lawdog

REMOVING SPIDER **** AND STAINS

My boat is on a lift and dock that is infested with spiders. I am not afraid of these little guys, but man do they leave a mess. Every time when we take out the boat and uncover the mooring cover we have to fight and kill spiders either on the cover or inside my boat. Is there a home remedy that can be placed in the interior of the boat under the cover or sprayed on the exterior to prevent these little guys from hanging out. Today i went to see if i could pressure the sides of my boat were the spider poop has accumulated and stained the hull. The power washer removed the piles of small residue, but did not remove the stain. What can i use to removed the stain and also deter these little guys from visiting. Help

Spider poop is hard to get off. Have to fight them every year. This spring when the boat was out of the slip I sprayed the dock down with Home Defense that I got at Lowes. I also got some spider spray there that I have sprayed into the areas that they like to hide in the day. A really good coat of wax and this year I still see some, but not like in the past. The other good part is I have not walked into any webs this year. As for cleaning off the crap, I have found that Turtle Wax car wash works really well. A lot of the owners will say not to use car wash on the boat, but been doing it for many years and my boats always look great. I think it is all the same stuff as boat wash you just pay more for boat wash.

Can i spray this Home Defense on the exterior side and top of my boat to prevent them from hanging out.

Star-Bright makes a spider repellent, but I have never used it. I just wash the boat before each use. Seems to keep the spiders from getting too big and breeding. I kill them when I find them and always take a brush and wash the exterior hull around the rub rail and lamps to get rid of them. If you find something else that works, by all means please post it.

I feel your pain... I got so tired of dealing with 30min of spider cleanup each time I wanted to use the boat... not to mention the occasional bite (1 was particularly bad and made me really sick for 4 days)...

My only solution was to go from here

Boatonlift.jpg

to here...

Boat2011covered.jpg

I think the fact that the boat is prob 140 F on hot days keeps the spiders away... HOWEVER I am getting pretty tired of pulling the cover off and getting burned on the windshield frame, and any other metal part.

:slap:

Have you tried dryer sheets for the interior? This was suggested a few years back and I've had good success using the "unscented" dryer sheets in mine. I generally throw about 12-16 in various places at the end of the day. It has reduced the spiders but not 100% effective. Cheap fix, though.

Spider poop is hard to get off. Have to fight them every year. This spring when the boat was out of the slip I sprayed the dock down with Home Defense that I got at Lowes. I also got some spider spray there that I have sprayed into the areas that they like to hide in the day. A really good coat of wax and this year I still see some, but not like in the past. The other good part is I have not walked into any webs this year. As for cleaning off the crap, I have found that Turtle Wax car wash works really well. A lot of the owners will say not to use car wash on the boat, but been doing it for many years and my boats always look great. I think it is all the same stuff as boat wash you just pay more for boat wash.

I'm not sure, Mike. Car wash is made to wash metal. Boat wash is made to wash fiberglas. People wash is made to wash skin. I would not vary from the intended use to save a buck or two. I buy the boat wash which is also OK for the lake.

I use Terro spider spray. See this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GXUKAQ/ref=asc_df_B000GXUKAQ1621188?smid=A1QTD1JR6DNCXK&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B000GXUKAQ

When I close up at the end of the day, I spray this into the cabin and then close all doors and hatches. Seal there fate! Then I snap down most of the cover and spray again, then snapping the remaining cover. I don't have spider problems. They do come back so you have to spray again occasionally.

Warning: Don't breath this stuff in. It will KILL you!!! I'm not kidding. One night, I accidently got a lung full of this stuff and even though my lungs were moving, I wasn't getting any oxygen. I really thought I was going to die that night. So be very careful.

Never on no-skid, but the rest of the boat(s) thats all I ever used, why use citric acid ( boat soap) unless its needs it,works great and has sheeting action to dry itself.

Use Home Defense to your dock lines and the dock, works for me.

beer-7687-1.gif

never thought of that but sounds like a good idea.

Have you tried dryer sheets for the interior? This was suggested a few years back and I've had good success using the "unscented" dryer sheets in mine. I generally throw about 12-16 in various places at the end of the day. It has reduced the spiders but not 100% effective. Cheap fix, though.

I use the dryer sheets also, I use the scented ones, I like the fresh washed smell,

"Hot Shot" Spider spray usually at Home Cheapo. Spray under the rub rail, the cleats, and dock lines. I sometimes go on the hunt at night with a flashlight. You will catch them hanging in all kinds of places. Just be careful around the clear plastic windows.

