Sign in to follow this  
Richard W

Engine hatch mountining

There are the topics on this forum regarding safety and quality of arch mounting. There is another potential issue you might want to check ... engine hatch lift installation/mounting.

Here is how the lift was attached to the hatch on our boat. The picture says it all ... too long and loose screws, no washers, missing nuts. Also, the 4 out of 8 screws holding the hinges were loose.

med_gallery_11046_393_74658.jpg

Wow. That's shoddy. Does Chaparral actually moderate this board? If I were in charge and saw some of the stuff that goes out the door I'd be on the assembly floor kicking someones butt. That is totally unacceptable. I guess they figure if it cannot be seen no one will notice.

I'm surprised the fiberglass didn't crack due to the apparent binding of that bolt against the pole.

If they dont, they should. That has been my greatest issue with Chaparral Boats. They fasteners they use and the manner in which they are installed is very shotty. I always thought Chaparral was an upper scale boat. My sunpad, and bow cushions are poorly installed and designed. ALSO, straps and snaps on cushions ? Cheap Baylinerish crap.

If you ever want to see the difference, go look at Cobalt and Sea Ray.

The biggest issue is the engine bay on my 210SSI. If any of you out there has done your own service you know what I mean. Getting at the oil filter ( bought a relocation kit), fuel filter, and even the trim pump is a nightmare. Anything else the entire back of the boat literally has to be disasembled to service. This would mean the entire rear bench seat and side panels.

Shame on you Chaparral !

If they dont, they should. That has been my greatest issue with Chaparral Boats. They fasteners they use and the manner in which they are installed is very shotty. I always thought Chaparral was an upper scale boat. My sunpad, and bow cushions are poorly installed and designed. ALSO, straps and snaps on cushions ? Cheap Baylinerish crap.

The biggest issue is the engine bay on my 210SSI. If any of you out there has done your own service you know what I mean. Getting at the oil filter ( bought a relocation kit), fuel filter, and even the trim pump is a nightmare. Anything else the entire back of the boat literally has to be disasembled to service. This would mean the entire rear bench seat and side panels.

Shame on you Chaparral !

Agree totally that the bolts on the engine compartment is a terrible install from the factory. Also agree with you on the 210 SSi being a very difficult boat to service; especially with a carb'd MerCruiser engine. (no remote oil filter when one is badly needed!! - I had begged for at least the remote oil filter option on the factory Merc carb'd engine options list from Chap, but was denied)

I do take exception though with SeaRay being higher in installation quality. Just as bad IMHO. Design, layout, and certainly ride are sub-par vs. Chaparral overall, especially the ride and handling with a SR in the same class size as the 210 SSi. Too bad the 210 SSi didn't have a proper walk-thru like the new SSi WT boats have from the get-go.

Cobalt, they know full well how to piece a boat together for the most part, and they handle and ride like a Chaparral. One just has to focus more on paying for it...

Mine has a piece of painted oak (?) as a spacer and I think it helps spread out the load of the platform as well act as a seat/spacer for the longer bolts. Odd how every boat is assembled differently, one would think they would have a system down by now. Back in the day I can remember the rear door on my parents bought new car rusting out and there was no where else on the car with rust. Well to make a long story short, he took it in and it turned out that the person who assembled the car had left a flashlight in the door that exploded over time. Rarely do we see problems like that with cars nowadays. Boat building industry could learn allot from the auto industry. Where are the locking nuts on the bolts or at the very least a locking washer? Chap must have put the hatch on the boat the Friday before a long holiday weekend.

Yep, I have the Merc. 5.0 Carb model. When Mercruiser called me about my satisfaction with the engine I suggested that Mercruiser needs to take more interest in now their engines are installed in a boat. This model should come with the oil filter relocation kit. It was just a cost cutting measure on chaparrals part !

I had to lay across the top of the engine on a pillow and dangle my arm down the port side of the hot motor and change the oil filter completly by feel. I was lucky and did not drop the filter in the bilge or it would have been a pita to try and fish out.

