Sign in to follow this  
Captain Morgan

Window Tint

I saw a boat with its windows tinted this weekend on the lake. I thought it looked cool and it might be something I can do to make my boat look a little more modern. Has anyone tinted their windows? I was wanting to know how well it will hold up in a marine environment!

Mine has tint... well all of them did before Sunday. I was pressure washing the boat Sunday and the center window was open so i "cleaned" it too. Ooops. Took that tint right off.

Now on the down side of the tint is at night. You can not see squat. So this could be an improvement. LOL

Mine has tint... well all of them did before Sunday. I was pressure washing the boat Sunday and the center window was open so i "cleaned" it too. Ooops. Took that tint right off.

Now on the down side of the tint is at night. You can not see squat. So this could be an improvement. LOL

So was the tint applied to the outside of the window and not the inside? Sounds like it would be easier to install that way! Was your factory, or did you do it?

I tinted mine and loved it, not only made it look much better, but removed the glare from the water and made everything much more clear...

If you go with a cheap tint, you get what you pay for.. go with a quality tint and you won't regret it.. IMHO

here it what it looks like with tint...

DSC00008-2.jpg

wncrjb

I saw a boat with its windows tinted this weekend on the lake. I thought it looked cool and it might be something I can do to make my boat look a little more modern. Has anyone tinted their windows? I was wanting to know how well it will hold up in a marine environment!

We have a tint chain in town here, I think it's Tint Master, that will go onsite to tint windows. Great for people with boats that are in the water and don't have trailers.

I tinted mine and loved it, not only made it look much better, but removed the glare from the water and made everything much more clear...

If you go with a cheap tint, you get what you pay for.. go with a quality tint and you won't regret it.. IMHO

here it what it looks like with tint...

DSC00008-2.jpg

wncrjb

It looks nice! What percentage did you go with and did you put it on the inside or the outside of your windows?

I would recommend Llumar brand tint, and install it on the inside of the glass.

It looks nice! What percentage did you go with and did you put it on the inside or the outside of your windows?

I don't know the percentage of tint, I left that up to the the folks that tinted it. I've used them for over 10 years now, they have tinted everything I own, even my house windows...

I know the the tint they use is the highest quality, and so are they....

What I like is it looks very dark in direct sunlight but after dark it's very easy to see through.. and they installed it on the inside..

wncrjb

So was the tint applied to the outside of the window and not the inside? Sounds like it would be easier to install that way! Was your factory, or did you do it?

It was on the inside but i had the center walk thru window open.

The windows are also factory tinted but the prev. owner added more tint. Not sure why. I can not tell any real difference.

Window film in the context of a boat will not appear as dark as it will in a vehicle where the roof provides shading. So 20 percent (usually found on rear windows) on a boat will appear equal to 35 percent (usually found on the side windows) on a car. If you go any darker it is, IMO, dangerous and irresponsible. The reflection off the interior of the glass at night will make a boat with film difficult to see out of regardless of the level of light transmittance selected.

When performed out on the lake there is little to no isolation from airborn particles so any fine grit can become entombed between the glass and film permanently. If you are not particular then have it done outside but if you are more detail oriented then have it done in a controlled shop environment.

UV attacks and breaks down the film adhesives which causes film failure. In an open boat the interior surface gets bombarded with alot more UV than it would in a hardtop vehicle so film will not last as long depending on how you store the boat. Also, if you avoid ammonia-based window cleaners that serve to compromise the adhesives over time the film will last considerably longer. Plus, there is a vast difference in film quality and you do generally get what you pay for.

David

Earmark Marine

Mine is very similar to wyomark's. Came that way from the PO. It is way too dark for my taste and will be coming off soon.

JJ