I don't use the Home Defense on the boat surface, just spray dock and lines. This seems to help keep them off the boat. The Terro Spider Spray I did spray on some areas of the boat, but not on the finished surfaces. Not having a problem with the spiders since doing this. The Terro spray as mentioned, be carefull with it, nasty stuff.

As for the car wash it is biodegradable, so it is as good for the lake as the boat wash. I have tried several boat wash products and none take the spider crap off the boat the way that Turtle Wax Wash does. It also does not leave spots on the black gelcoat. A good coat of wax on the boat also makes it easier to get the spider spots off and they don't seem to be able to get their webs to attach to the boat.

Have tried using dryer sheets, not much luck with the spiders, but the mud wasps don't seem to like them.

I have been using the home defense spray for the past 2 seasons. It works pretty well. I spray the boat, the dock, the dock lines, the fenders...basically everywhere the little monsters get. You have to reapply every few weeks if your slip is not covered, less often if it is. I have had no stains on the gelcoat, and mostly no spider poop or webs on the boat. I tried the spider away stuff, it actually seemed to attract more bugs with the pepppermint smell. Didn't have the spiders with it, but bees, mud gobbers, wasps, and other crawling creatures showed up.

I use boat wash with wax, works well and costs about the same as car wash. Do 3-4 washes per year usually. That being said, while car wash is formulated for most cars, many cars have fiberglass or some other plastic on them these days, so its probably not as bad as it was 10 years ago. If you use a good car wash, probably not the end of the world.

Mike - check Academy for some of your boat maintenance stuff. They seem to have prices at or better than even Walmart sometimes.

Mike - check Academy for some of your boat maintenance stuff. They seem to have prices at or better than even Walmart sometimes.

Thanks for the advise. :clapsmiley:

Try this

Clean dock and surrounding with bleach and water

just pull your boat out so you do not get and bleach on the boat

spray everything down

and like everyone else says spray your dock lines with somekind of spider killer spray

Harry

Try this

Clean dock and surrounding with bleach and water

just pull your boat out so you do not get and bleach on the boat

spray everything down

and like everyone else says spray your dock lines with somekind of spider killer spray

Harry

Harry - How much bleach? I am not sure Texas Parks and Wildlife is going to appreciate pouring bleach into the lake...

Harry - How much bleach? I am not sure Texas Parks and Wildlife is going to appreciate pouring bleach into the lake...

Probably ranks right up there with spraying bug spray in the lake. :D They have some strange ideas about stuff like that. When we kept our boat up at Texoma we put a shower up on the dock. They didn't like that, but I could use the shower on the back of the boat or the one in the head and that was OK. It all went in the lake. :slap:

Probably ranks right up there with spraying bug spray in the lake. :D They have some strange ideas about stuff like that. When we kept our boat up at Texoma we put a shower up on the dock. They didn't like that, but I could use the shower on the back of the boat or the one in the head and that was OK. It all went in the lake. :slap:

ACOE sprays the docks with bug spray, of course they also walk around twice per year with a blowtorch to get rid of the spiders webs and birdsnests up in the rafters...go figure. :haha-7383:

It does amaze me the things that bother them. For example, I can't have a dock box, but I also can't leave my boat cover on the dock because it's "untidy". HUH???

Bleach is found in your drinking water

It is also used in every food establishment to sterilize everything that food touches

I use a bottle that can be bought at Lowes for cleaning outside around the house (you connect it to your hose)

It has a switch on it that allows that bleach to be siphoned out

You can switch it back a get just water to wash it down with clean water

Harry

Bleach is found in your drinking water

It is also used in every food establishment to sterilize everything that food touches

I use a bottle that can be bought at Lowes for cleaning outside around the house (you connect it to your hose)

It has a switch on it that allows that bleach to be siphoned out

You can switch it back a get just water to wash it down with clean water

Harry

Yep, just asking how much. :)

If you get the bottle from Lowes it will delute it perfect

If you can get between the floatation and the walkway and everything around

Harry

We use a spider net above our boat keeps about 80% poop of the boat.

I came across a product called "Tempo" at our local feed store.

Mix it with a gallon water per instructions and spray dock, spider net, lines, around bimini cover

and under the rub rail. we also spray inside and outside of our cabin and house with it.

It works really well.

But like all other critters you need to change it up once and a while

I use the home defence from Lowes then.

Jim :thsmilie_water_119-1:

I have had great success using Super Clean in getting off stains. We have cottonwood trees around the boat which leave nasty yellow stains, and Super Clean is the only thing I have found that gets it off. You can pick it up at any automotive store. I would dilute 50/50 into a spray bottle for testing it, but I had to use full strength.

Hit superclean.com and you can find a store near where you are.