If the bilge pump ever fails or anything else it will be a nightmare. Even the fuel filter is tricky.

NO EXCUSE FOR THIS ON A SUPPOSED TO BE HIGHER END BOAT

NONE !

Shame on you Chaparral !

volvo penta 5.0 gl carb engine in 210ssi is impossible to reach oil filter also...monkeys made it...also the piano hinges and lots of bolts s/b through bolted and are not(stupid lag bolts)..the stereo had no hanging bracket...the bones of the boat are great but as usual poor workmanship in the rigging and interior shop...sold my old boat and now i get to rebuild a lot of this new boat,,,,

volvo penta 5.0 gl carb engine in 210ssi is impossible to reach oil filter also...monkeys made it...also the piano hinges and lots of bolts s/b through bolted and are not(stupid lag bolts)..the stereo had no hanging bracket...the bones of the boat are great but as usual poor workmanship in the rigging and interior shop...sold my old boat and now i get to rebuild a lot of this new boat,,,,

Well said! Basically the boats are a good foundation, but get sub par assembly. I still haven't even had mine in the water yet as I have been redoing the wiring,plumbing, and fit finish issues. It's an '11 !!

Well said! Basically the boats are a good foundation, but get sub par assembly. I still haven't even had mine in the water yet as I have been redoing the wiring,plumbing, and fit finish issues. It's an '11 !!

Holy Crap !!!! Those issues STILL haven't been resolved ????

Hate to tell you guys, Cobalt isn't immune to these issues either. I was on a friends Cobalt 2 weeks ago. 3 year old boat, very well cared for. Fantastic boat, but it should be for that kind of money. But, even they have items that make you scratch your head. For example, the flip light that Chap puts on the bow of the boat isn't present on the Cobalt. When the anchor is deployed, if the boat swings, it rips the light clean off the boat. The replacement light they put on there, the cover came off while we were cruising across the bay. Yep, it was plastic and the plastic sheared off. Just not the greatest execution. Then last weekend, they were getting fuel and the piano wire strap that holds their fuel cap on snapped dropping their fuel cap into the water (My Chap and Sea Ray have a chain). Sure, its little stuff, but 99% of the gripes we have are little stuff as well, and I imagine the Cobalt forum has someone with similar problems to what you see here. Remember, these are hand made boats at the end of the day.

Richard - You had that boat surveyed...how did that get past the surveyor as well as the previous owner AND the dealer? It has to make noise as the hatch comes up? Did the recently replace the bolts for some reason?

I have had to put countless screws back in with loctite that have fallen out. Not sure if normal but still is aggrevating. Seems like if.there is normal vibration on a boat that would cause this they would put it on them at the factory.

I have had to put countless screws back in with loctite that have fallen out. Not sure if normal but still is aggrevating. Seems like if.there is normal vibration on a boat that would cause this they would put it on them at the factory.

And yet on my Chap, I have not had a screw fall out of anything in almost 5 years. I do check the screws and bolts to make sure they are tight maybe once every 8-9 months, but most have been as tight as the day I got the 290.

I have to agree a lot with this post. The foundation of the boat is sound, it's the details that Chaparral needs to work on. As they say, "the devil is in the details". Most of the stuff that needs be fixed/improved would add very little to the cost of building the boat and would save Chaparral money on warranty repairs after the sale. Example: Larger washers and SS lock nuts on bolts and maybe turning the screws on each bolt until they are tight. Actually tightening the fittings on faucets and slowing down when you're installing the sub-assemblies into the boat. 90% of the items my dealer fixed at the 1 year warranty work was cosmetic due to someone being in hurry and then scratching/chipping the fiberglass or because someone just didn't tighten a bolt or hose fitting during final assembly. Reminds me of US cars from the 70's and 80's with the lack of "paying attention to details" that allowed Japanese automakers to kick their butts. I realize boat sales are down, but the strong will survive and if Chaparral thinks future new boat buyers won't do a Google search for QC issues on the different boat brands they aren't going to last. As Lee Iacocca said, "you can lead, follow, or get out of the way!!"

