Flange

Checking oil level properly

12 posts in this topic

I have a 1993 Chaparral 1800 SLC with 4.3L Merc. Someone is trying to tell me that the engine oil dipstick will only read the level properly when the boat is on the trailer, and not while its floating on the water. I'm having a hard time believing this, and unfortunately I can't find my owners manual to look it up. I'd sure appreciate it if someone can help resolve this. Thanks in advance!

If your boat isn't rocking violently on the water, a check of the oil level is acceptable. This isn't rocket scientry; you're only checking that the level is between the full and low marks. As to the trailer requirement: What if your boat isn't sitting perfectly level with the ground while it's on the trailer (as most boats aren't). Pure nonesense, IMHO. Hy

actually it is typically the opposite and best done in the water - the point is the engine block should be horizontally level when taking the measurement. If you really want to know but a level on your cylinder head on the trailer and in the water - when it is zeroed you are getting the best reading. Same as a car - check you oil on a hill and it is not accurate.

If warm or recently run, I'd let it sit for 15min so all the oil can drip back down into the pan. This would give a more accurate reading.

I have a 1993 Chaparral 1800 SLC with 4.3L Merc. Someone is trying to tell me that the engine oil dipstick will only read the level properly when the boat is on the trailer, and not while its floating on the water. I'm having a hard time believing this, and unfortunately I can't find my owners manual to look it up. I'd sure appreciate it if someone can help resolve this. Thanks in advance!

Hi!

Here is a link to the downloadable owners manuals http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=5

1. Boat in water.

2. Let cool for 10 mins.

3. Check dip stick.

If your that close to "add" where it makes a difference in the water or on the trailer... put some more oil in your boat.

Every manual I've read (including the one on my current boat) reads to check engine oil level at rest in the water. :beer-7687-1:

maybe.. here is what I was thinking but did not say above....

If the motor is normally not level when boating then checking the oil in that "non level" position will be most beneficial to the motor.

This is not the most accurate for the pan but for the sump.

Boat and engine sit pretty level on the trailer, when on level ground. Its hasn't been a matter of the oil level close to the add level, its been a matter of the level showing well above the full line. Boat full of fuel with me at the back maybe had a big enough effect on the reading. I agree, if the engine is close to level, then the reading should be pretty accurate. Stands to reason for sure. I thought that has been the case for the most part, but I'll have to verify it again. I was afraid we had the wrong dipstick or dipstick tube installed.