Timmay

Engine Start Times

Maybe it's just me but anyone else with a Merc 350 who experiences longer than "normal" start times? It seems like whenever i'm around another boat and they go to start it the thing fires before they're even done turning the key. I need to have my key turned for at least 4 seconds before my boat finally decides to fire. It's not old, an 08, but i'm wondering if I should bring it in to have it looked at or if that's just the way it's supposed to be. Other boats they turn the key and I barely hear the motor turn over, it just fires. Not so much on mine.

Completely off topic too, I have an adjustable knob on the top of the engine, an advance ignition control or something like that. I haven't messed with it but it looks to be connected to the throttle cable. When I turn the boat on the thing clicks one way 3 or 4 times. I'm not sure if it has something to do with the PerfectPass or what, but i'm worried about that clicking.

Thanks again for all the help guys!

Mine isn't a 350 but it does the same other than 4 seconds, more like 2 seconds, but for sure doesn't start at the bump of the starter.

try turning on the ignition key when starting but pause for about 5 seconds until you turn the key all the way to the start position where the starter engages, or I listen for the fuel pump to come up to pressure and shut off, then I start the boat,

+1 what gl115 said. I always wait about 5 seconds after turning the key to the on position to let the fuel pumps do their thing before engaging the starter. They fire up in about 2 seconds.

I'll try that today on the muffs. Thanks for the help. I always turn the key and wait a second or two for the beep to stop, then turn the key. I'll wait a little longer this time. Like I said, the thing still fires just wondering if it's a bigger deal in my head than it should be.

try turning on the ignition key when starting but pause for about 5 seconds until you turn the key all the way to the start position where the starter engages, or I listen for the fuel pump to come up to pressure and shut off, then I start the boat,

+2, I always wait for the fuel pump to turn off before I engage the starter. Always fires up 1-2 seconds.

YUP...The difference between carbs and EFI is you need that few seconds for fuel to be injected for EFI rather than pumping the throttle. Sometimes you could have a clogged/water in fuel filter with todays lovely E10. However symptoms are a little different then.

Enjoy!!

The knob on top of hour engine is for your perfect pass. The clicking is normal. If you have your manual is shows you how you can calibrate certain settings and also make sure your perfect pass is working properly.

Have to love the Perfect Pass!

"The difference between carbs and EFI is you need that few seconds for fuel to be injected for EFI rather than pumping the throttle"

I'm glad my EFI vehicles don't require that. I'd take em back! Must be some safety item with the pressure release on enclosed motors, I'm guessing...