I did a lot of research before we purchased our boat and felt Chaparral was a quality product, but as with previous boats I figured there would be areas that needed improvement. I was right and as such, I've replaced a lot of the screws/bolts with bigger washers and SS lock nuts and maybe spent 100 deer and a few minutes on each one replacing them, but I hear if you do it right the first time (Chaparral) the only extra cost is paying the difference between a regular nut and a locking one......maybe .05 cents each. My overall assessment of our Chap is that it's a very good, well built boat, but with a little attention to detail and some fine tuning it could be a great boat that would far surpass anything else on the water.

OK...I'm done. Just my :Twocents:

Richard - You had that boat surveyed...how did that get past the surveyor as well as the previous owner AND the dealer? It has to make noise as the hatch comes up? Did the recently replace the bolts for some reason?

I was shaking my head in disbelieve when I noticed the isssue after investigating why the hatch grinds against its base when being closed. To be precise, grinds and chips away the edge ... another gelcoat repair to do ... not happy.

Reminds me of US cars from the 70's and 80's with the lack of "paying attention to details" that allowed Japanese automakers to kick their butts. I realize boat sales are down, but the strong will survive and if Chaparral thinks future new boat buyers won't do a Google search for QC issues on the different boat brands they aren't going to last. As Lee Iacocca said, "you can lead, follow, or get out of the way!!"

This time with boats it will be Chinese who will kick everybody else's butt ... there is a rapidly growing boat industry in China.

My overall assessment of our Chap is that it's a very good, well built boat, but with a little attention to detail and some fine tuning it could be a great boat that would far surpass anything else on the water.

My feeling exactly ... just too bad that the high work ethics and systematic QA are not part of Chap's culture.

I have the same grinding/chipping problem with one strut on my engine cover. Perhaps if Lexus got into the boating business ...

Bonzai!

I was shaking my head in disbelieve when I noticed the isssue after investigating why the hatch grinds against its base when being closed. To be precise, grinds and chips away the edge ... another gelcoat repair to do ... not happy.

I checked mine this weekend while out on the boat. Oddly enough, mine is mounted with the screws going back into the hatch support cross member. I am wondering if someone has modified yours at some point, and just didn't pay attention when putting it back together. Just seems like a big issue to have lasted more than 2 or 3 uses...

I checked mine this weekend while out on the boat. Oddly enough, mine is mounted with the screws going back into the hatch support cross member. I am wondering if someone has modified yours at some point, and just didn't pay attention when putting it back together. Just seems like a big issue to have lasted more than 2 or 3 uses...

I also checked this weekend. Like what TXTWIN has. It was a solid mount. Good thing with that heavy hatch.

If the 270 Sig hatch is around 300lb, so I was told, the 330 Sig hatch must be around 500lb and much wider ... it better be well mounted with a solid cross support.

In the photo it looks like there is an extra thickness/something under the gelcoat where the lift mount is (suppose to be) bolted. No sign of a cross member ever being installed ... it looks to me as a temporary or unfinished install at the factory. I wonder what other 270 Sig owners can see under their boat's hood?

I don't have a clue what the hatch on the 330 weighs, but 500 is a good guess. I hope I never have to find out!

Since I just had mine off for engine R&R, the 330 hatch is between 800-1000 lbs. Many of the mechanics I tried to work with didn't have the tools to remove it due to the weight. There is a huge 4x8 cross support running the entire width of the hatch that the lift bolts to.

have a 2009 310. my problem was that the factory put the lift attachment to the engine door with no stiffner two different screws one a countersunk shank and the other a plain pan head. After a year the piston rod pulled out of the door. The chap dealer had to put a reinforcing block to the underside of the door in order to reconnect the piston to the door. I agree that chap has to put more time into their Quality control.