lawdog

REMOVING SPIDER **** AND STAINS

Spiders are there because there are PLENTY of insects to eat. Kill the insects. Flying insects that love some colors. Or lay eggs on or near the water surface.  Been there.

Marinas have LOADS of night lights on. You have a built in problem that is difficult to correct.

i have had some success w/ dryer sheets.  i place an open box and scattered sheets just under the bow canvas and a few boxes on the helm etc.  the scented ones work better than non scented.  it doesn't eliminate the spiders but i do see a drastic reduction

I have the hidden corners of the boats sprayed when they are ready for winter storage. Huge improvement the next spring.

5 hours ago, Slapshot said:

Are moth balls or cedar balls effective?

i would put the dryer sheets before smelly moth balls.  The sheets have worked well on mine over the last two years.

Old topic ... +1 on Bounce dryer sheets.

Just do not lay them directly on anything you care about as they can mar the surface of some plastics and vinyls.

We see several fellow boat owners use spider nets, the name of which escapes me.  They report success.  We are typically keeping the snap-down cover on the boat when we leave, and it helps greatly to keep to arachnids out of the boat, in addition to bird droppings, dust, and other debris.  But, like Cyclops said, it's a feeding ground for spiders.  I could go out there every day and would have to use a broom or hand brush to remove new debris.  Maybe I should use some insecticides sparingly, but I hope it doesn't do too much damage to some of the aquatic life that comes to visit.  Some friends like to fish near our slip.  I think I should try some of the suggestions that I've seen here...

Us northern Yankees have it easier.

Our floating docks are pulled out each fall. That is when we spray them with commercial spider repellant.  The boats are also sprayed.  We have all native & invasive water weeds fighting it out.  Same amount of insects, bees & all other swarms.  The US E P A is a BUSSINESS run by greedy business people.

In 20 years all boats will be made of baked clay in the sunlight & sails made of corn leaves.  Have to protect that corn lobby.

If anyone in the North or Central Texas area is still having issues with spiders, please contact me and I would love to talk with you about a solution for them that has been very helpful in eradicating spiders.

817-729-3191

Ross

The best product I have found to control spiders is Viper. It comes in a concentrate.it is available on Amazon or your local feed store.  Mix it with water at it works great. Maker sure you spray your dock lines and around your cleats. That it usually their primary point of enter. The starbright spider clearer is good as well as mean green. You can never completely elimate them, but you can slow them down. 

I have a ZAPPER from Harbor Fright. I go out to the boat on a dark night wearing kitchen washing gloves. With a flashlight & the ZAPPER.

I lift the cover quickly for about 1 or 2 feet. Zapper is pressed ON ! cover up.  See spider.     ZAPPP I get10 10 to 30 in peak season each week.

And my dock has NO dock lights on at night.     If the docks are lit ?   More spiders & bugs on & under covers.

The Playtex gloves ?  To prevent a spider bite.  Some are BIG & FAST.   :thl_speedboat:

Some spider bites will rot / dissolve a little flesh at the bite site.  Not bitten yet.:)

I haven't figured out how to deter them, but Star Brite Bird and Spider Remover is the BEST.

I use a water hose to wet the deck, spray on the poop remover, within a few seconds you see the poop "melting", turn the water hose back on and wash all the poop off.

Takes about 5 minutes to completely clean.

https://www.amazon.com/Star-brite-Spider-Stain-Remover/dp/B00EXIVYQE/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1547347603&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=star+brite+bird+and+spider+remover&psc=1