Toddler

New WD Hitch

Well after a long wait and talking to a few experts, the long road trip coming up. Decided to get one.

“Equalizer Hitch” Made for surge brakes By Progress Manufacturing took it for a text drive works great. The weight distribution bars slide in the brackets on the trailer, puts more weight on the front with out hindering the trailer brakes. With my single tongue trailer I had to add the adapter piece, on some trailers it’s not necessary.

100_4777.jpg

100_4776.jpg

100_4773.jpg

Still have to add the “Towtecter’ to it.

matt

Looks good.

Ordered my TowTector about two hours ago. Planning another big trip starting soon.

Is your truck a 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton? I'm interested in hearing how it works. I'm leaving today for a long trip from PA to NC. My truck is a 3/4 ton but technically the weight of my rig is over the 7500lb weight carrying limit of the hitch.

I have the same setup on a sig 276 on a tamdem axel trailer difference of night and day no bounce sway not sure the boat is back there at times Im also pulling witha f250 powerstroke

I have a 1/2 ton 3.73 rear-end. I've added airbags to level it out and a Class V hitch. Rigs scales out at 13500-14000# depending on stuff, so its right at the load limit.

It pulls the hills in MO with no problems. Not really worried about the trip coming up, with this set-up.

Remember its not about getting it going; its about being able to stop it! :thththsoapbox2-1:

matt

I have no problem pulling or stopping mine. I have a Duramax Diesel and a HD Prestige trailer w/ disc brakes on both axles. I actually don't get much squat in the rear of the truck either as I set up my tongue wt. just right. I really don't have any sway or bounce issues either. The only reason I'm consider the WD hitch is because the owners manual says you need it over 7500lbs.

Nice, looks similar to my Equalizer setup.

I had to make a modification to mine. The two bolts (circled in red) securing the pole tongue brackets weren't enough to secure the brackets and they would slide loose during each trip. I ended up drilling another hole in the trailer tongue and adding an additional Grade 8 bolt (in area circled in yellow). After adding the Grade 8 bolt to secure the brackets, I've never had any problem with the pole tonge adapter coming loose.

Equalizer.png

Nice, looks similar to my Equalizer setup.

I had to make a modification to mine. The two bolts (circled in red) securing the pole tongue brackets weren't enough to secure the brackets and they would slide loose during each trip. I ended up drilling another hole in the trailer tongue and adding an additional Grade 8 bolt (in area circled in yellow). After adding the Grade 8 bolt to secure the brackets, I've never had any problem with the pole tonge adapter coming loose.

Equalizer.png

Thanks Jerry I'll Keep an eye on it.

thanks

mat

My truck is a 3/4 ton but technically the weight of my rig is over the 7500lb weight carrying limit of the hitch.

I hope I am reading that wrong... Your tongue weight is more than 7500lbs? Or your hitch is not rated to tow more than 7500lbs?

neither of those scenarios sounds right .

Hey Mat, Can u send me a link to the company? I'm looking for a similar setup for my rig. Looks great. Was it easy to install?

Thanks, Saul ;)

Hey Mat, Can u send me a link to the company? I'm looking for a similar setup for my rig. Looks great. Was it easy to install?

Thanks, Saul ;)

Saul, Yes it was easy to install, took me about 2 hrs. I ordered it on line from http://www.hitchsource.com/ he wasn't the cheapest but he did match the another guys price. And shipped it that afternoon without adding extra fees. I talked to Dan Hicken at Progress (http://www.progressmfg.com/) helped a lot my biggest concern was the size of the tongue adapter I only had 4" of space to put in, He stated that the piece was 3" wide, and would fit in there just fine. He was right. He also stated that it can be mounted without the adapter but my chain mounts were in the way so I needed to get it.

I would strongly suggest getting the ball when you order it the 2 5/16 x 1 1/4 x 2 3/8 shaft length is hard to find ended up ordering it from the local RV store here. I also got these, helps the bars slide on the brakes, http://www.equalizerhitch.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=66&zenid=qrjf9grmas43q59od6jbffouv3.

matt

I hope I am reading that wrong... Your tongue weight is more than 7500lbs? Or your hitch is not rated to tow more than 7500lbs?

neither of those scenarios sounds right .

It's a 7500lb weight carrying hitch. That doesn't mean tongue weight. That means 7500lbs max without a weight distributing hitch set up like Matt just installed. With a WD hitch, the max is 13000lbs.