htowngirl

Vinyl seats turning purple

This is definitely a heat issue and not a color transfer issue. You are almost burning your vinyl and it is discoloring, but it will go back to normal if left in the heat uncovered.

My previous boat had this problem as I had a black cover for it. Current one has a blue cover and no issue with it at all.

It can get bad enough to actually damage/burn the vinyl permanently if you do not treat your vinyl and keep it clean. In multiple years under the Vegas sun my previous boat never had any permanent damage as a result. Talking to my dealer here, they were very upfront about the issue with boats with black covers in our heat but stressed that keeping the vinyl clean and protected with whatever product you like the best it would not cause any permanent damage.

Even still it bothered me so I eventually went to a light grey cover and it never happened again.

On my 264 I have had no issue at all with the factory blue snap on covers.

I'm regretting the black cover. Yes, it looks the best on the boat, but it's not worth ruining the interior.

Has anyone had any success with putting a vent(s) in their cover? If it helped, what kind and how many did you use?

The cockpit cover on my 330 is black and heat we have here. Not seen my seats turn purple, of course the boat is in a slip that is covered. The cover also has a vent in it.

Its funny but the swimming pool above ground manifolds with exposed white large PVC piping turn a brown stain on top after exposure for just a few years. Lots of clear and hot days in Texas. So you would think thats pure UV exposure since its only on top.

The purple pigment is curious. Since lighter pigments are the first to oxidize this may be leaving the darker red and blue (purple).

David

Earmark Marine

I believe it is heat as well. I would love to know if your new cover makes a difference. We talked about doing that too, even though our black cover is new, just to use when it's parked outside in the heat. Maybe somethng light that won't absorb heat like black does.

The outfit making my cover strongly suggested to stay away from the dark color sunbrella. So I decided on a light gray. He suggested light gray or light blue were the best colors to last particularly in the Arizona heat. We will see how it works out.

The outfit making my cover strongly suggested to stay away from the dark color sunbrella. So I decided on a light gray. He suggested light gray or light blue were the best colors to last particularly in the Arizona heat. We will see how it works out.

Would you mind replying to this thread again when you get your new cover? I would love to know if it made a difference. Might be worth getting a new one if it does. I hate worrying about what our black cover will do to our new seats.

Would you mind replying to this thread again when you get your new cover? I would love to know if it made a difference. Might be worth getting a new one if it does. I hate worrying about what our black cover will do to our new seats.

Ok will do. It will be in about two weeks or so.

After 3 weeks of biting my nails ...

We left the boat 3 weeks ago covered with cockpit cover and not a camper cover as usual. The boat was in in full sun during the last heat wave, and the cover was resting directly on a lounge's backrest. Happy to report ... the vinyl on my boat has not turned purple at all.

After 3 weeks of biting my nails ...

We left the boat 3 weeks ago covered with cockpit cover and not a camper cover as usual. The boat was in in full sun during the last heat wave, and the cover was resting directly on a lounge's backrest. Happy to report ... the vinyl on my boat has not turned purple at all.

We've replaced about 75% of our vinyl so far, including the captains chairs and I'm so afraid to cover it out in the heat! It's so hot here lately. It's usually in enclosed storage but the first time we keep it outside, I'll be biting my nails too! I'm hoping the damage on the old vinyl is from something the previous owner did. It was a Florida boat and stayed in the heat. Time will tell. Just wish our cover wasn't black......

As I posted earlier, I am picking up my new custom cover today (light gray). After discussing this issue with the manufacturer he mentioned the discoloration that appears and then disappears after some time after being exposed is definitely mold. He also strongly recommended to prevent damage to the vinyl that there be a towel or some sort over the vinyl in areas where the cover actually makes contact with the vinyl especially here in Arizona heat.

Once I have the cover and its on for a few days or so I will post again to see if any of this stuff actually works.

Not sure if I buy the mold theory, at least in my situation. I did get a dark cover, regretting it now, and I get a purple/brown discoloration only on the rear lounge backrest. It goes away after a few hours in the sun though. The amount is about the same whether it is covered for a day in hot weather or for several weeks. I even have a heavy moving pad between it and the cover.

At this point I will continue to treat with 303 protectant and hope for the best.

Good luck to everyone else with similar issues.

Mike

Not sure if I buy the mold theory, at least in my situation. I did get a dark cover, regretting it now, and I get a purple/brown discoloration only on the rear lounge backrest. It goes away after a few hours in the sun though. The amount is about the same whether it is covered for a day in hot weather or for several weeks. I even have a heavy moving pad between it and the cover.

