watson524

What to take for a dinner on the boat?

So here's a question I thought I might get some input on. We don't have a sink or grill on our boat but like to go out in the evenings during the week (calm waters) cruise a bit and then float and eat dinner. For times like this, what would you guys take with you for food? Typically, we'll throw some beer and soda in the cooler and get Subway on the way to the dock but it gets boring. We don't have a table or anything in the boat so it needs to be fairly easy to gather up. Ideas? Would love to hear what other folks take out.

Our evening cruises or floats normally include a bottle of Pinot Grigio and a few varieties of cheese with crackers.

Try some Chinese food. Most restaurants (Chinese and others) offer take out from their menu. Explore and try a few alternatives. Plus there is always pizza.

we try to frequent the food establishments on the water and support their business. Cheese, fresh fruit, --the admiral likes to do veggies- with dip-- look at items that are consumable and you are not left with a lot of containers to deal with. A good rule of thumb -- will fit in a ziplock bag? bags collapse and become refuse.

We do like to go to the local places on the lake too but unfortunately, there's not a lot of options for dock and dine where I am. And two of the options we do have (of the 3) keep their docks in questionable condition so I'm always hesitant to use them. Good tip on the veggies and such though. I also thought I could probably grill some chicken (since it has to be something that can be consumed cold) and put it in a salad in a Tupperware container. Welcome to any and all ideas!

chicken and salad a good idea gain the salad works well in a ziplock. I just hate plastic containers that I have to keep up with and then drag home

We also like taking out the veggies with a dip. The other thing I like a lot is to make up a chicken salad and put into a wrap. Don't even have to have a fork to eat it, = no clean up. Also some cut up water melon in a plastic bag is good for a cool snack. This time of the year we look for meals that don't require any cooking on the boat - just to darn hot to stand out in the sun and grill.

You could always grab a loaf of bread and stop by a BBQ restaurant on the way, grab some pulled pork BBQ, some potato salad or cole slaw depending on your preference, some chips and even some BBQ ribs if you're really in the mood. Grab a couple of paper plates and paper plate holders, ride out, anchor, or drift and serve dinner using the engine box as a table. Come time to wash up, dive in!

You can fix chicken, hamburgers, hot dogs, shrimp ect at home

Wrap in foil

Put on top of engine

Will stay warm for a long time

Sometimes I cook (at home) chicken breast with a slice of cheese and tomato with red potatoes and something green

Wrap it in individual foil (1 serving per passenger) and just put it on the engine

There are hundreds of things that you can fix using the engine

Harry

Got any room on the engine block? We've heated foil-wrapped pepperoni rolls with sauce, peppers & cheese (drool5.gifit's a WV thing; most of you won't understand the goodness that is WV pepperoni rolls) or steak hoagies on the engine block while underway. There was a thread on this a while back, but I couldn't find the link. I'm sure pulled pork could be carefully wrapped in several layers of foil and heated the same way.

I just added a little table to my bowrider and it has easily been the best mod to date. We use the heck out of it!

Wow.... I can't say as I ever thought of heating things on the engine..... We have a big "dog house" cover on ours so I don't for sure know how much clearance there is when I slide that back. It can't be much but if I wedge something in a foil packet under one of the random hoses coming from the carb, it might be able to sit there and not cause a mess.

I am a lucky man, my spouse loves to cook and try out new foods. She has brought anything from fried chicken, cold precooked burgers, shrimp stuffed spring rolls to lobster sandwiches on our boat. She brings dips, chips and cheeses as well as sliced apples, strawberries or blueberries depending on whats in season. Beer seems to be our standard drink and we try to mix that up as well as we both like the different styles of brews out there and have brought bottled beers from Victory, Yards to New Castle and Stella's. Our small 25qt under seat cooler is for drinks and she packs all the food items in a separate fabric cooler which fits nicely behind the passenger seat. We boat with two to three other families and when we anchor up there is always a great spread between us. Boating for us is about doing what you love and having fun doing it. Good food and drink just seem to add to that. She hangs a large trash bag over the rear of one of the seats or tied to the handle at our sink where all the paper plates and disposable utensils and trash end up. If you don't have a table, I would recommend getting one that can be stowed/installed as they are a priceless. Keep some pre-moistened paper towels handy if you don't have a sink as they are great for cleaning up spilled food. That and a bucket for washing the deck down with raw water. Upon return, the trash bag goes right into the marina dumpster. I don't know if I am ready to let her try cooking on the engine block yet, but certainly an interesting possibility.

:beer-7687-1:

Another great discussion!

clapsmiley.gif

I am gonna put in at my local lake Friday morning with my daughter, first mate and fishing buddy Madi: (13 years old and she still likes her old man). After she and I catch a few fish my wife and the sleep-in crew will join us for tubing and a picnic. I will try some of the suggestions here to ensure a good lunch will be had by all!!

Thanks!

Wade

peel and eat shrimp, it needs to be on ice anyway and the tails can be thrown away or overboard for other creatures to eat.

Look online for "Taco salad in a bag". We love to do that and have dinner on the boat. As mentioned veggies, or a pre-roasted chicken have been consumed as well.

Taco Salad in a bag, now that one I definitely have to look for. These are all great ideas guys and my husband and I thank you. Keep them coming. I might have to start a drink thread too. We do not bring mixed drinks out just cans/bottles of soda/water/beer but I hear there are some fairly easy mixes that can be done up. I just need to be concerned about spillage because in the old boat, it's carpet that's glued down and has been kept in really good shape all these years and I'd hate to ruin it.

Taco Salad in a bag, now that one I definitely have to look for. These are all great ideas guys and my husband and I thank you. Keep them coming. I might have to start a drink thread too. We do not bring mixed drinks out just cans/bottles of soda/water/beer but I hear there are some fairly easy mixes that can be done up. I just need to be concerned about spillage because in the old boat, it's carpet that's glued down and has been kept in really good shape all these years and I'd hate to ruin it.

Drinks, now your talking! Big Bucket Margarita Mix freeze the night before and put in the ice chest and no spillage. :drinkinBuddies:

Now let's not go crowding my food thread! LOL! I have to post a separate one on drinks.

And as for the big bucket thing, my husband loves those, and the Sangria version of them! Guess I better get a bigger cooler.

I will weigh in one more time for us cajuns- we take boudin and hog head cheese- loaf of fresh white bread ma yea! no need for nuthin else!

Did anybody read the latest article in Boat US? Seems that there is a growing [still small] desire to catch and eat Asian Carp. I am not a fish lover unless it is buried in beer batter.

Did anybody read the latest article in Boat US? Seems that there is a growing [still small] desire to catch and eat Asian Carp. I am not a fish lover unless it is buried in beer batter.

I think catching Asian Carp should be easy, they jump right in the boat! I think it was the Mayor of Chicago that said that to controll them we should eat them. It had something to do with a waterway into the great lakes. Now the question about eating them, I do hope that was cooked! If not cooked I guess that would fit in with this thread. Carp jumps in boat, smack carp to kill, cut off piece of carp, eat, and wash down with beer. :wacko: