of time. Thanks....

I have a question regaurding changing the belts. if you remove the belts will the time of the engine be off. Also how easily would the crank turn with out the belts thus causing the timing to become out of time. Thanks....

changing or adjusting v belts have nothing to do with ignition timing. That would be the timing chain.

MerCruiser around the late '80's changed the size of their pulleys to allow the engines to pull more RPM without causing problems with the belts.

Thus, 2 different belt sizes depending on the power steering pulley, etc. 5 1/2" diameter, or later 7" size. Either way, I'd opt for Goodyear Gatorback V-belts as they're quieter than the OEM or regular aftermarket style.

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/4.3L_2_BBL._GM_262_V-6_1988-1992/+17468/951-210

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/4.3L_2_BBL._GM_262_V-6_1988-1992/+17468/951-280

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/4.3L_2_BBL._GM_262_V-6_1988-1992/+17468/951-270

Thanks for the info, Shep. Always nice to learn something. My belts are fine, but good to know about the vintage PS pulley size differences.

Your vintage 2550 was/is an awesome riding boat. A bear to change the impeller on, especially with the big stove, but hey, nothings perfect.

The boat looks great too; pure classic touch.

changing or adjusting v belts have nothing to do with ignition timing. That would be the timing chain.

There are "timing belts" usually see those with auto front wheel drive motors.

Shep may know if that has ever been on a boat motor.

Some reason I doubt it.

OMC used the POS Ford 2.3L 4 cyl. OHC engine back in the day...that engine probably used a timing belt. Many 4 Stroke outboards use timing belts too. Regarding the 4-S outboards, on most one has to adjust the intake and exhaust valves too.

The only MerCruiser engines I know that are OHC and may use a timing belt are the new DOHC 1300 and 1350 twin turbo Race engines. Highly doubt they'll ever get enough hours to require a new timing belt on those...

OMC used the POS Ford 2.3L 4 cyl. OHC engine back in the day...that engine probably used a timing belt.

I can verify that engine does indeed have a timing belt, worked as a Ford tech for 11 years.

Thanks Kemo13, so if i remove the belts and then turn the crank pully by hand one revolution install the new belts there will be no issue with anything? Hey Shep, question I have a '04 chap 190 ssi sport seating, volvo 4-barrel v-6. Where can i purchase the Goodyear Gatorback v-belts. Thanks...

I'm just starting to get my feet wet with Volvo. If your engine should have a serpentine belt, then a Gatorback belt is for lower noise levels. Volvo apparently had some issues with their serpentine belts on some '06 & '07 fuel injected models.

From my past experience, Volvo doesn't give out the dimensions of their belts on their parts look up, at least for their serpentine belts. (I could have missed this information somehow) We had to take the belt off our trade-in '07 4.3L GXi, and order in 3 Gatorback belts that we thought would fit from our supplier. Sent the other 2 belts back that we didn't need.

Anyway, the Gatorback serpentine belt cured the excessive squealing. All we like to use now.

Could try looking up your engine and belts at the link below, and then cross referencing the part # in google to find a Sierra 'equivalent'. Hopefully the Sierra part gives a dimension size, which can then be used to find a cross reference for a Gatorback. NAPA or any such auto parts store in the U.S. should carry Goodyear Gatorback belts.

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-schematics-MarineGasolineEngines.aspx

http://www.iboats.com/Volvo-Penta-V-Belts/dm/view_id.269566

We got my belts off last night and took those mercruiser part numbers and matched em up with some new ones. I think it may have taken quite a while to just match em up by hand. Thanks for those part numbers by the way, saved the parts counter jockey a lot of trouble. We put tightened everything back up and now were back in business. We did the impeller last week along with a new prop and now she is ready for a memorial day camping trip.