Sign in to follow this  
Diverman

Replacing snap in cockpit/deck carpeting

My cockpit carpeting is really getting flogged! The backing is disintigrating and getting black "dust" all over and the carpet is looking ratty and stained as well. Soooo. We want to replace it but the I believe the stock Chappie carpet is about one kilodeer (I think it was 995 on Cecil's web site and I am sure that is a very good price for stock) and I was hoping to find a place that did equally as good or better quality aftermarket snap in carpets for less. Any ideas or recommendations???

We went with www.snapincarpets.com

Great service, process was easy.

Same issue with my carpet. I've got new carpet on order now with www.snapincarpets.com. Email them and they'll send you free samples. I ordered their template kit, carefully traced the old carpet on it, sent back to them. They emailed the quote, 623 deer to replace all of my SSI 220 carpet. And the new carpet has a different backing that looks like its likely to last longer without crumbling. They said about a three week turn around right now. I'll post some pictures when I get it.

I've read on other forums you can use plastidip in a spray can to restore the backing if the actual carpet is in good shape.

WE USED A LIQUID ROLL ON RUBBER PRODUCT THAT IS NONE SKID AND STOPPED THE CRUMBLING OF THE BACKING. STILL VERY FLEXIBLE AND SHOULD LAST A LIFETIME

WE USED A LIQUID ROLL ON RUBBER PRODUCT THAT IS NONE SKID AND STOPPED THE CRUMBLING OF THE BACKING. STILL VERY FLEXIBLE AND SHOULD LAST A LIFETIME

Do you remember what the name of the product was you used? I am thinking about trying to salvage the carpeting for another season since the XDP drive replacement is bleeding us dry. How do you guys clean the carpet- steam clean or possible put in a big commercial washing machine?

I'm curious too as to what Our Pleasure used. I tried a spray on clear varnish with no success. I think mine may beyond saving now, so I hired a local marine canvass/carpet guy to replace the carpet. Only 450 deer. I will take better care of my boat carpet now, such as not leaving the carpet exposed to the sun whenever possible.

Do you remember what the name of the product was you used? I am thinking about trying to salvage the carpeting for another season since the XDP drive replacement is bleeding us dry. How do you guys clean the carpet- steam clean or possible put in a big commercial washing machine?

In the same "boat" as you. Our carpet is in good shape except the backing. We need a fix for it this year though, and the XDP conversion isn't cheap.

We pull the carpets out and clean them with a HOT water/vinegar solution. Scrub them with a brush by hand. Rinse them throughly with a water hose till the water runs clear and there is no soap coming off the carper (not sure where the soap suds come from?). Then we take the wet/dry vac and vacuum off the water. Leaves the carpet looking new and mostly dry to go back on the boat.

LATEX RUBBER FROM INDUSTRIAL PAINTS & PLASTICS. SINCE IT'S LATEX YOU CAN DO IT EASILY WITH A SMALL 4" ROLLER. I DID THREE COATS AND IT COMES OUT CLEAR WHEN DRY IF YOU DON'T TRY TO PUT IT ON TOO THICK. ONE JUG GOES A LONG WAY. YOU'LL START FINDING OTHER THINGS TO USE IT ON AROUND THE HOUSE

snap in carpet as others suggest or http://www.corinthian-marine-carpet.com/aquamat/jr-berber-driftwood. I spent about a third of the deer for other berber carpet online (had a sales on driftwood). They will loan you a snap tool as well. Got colored snaps from canvastraining.com, and installed in a few hours.

Don't rely on their carpet template for you boat model though. I got burned using what they said was my template, and it's a little big, overlapping other sections in places. But for the deer I will live w/ it.

On 5/7/2011 at 8:53 AM, chap256 said:

I've read on other forums you can use plastidip in a spray can to restore the backing if the actual carpet is in good shape.

Here is my initial effort with plastidip spray cans. 3 of 4  pieces of carpet had crumbling rubber backing, mostly on edges.

I figure 2-3 sq ft max backing repair. I removed the flaking parts with a wire brush, being careful not to damage the fiber. I vacuumed up all the resulting pieces, placed the pieces on plastic sheeting and used blue tape to cover the carpet edge. I have applied 5 coats on all involved areas using 2 1/2 spray cans. Looks like I will need to apply several more layers (requiring return to store for more cans). The first few layers were applied pretty light to avoid bleed through to the surface carpet. So far so good.

Others have reported some resulting shrinkage making snap reattachment a challenge. I would be very interested to know other people's experience with this and how long this repair lasted. I don't have $600-$1000 deer for new carpet, I hope this lasts for a few years! Anxious to get on the water!   

IMG_2366.JPG

IMG_2369.JPG

IMG_2365.JPG

+1 for snapincarpet.com. I ordered from them 4 seasons ago and mine look as new as they did at the start. Much better than the original disintegrating backing original carpets! Samples, service, quality and price were great. I shipped my old carpets to them and let them template. I figured that was my safest bet and it worked great. I'm sure making your own template works fine too. When my carpets were done I rented their snap tool, it was commercial grade and better than my DIY West Marine one.

+ 5 on sending the stretched out carpets for a correct spacing of the snaps.  BINGO !!

Infants on a dog leash & chest harness LOVE our plush carpets.  Fresh air = sleepy kid with chatty adults.

The small child does not fall down steps or go over the side.  Yes I really can be a caring human with infants.        Adults  ?      Maybe.

You need to install the snaps on the boat. It is not difficult, took me about an hour. Having the correct tool is critical, fit is perfect.

brick