Sign in to follow this  
Dbal72

Pink Mold in my 240 Cruiser Cabin? Seriously??

I am dumbfounded... Took my 2007 Chap 240 Signature out of heated winted storage and put her in last weekend. Once I hopped into the cabin I noticed a very light but bright pink in random areas on the cabin walls, headliner and mid-berth. Boat was stored with many other boats in large indoor heated warehouse with concrete floor. I had canvas cover on it but purposely left cabin screen door open and mid-berth window for ventilation. I had to go online and read blogs to figure out what this was as I have never had this issue on any boat before. No pink mold on V-berth cushions or cockpit cushions. Only on the thin cabin vinyl. Why would this happen now? Temps were 50 degrees in my storage place and no moisture or water left in boat. I used Tilex and a rag and within minutes of wiping the entire cabin vinyl down it was gone. I was careful not to get any of fabric or other items and went lightly with not an excess of Tilex. Next day I went back down to check and some spots were back again but only a few. Went over those again and they are gone for now. From what I have read Brunswick and other manufacturers have had issues with cheap vinyl. The company that makes the backing blames the company that makes the front of the vinyl and visa versa. I had this boat in a slip all summer in heat and humidity and never had an issue with the cabin. It makes no sense why now. Is it true that the only way to rid yourself of it is to replace entire vinyl? I guess the hot pink is the excretion from the mold being on the backside (foam side)of vinyl. Not a happy camper right now and any suggestions would be helpful.

The "pink mold" is often associated with not well ventilated showers, but in fact it often is the airborne bacteria or even algae. The fact that the thing appears on solid walls would suggest bacteria/algae rather than the "inside/outside vinyl mold" theory.

Keep what you doing, clean all non porous surfaces with diluted bleach, never full strength (Tilex, Clorox, etc), wash the fabrics, and keep the boat ventilated. If that does not help after a while and the thing reappears again and again, you might need to open one of the cushions and check the inside for any really nasty stuff.

Here is more about the pink bacteria, just do not get alarmed about its pathogenic characteristics, its a very common bacteria in our environment: http://en.wikipedia....atia_marcescens

Good luck ...

Edited by Richard W

Had the same problem with my 2007 signature 330 first year in heated inside storage. I also could find nothing on the topic anywhere. I solved the problem by renting a OZONE machine for 3 days and kept the boat closed up. All the pink went away and never returned. Good Luck

I would suggest putting a few Damp-rid containers in it for storage next winter. I use these year round keeps all the mold and mildew gone.

matt

I solved the problem by renting a OZONE machine for 3 days and kept the boat closed up. All the pink went away and never returned.

That's an excellent idea ... a perfect non-destructive disinfectant for anything airborne and anything inside the boat ... (memo to self) ... :)

The "pink mold" is often associated with not well ventilated showers, but in fact it often is the airborne bacteria or even algae. The fact that the thing appears on solid walls would suggest bacteria/algae rather than the "inside/outside vinyl mold" theory.

Keep what you doing, clean all non porous surfaces with diluted bleach, never full strength (Tilex, Clorox, etc), wash the fabrics, and keep the boat ventilated. If that does not help after a while and the thing reappears again and again, you might need to open one of the cushions and check the inside for any really nasty stuff.

Here is more about the pink bacteria, just do not get alarmed about its pathogenic characteristics, its a very common bacteria in our environment: http://en.wikipedia....atia_marcescens

Good luck ...

This at least makes me feel a little better. I appreciate the input. So basically once the bacteria becomes airborne it will latch onto those vinyl surfaces like the cabin walls, headliner, etc. Should I then use Tilex in the head on the walls and drain to make sure that is not where it started? I did not see any pink in there. I thought I was doing the right thing by leaving the cabin door open and mid-berth window for storage but I guess that wasn't enough.

The Ozone machine is an excellent idea. Great way to purify the air. I also like the idea of using those Damp-Rid bags. Funny as I purchased one last week to put in my boat but haven't yet. So once I get this problem resolved, in the future whether in heated storage or in the slip I should keep it better ventilated correct? Want to avoid this happening again.

After the one OZONE treatment, the pink never reappeared. I have stored in the same place for the last 4 years.

So did you just run the ozone machine non-stop for three days with the cabin closed up?

The Ozone machine is an excellent idea. Great way to purify the air. I also like the idea of using those Damp-Rid bags. Funny as I purchased one last week to put in my boat but haven't yet. So once I get this problem resolved, in the future whether in heated storage or in the slip I should keep it better ventilated correct? Want to avoid this happening again.

