Arr and R

First time boat owner(s)

Just wanted to say hello and thank you to everyone on the site. After reading many topics and threads on the site we decided to pull the trigger on a 1998 Chaparral 2130. We are the second owner and purchased the boat from the marina that originally sold it in 98. All indications say the boat has been very well taken care of and with 232 hours couldn't pass it up. It has been, and will be, very rainy but hope to have pictures up soon after I can get her cleaned up. We look forward to a great summer of boating and reading up on different tips and tricks.

Thanks!

Steve and Amber.

:thsmilie_water_119-1:

Well chosen and best of luck!

Look forward to some pics.

Welcome to the forum. Some very good people here.

Ahoy! Welcome aboard. Best of luck with the 1998 - love my mid-90s Chap and hope you will, too.

Thanks everyone! Just picked up a bunch of parts to ensure we have a mechanically smooth summer. The boat came with full service records which none of included bellows or impeller. Picked those up along with anodes and general fluids and filters. Hope to borrow a bay in a friends garage this week to get started. If things go well I'll get her cleaned while I'm at it!

I really look forward to enjoying this boat. We almost purchased an 05 190ssi that was "meticulously maintained" but when we looked at it in person it was anything but. (That is a WHOLE other story...) I am glad we found another chaparral as our first, of hopefully many, boats!!

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Capital District resident. Where will you boat this year? We are up at Great Sacandaga Lake if the weather ever changes for the better. Hope you enjoy the chap.

Rich

:boating:

Congrats and welcome to the unofficial vintage boat club. We love our 2130. They ride great!

Ok.. now we need details... color, drive, powerplant (motor) etc...

O and we need pics. :)

Limited Edition White and Blue

5.7L 250horse - (Pretty sure its a two barrel.) Bravo 3

Interior is really sharp, with no cracks or tears in the vinyl. It's pretty dirty but should clean up nice if it ever stops raining! Picked up a manual today and a few other parts and pieces before we tear into tomorrow night. I don't think I should find any surprises but you just never know.

Here is a link to the marina we purchased it from. I don't know when I will be able to get pics up. http://www.pilotknob.com/c1/c5/1998-Chaparral-2130-p540.html (And the asking price was just that!!)

Welcome to the forum!

Boat on pictures looks great and clean.

Age for Chaparrals boats is not a critical factor. :-)

Limited Edition White and Blue

5.7L 250horse - (Pretty sure its a two barrel.) Bravo 3

Interior is really sharp, with no cracks or tears in the vinyl. It's pretty dirty but should clean up nice if it ever stops raining! Picked up a manual today and a few other parts and pieces before we tear into tomorrow night. I don't think I should find any surprises but you just never know.

Here is a link to the marina we purchased it from. I don't know when I will be able to get pics up. http://www.pilotknob.com/c1/c5/1998-Chaparral-2130-p540.html (And the asking price was just that!!)

Pilot Knob Marina is on "my" lake - is that where you will be boating? I was born and raised in Colonie, and work there still. PM me if you want to chat more...

Love the boat.... it looks identical to mine ACCEPT your seats. I've been looking for those seats since I bought mine. Now at least I know chaparral made them for that boat.

Enjoy it ! Incidentally....I read the sale ad for the marina and it mentions that the finish needs work. I had mine stripped down, sanded, buffed, and waxed. Then had new badges and striping put on along with the 2011 logo. All I can say is.... wow. Looks like a brand new boat. I was stunned when I got it back. Something to think about.

Congrats on your purchase and your 1st boat!! But beware, boating is a disease!! You will start to have 2 footitis and no matter how big your boat is, there's always something bigger!! For some reason, most "admirals" don't understand this disease! But again, congrats! I love the style of the older Chaps. :beer-7687-1:

That stern drive will clean up nicely. Get a can of Merc/Quicksilver primer and a can of Merc/Quicksilver paint. Then sand away all the corrosion, and rough up the paint that you plan to paint over. Once it's all nice and baby smooth with no corrosion or bumps, then wash with Dove to clean and de-grease. Then you're ready to tape off, prime and paint. Read the directions because if you're going to do multiple layers, you need to do it within 4 hours of the prior coat, or wait a week for it to cure.

I did mine a couple of months ago, but only did the bottom part of the stern drive, and I was able to do it all in one sitting. It looks brand new now. This next winter I'll remove my stern drive to check alignment gimbal bearing and grease the u-joints and shaft, and while it's removed I plan to paint the remainder of the stern drive.

Be careful cleaning around the prop-shaft, you don't want to damage the seals, yet you do want to clean the area just forward of the prop-shaft. This area is removable (with special tools) and is called the Bearing carrier, which cost between 350 and 500 deer to replace. You will want to cleanup the carrier and prime and paint it to reduce corrosion here as well, even though it's almost all hidden by the prop. This is apparently a common part that corrodes and becomes difficult to remove when prop seals need to be replaced. If it's too corroded the part usually denigrates when the shop attempts to remove it.

Congrats on your purchase and your 1st boat!! But beware, boating is a disease!! You will start to have 2 footitis and no matter how big your boat is, there's always something bigger!! For some reason, most "admirals" don't understand this disease! But again, congrats! I love the style of the older Chaps. :beer-7687-1:

Ohhhhh sooo true!!!! And this is a disease there is no cure for! Um... Well maybe one... A lack of money... (That is what is curing me especially due to the XDP drives)

Congrats on the new boat and joining a forum with a great bunch of guys who know a heck of a lot about boating!

Thanks for all of the advice. Haven't been able to get down to the garage lately but hope to get it back together tomorrow night and in the water for a quick dip. Drive is back on, bellows changed, drive sanded and a quick wipe down is all I've been able to do with work. Gimbal bearing is in great shape so I left it alone. U joint bellow was good but figured it should be changed anyway. So far the only surprise was finding what was left of shutter assembly in the drive. Picked up gaskets and shutters today. (Should have checked with Shepard first though....) Oh well, live and learn!

I am really glad we ended up with another Chaparral after all. This forum has been a big help along the way. Thanks to Shepard and everyone else who has helped. (Most without even knowing!!) :beer-7687-1:

Attend a Chaparral Raft-Up and you'll really come to appreciate the Chap family of owners. Truly first class.

K