wjjeeper

Hose in engine compartment?

Just wanted to run this past the pros.

In the engine compartment of my 220 SSI there's a black hose, garden hose end with a cap. I know that it drains the water from the block.

My question is can I winterize through it aswell? What is the procedure.

Also should I get in the habit of draining the block whenever I pull the boat to prevent rust in the cooling passages or is it better to leave it?

Just wanted to run this past the pros.

In the engine compartment of my 220 SSI there's a black hose, garden hose end with a cap. I know that it drains the water from the block.

My question is can I winterize through it aswell? What is the procedure.

Also should I get in the habit of draining the block whenever I pull the boat to prevent rust in the cooling passages or is it better to leave it?

Can't comment on that hose, as I have a difficult time visualizing where it would be connected to.

But, leaving the engine completely drained will actually promote rusting with the air in there instead of liquid (unless of course it is salt water sitting in there). Flush all the salt water out and leave fresh water in it. Tis a different story when the temps drop, either antifreeze or no water at all......

If it is the one with the blue cap on it, that is actually made to flush engine with hose. A little easier than hooking the muffs on the outdrive. When coming from saltwater though, I still flush with muffs to get the whole system clean. :boating:

Ok. So each side of the block has brass fittings threaded in to it and they Y together. M assuming this is to drain the block but I can't winterize thru it?

Ok. So each side of the block has brass fittings threaded in to it and they Y together. M assuming this is to drain the block but I can't winterize thru it?

What's your powerplant? Make, Model, Outdrive?

I winterize thru mine. I first drain all the water out, pull the manifold plugs and also remove the two hoses from the water pump to drain all water (this is a 2002 VP 5.0 GXI). I then hook a bucket with a hose and valve in the bottom to the hose in the engine compartment and fill the bucket with antifreeze. Keeping the bucket higher than the engine I open the valve and allow the antifreeze to fill the block. When it starts to come out of where the water pump hoses are unhooked I hook them up. When it comes out of the manifold plugs, I plug them up. When it comes out of the outdrive in back, I'm done.

I winterize thru mine. I first drain all the water out, pull the manifold plugs and also remove the two hoses from the water pump to drain all water (this is a 2002 VP 5.0 GXI). I then hook a bucket with a hose and valve in the bottom to the hose in the engine compartment and fill the bucket with antifreeze. Keeping the bucket higher than the engine I open the valve and allow the antifreeze to fill the block. When it starts to come out of where the water pump hoses are unhooked I hook them up. When it comes out of the manifold plugs, I plug them up. When it comes out of the outdrive in back, I'm done.

Sounds like you have the same motor and set up as I do. Thanks for the procedure write up.

Where exactly are the manifold plugs?