Dryer sheets work well to absorb moisture in the air as well. put an open box in the ski locker mid cabin, had no issues, forgot about under the bow cushion and had some spots. Box of dryer sheets only a few bucks. I remove the mildew w/ simple green, seems to work very well not as harsh as the bleach on vinyl

yup...closed up the boat and ran the ozoneator for 3 days. rented it for bout $50.00 when i had pink it was on every vinal surface. ozone thing musta really miffed it off cuz it didnt come back. best part...no scrubbing.

yup...closed up the boat and ran the ozoneator for 3 days. rented it for bout $50.00 when i had pink it was on every vinal surface. ozone thing musta really miffed it off cuz it didnt come back. best part...no scrubbing.

I borrowed a friends ozone cleaner and set it up in my boat this evening and closed it up. I also sanitized the shower sump just in case. There are a few spots of pink that came back but I purposely did not put any Tilex on them tonight. I want to see if they go away in the next day with the purifier running. They are close to the port windows and some areas in the mid-berth. I am really hoping this zaps the bacteria. What a pain...

good luck with it....could be too your boat just supports ovarian/breast cancer research

Right! Hopefully it will do the job. I don't like using Tilex on the vinyl if possible. Finally have a decent weekend to take it out.

Right! Hopefully it will do the job. I don't like using Tilex on the vinyl if possible. Finally have a decent weekend to take it out.

Thought I would give an update. I ran the ozone cleaner for 4 days with the cabin closed. It did help but did not entirely remove all pink on cabin vinyl. I used some Tilex again on a few spots and currently looks 99% gone. Still find it strange that it is only on the cabin vinly walls, headliner, mid-berth but not cabin cushions or cockpit cushions. We shall see if it makes a return as we get into summer. I did place a Damp Rid container in the cockpit to absorb any moisture that may be lurking. Not much else I can do for now except enjoy boating. :)

If you have shore power you could run a bit of heat in there. Sounds counter intuitive but 1% difference in temp (warmer on the inside) will drive moisture out of an enclosed space.

Think safe heaters etc.

They make them for RV's they look like small domes a little bigger than a plate.

I would suggest putting a few Damp-rid containers in it for storage next winter. I use these year round keeps all the mold and mildew gone.

matt

Thanks for posted this suggestion. As I'm trying to get the little things done in preperation for this weekend, I bought one and have it hanging in my boat. It is neat to watch the bag fill with water. It works very well.

If you have shore power you could run a bit of heat in there. Sounds counter intuitive but 1% difference in temp (warmer on the inside) will drive moisture out of an enclosed space.

Think safe heaters etc.

They make them for RV's they look like small domes a little bigger than a plate.

Interesting... Never thought of that. I do have shore power as it sits in a slip. I also have a RV/boat heater as the Sig 240's only had AC as an option in 2007. Wish I had reverse cycle heat. I will have to try running my heater some this weekend.

This is a poor mans way but too prevent after you have gotten rid of the existing visable mold

take an old pair of panty hose and cut out one foot about 18 inches

fill it with white rice and tie a not in the top

hang it in the boat over a bucket

the rice will collect the moisture and drop it into the bucket

empty the bucket when its full

this will pull most of the moiusture out of the cabin

I also spray everything down with lysol before I leave the boat seems to help also

It is very humid here in the south so we have to stay on top of it

Harry

This is a poor mans way but too prevent after you have gotten rid of the existing visable mold

take an old pair of panty hose and cut out one foot about 18 inches

fill it with white rice and tie a not in the top

hang it in the boat over a bucket

the rice will collect the moisture and drop it into the bucket

empty the bucket when its full

this will pull most of the moiusture out of the cabin

I also spray everything down with lysol before I leave the boat seems to help also

It is very humid here in the south so we have to stay on top of it

Harry

Harry:

Poor man's idea but easy to do. I also like your idea of using Lysol before leaving the boat. Even here in the middle of summer we get some very hot & humid days/nights and since the boat is in a slip it is surrounded by constant moisture.

I am a big fan of dehumidifiers as preventative maintenance for my cabin for mold, rust, etc. I have a very small one right now (I think it is the Eva-dry, EDV-1100) and it worked well other than having to buy several power supplies because they burnt out. I am going with a larger, more powerful unit (Soleus Air DP1-30-03, 30 Pint Portable Energy Star Dehumidifier) to make sure it stays very dry in all conditions. I know it is overkill for my size of cabin but couldn't find a high-rated one between the two sizes. I have not had to deal with any rust or mold issues in the 6 years I have used these on two boats.

Worked in a newly opened Mercedes agency. The Break room upstairs grew Pink mold on the vinyl walls. They had to remove the covering and clean the walls ? They said it was the paste used to install.

Pink mold on boat seats only occurs when your boat seats are wet for a long time in warm area. The bacteria grow during this period when water get in touch with vinyl for long time in warm moisture.  This bacteria hard to remove  from boat seats.  The microorganisms start in the foam and feed on the plasticizers in the vinyl. The warm climate assorted with wetness from the water creates a place for mold to grow.