At this point I will continue to treat with 303 protectant and hope for the best.

Good luck to everyone else with similar issues.

Mike

It seems more thermal heat damage, just given the pattern of it. Mine also turn purple/brown and it's much more prevalent where the cover is closest to the seats. And obviously a dark cover will absorb more heat than a light cover (mine is black). It seems like mold would be prevalent where it's moist, like where the seats meet. But the manufacturers say mold, but are they the manufacturers of the vinyl? Or the boat? Is it to get out of warranty issues because mold would not be covered? All I know is I regret my black cover and we just bought it. Using 303 also and hoping it works. I've read good things about it, so fingers crossed.

I'm not buying the mold story either. It's dried when I cover it and w/ single digit humidity it's just too dry here for mold to grow.

I noticed my Sunesta grew purple/pink spots about dime size randomly on several of the white vinyl cushions on various seats in the boat. It can`t be a tarp issue as mine has not been covered in the six weeks that I have owned it. It looks like it came from the foam inside the seat but I`m not certain. It will not clean off with anything that i have used thus far. I hope somebody comes up with a solution.

i just bought my boat from tx and the seats have the same discoloration i have been using a cleaner from car brite called see spot go and a cleaning pad called magic eraser wich yo can get from your local supper market it takes alot of work but it does clean up. if it is a mold you can use ammonia to remove it but you have too use a vinyl conditioner when you are done or it will dry and crack. good luck

Unfortunately the brand new light gray sunbrella cover did little to improve the vinyl seat discoloration issue. After having it covered for 2 weeks with a heavy "moving" type blanket between the cover and the area that gets discolored there was little improvement. The discoloration wasn't as bad but still there. And as usual, after a few hours in the sun without the cover the discoloration was gone. Not sure what the issue is..mold, thermal heat damage...etc but it is very odd that after being in the sun for a few hours the color disapears.

Unfortunately the brand new light gray sunbrella cover did little to improve the vinyl seat discoloration issue. After having it covered for 2 weeks with a heavy "moving" type blanket between the cover and the area that gets discolored there was little improvement. The discoloration wasn't as bad but still there. And as usual, after a few hours in the sun without the cover the discoloration was gone. Not sure what the issue is..mold, thermal heat damage...etc but it is very odd that after being in the sun for a few hours the color disapears.

Wow, I'm sure sorry to hear that. I was hoping that was the solution. We've got 90% of our seats recovered at this point and we're afraid to have it outside in this scorching Texas summer. Wish I knew what the answer was.

Thanks for posting!!!

my neoprene life jackets placed at the contact points have worked well for me this summer. Still a little transfer but not much, maybe 10% transfer of the color now. And we all know it's gone in no time once in the sun.

my neoprene life jackets placed at the contact points have worked well for me this summer. Still a little transfer but not much, maybe 10% transfer of the color now. And we all know it's gone in no time once in the sun.

I might give that a try also.

On a side note Skiya, do you have any similar issues with your Sea Deck pad regarding the heat during storage? My storage cover includes the swim platform and I am in full sun. Since you are in a similar climate I thought I would get your input, so perfect timing with your post.

Mike

Is your cover black? Just wondering. Our previous boat (different mfr.) had a navy blue cover that was almost black and that was not an issue. So we can't figure out if it is damage that was already there or something in the vinyl itself.

No, it's a grey color top.

Saul ;)

I might give that a try also.

On a side note Skiya, do you have any similar issues with your Sea Deck pad regarding the heat during storage? My storage cover includes the swim platform and I am in full sun. Since you are in a similar climate I thought I would get your input, so perfect timing with your post.

Mike

Mike, I have a blue sunbrella cover that includes my swim platform and I haven't had any problems w/ the Sea Dek product but then again the covers not touching it. I don't think I would have a problem even if they did touch. The vinyl and Sea Dek are two different materials. The vinyl can get too hot to touch on a hot day in the sun, w/ Sea Dek it don't even get warm in the sun. I love that product

Skiya,

Maybe we could get some seat covers made of the same material. :scratchchin:

The Sea Dek is on my to do list for next year. Thanks for the feedback.

The vinyl seats turning pink is cause of bacteria growing under vinyl seats. Mainly it causes when your boat seats are wet for a long time in warm area. This microorganism starts to grow and it causes pinking in vinyl boat seats. Mainly it occurs on white vinyl seats. When you are seated, stay dry this will not cause. When it comes in touch with water, it started to grow.  There is not any permanent solution to remove the pink stain from boat seats. The cleaner available in market only fades the color.