Sign in to follow this  
leons luck

470 mercruiser alternator

Ahoy all,

I am new to the big boat ownership and have some questions hoping someone can help answer the big ones first..lol

I have a 1981 chaparral and it has a 470 mercruiser stern drive. What i cant seem to locate is the alternator. Any ideas where it is considering the pictures and wiring diagrams sorta say its at the front of the engine with a v belt driving it.

Thank you for your time

Leon

The photos I've found show the alternator on the top right side of the engine (on the left if you're facing it). It looks exactly like any other marine alternator, silver in color. Can you post some photos of your engine? Hy

hmmm ok professor48.. tyvm for your time.. will see about posting some pics.. but as for the location.. its no where on the front of the engine..as i face it. I bought this as a project boat.. something to piddle with in spare time.

The person i bought it from rebuilt some of the interior. i was just removing some of his work and tracing some wires.. that happen to either be cut or going to nowhere..lol then i noticed no alternator and twin batteries.. just confused me worse...lol

It just about has to be on the front of the engine with a v-belt driving it. Merc generators are usually painted black. In the text below is a link that will help with posting pictures.

Welcome to the forum leons luck . We are glad you are here and believe that you will find answers to a lot of your questions. We also provide some humor, of course at no charge to you other than the initiation fee you paid to join this forum ;)

A few pointers for you to do (if you have not already done so) to help us help you:

1. By clicking on your name in the upper right corner to bring up your options select my profile to add into your signature your location (geographic area).

2. Also under your signature add the type of boat you have and its mechanical systems, such as boat type, engine, drives, etc. This way you don't have to type it into to every post you put up. This will help us help you a lot! Without it, you may not get any answers.

3. Use the Search feature in the top right corner of the forum. There is a lot of good information on this forum that will answer many of your questions. We have a lot of experts here with a large amount of life experience.

4. Take a minute to review our Terms of Service, again right corner. There is good information in there that you will want to know including that we cannot discuss pricing. But read some of our other posts on here to learn the work around for that. ;)

5. We like pictures a lot! So when you get a chance, post some pics of your ride. Read through this thread to learn more about how to do so.

6. Take some time to look through the Help (upper right corner) and > Info Center) located under Chaparral Boats Forum on the main page. From there you will find parts guides, brochures, manuals, specifications, canvas installation manuals, vinyl care information, square gauge setup, weather links, computer desktop backgrounds, etc. Lots of good stuff there for you and your Chaparral!

7. Come back early and often to post. We are a community of friendly and some of us are border-line psychotic. But we admit to it and that's the first step to recovery ;)

Again, welcome to the asylum/forum and we look forward to more from you. Don't be a stranger.

:thl_speedboat:

well folks.. i guess mine has been removed for some reason or the other..lol what i get for paying $500 for a project boat huh...its baffling to me for sure... know enough about mechanics to figure i could spot an alternator...lol its for sure a long way from auto mechanics.. the hundreds of unattached loose wires and such.. but was told they had it on the water.. from my experience.. HARD TO BELIEVE...lolwill keep looking and will post some pics soon

Leon: You're not alone. There are quite a few men and women here cheering you on and giving help whenever asked. Refurbishing a boat can be fun, but it can also be very nerve-wracking, as you've learned. I suggest you downloas manuals for your engine and your outdrive. Leonid, one of the members of the forum, has a link to all the manulas. Just do a search for his name and you'll find it. In the Info section, you'll find owners manuals for Chaparral boats. Even though there's probably none for your exact model, check out some of the ones which are similar. Most of the controls and descriptions cover more than one model. You can download manuls for most of the main units or parts on the boat from the manufacturers' web sites. In addition, if you have any questions, ask. There are plenty of us here who have worked on our boats and other boats who can help. I've rebuilt two cabin cruisers in the last ten years, so I've been there and done that. Just make sure you use only marine rated electrical and fuel components, especially the alternator, starter, distributor, water pump, fuel pump, and carb. Other parts, such as plugs, coil, points, ignition wires, and hoses could be automotive. If in doubt, ask. Best of luck. Hy

Ahh, the MerCruiser 3.7L inline four cylinder. Mate a Ford 460 big block V8 head to a custom aluminum block, and equip with standard closed cooling, a stator instead of an alternator, and a water cooled voltage regulator.

Great concept on paper. Net result? Rather inexpensive, with really good power and weight for a 4 cylinder, albeit with poor real world reliabiity. Our marina had brought in a total of 3 such engines, but suffered nothing but trouble. This was back in the early '80's. The decision was then made to either bring in the 2.5L/3.0L 4 cylinder, or V6 engines for their smaller boats.

The engine (in all their various guises) in general ran on the warm side, and if the impeller wore out or failed, the water cooled voltage regulator would be cooked. MR Alpha 1 drives should have their impeller changed out every 3 years at least, so lots of those regulators got burnt up. (sickening smell, and hard on the wallet)

NOTE: there is a kit out there to convert the stator and water cooled voltage regulator over to a proper alternator, but it's not cheap or easy.

NOTE 2: we don't work on them....I have seen a couple that worked quite well over the years, but find that's an exception, and not generally the rule.

Stator assy mounted to the crank.

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/470_2_BBL._MERCURY_224_I-L4_1980-1982/+91557/1062-11'>http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/470_2_BBL._MERCURY_224_I-L4_1980-1982/+91557/1062-11

Item # 33 should be low down on the rear portion of the engine. (water cooled voltage regulator)

http://www.marinepartsplus.com/catalog/mercruiser/serial/470_2_BBL._MERCURY_224_I-L4_1980-1982/+91557/1062-1

I forgot all about those water-cooled setups. Our son-in-law had one on his 1986 Sunrunner. It was a real PITA and never worked right. That explains the two batteries and cut wires you found. The previous owner gave up on the alternator and just kept charging batteries each time he returned from a day on the water. I'm not familiar with that particular engine and Shepherd is definitely the expert, so I would suggest you take his advice. A total engine swap might be easier and more beneficial than trying to get yours working correctly. Hy

well folks.. i guess mine has been removed for some reason or the other..lol what i get for paying $500 for a project boat huh...its baffling to me for sure... know enough about mechanics to figure i could spot an alternator...lol its for sure a long way from auto mechanics.. the hundreds of unattached loose wires and such.. but was told they had it on the water.. from my experience.. HARD TO BELIEVE...lolwill keep looking and will post some pics soon

ty sheppard and professor for the inputs.. i was lost.. ordered and alternator and a book on mercruisers got the alternator before the book... as it goes.. found out about the stator..lol I have been doing some work on it.. bought two new batteries... a new coil and still cant get it to start..not easy working two jobs and work on boat...lol took some pics will post them soon...i hope..lol Again ty both for the info..will keep gettin back when i can

Leon

ok folks i posted my pics here because i cant get a gallery to work.. this is what we got ourselves into..lol

sorry for the overload...lol if anyone knows how to get the alnums to work let me know..