Sign in to follow this  
redstoneread

Sunesta 210 Bilge

I have a 1997 Sunesta 210 (love the boat and it is in great shape :) ). I have noticed recently that the bilge pump is coming on frequently while docked. I replaced the drain plug thinking the old was not seating but it continued. Any ideas on what else to check?

Thanks!

W

You didn't mention which outdrive you have but would have to agree with the bellows. If it is the bellows it is something that need to be fixed ASAP.

Welcome to the forum redstoneread . We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers for you to do (if you have not already done so) to help us help you:

1. By clicking on your name in the upper right corner to bring up your options select my profile to add into your signature your location (geographic area).

2. Also under your signature add the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.

3. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.

4. Take a minute to review our Terms of Service, again right corner. There is good information in there that you will want to know including that we cannot discuss pricing. But read some of our other posts on here to learn the work around for that. ;)

5. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.

6. Take some time to look through the Help (upper right corner) and > Info Center) located under Chaparral Boats Forum on the main page. From there you will find parts guides, brochures, manuals, specifications, canvas installation manuals, vinyl care information, square gauge setup, weather links, computer desktop backgrounds, etc. Lots of good stuff there for you and your Chaparral!

7. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger.

:thl_speedboat:

Thanks for the reply. I have a V-8 Mercruiser IO with and Alpha Drive. I have the freshwater tank but it's not filled. How do I check the bellows and is it an easy repair?

Thanks for the reply. I have a V-8 Mercruiser IO with and Alpha Drive. I have the freshwater tank but it's not filled. How do I check the bellows and is it an easy repair?

At the rear of the engine you should be able to see were the drive is and if leaking you should be a able to tell if water is entering in that area. As for an easy repair, depends on your skill level. It will require the removal of the outdrive. I personnel do not feel that it is in my skill set, so my trusted mechanic gets to do those things.

If the bellows is leaking it is something that needs to be repaired now, it can not wait because it will only tear more as it is used. It is possible for it to tear a big enough hole that the bilge pump will not be able to keep up and it can quickly cause damage to the engine components.

Another possibility if boat has an swim platform, the screws were attached tothe hull have been known to leak. Also a cracked thur-hull can cause problems.

I always start with the most obvious which from the post it sounds like there is no record of when the main bellows, exhaust bellows or shift cable bellows, etc. were last changed. Do you know when this service was last done? Should be every couple of years, but many people don't do it because of either cost or inconvenience. To that I respond, how inconvenient would it be to have your boat sink? Can be done as a DIY job if your mechanically inclined, have some specialty Mercruiser tool and can read a service manual. Good Luck, but like MPM said, this is not something you want to be waiting to do.

Thanks all for the input. I am going to have the local Mercrusier mechanic pull the boat and check the bellows. I could probably handle the mechanical side if a) I had the time and B) if I had the time :) Best to leave it to experts to be sure it gets done correctly. There is nothing screwed in or attached otherwise that can cause a leak and since it is stationary and bilging once per hour, the diagnosis seems on target. I never had the bellows checked/repaired/replaced and am the original owner. I did have a block replaced a few years back (bad winterization job by a local storage facility) and carb rebuilt last year but other than that...nothing. Appreciate the help! Wayne - Lake Redstone (LaValle, WI).