Phil @ LKN

LKN No Wake Rules - Question????

9 posts in this topic

The no wake rules for LKN are as follows......."No wake zones on Lake Norman include any body of water within 50 yards of a boat service area, launching area, bridge, dock, marina or boat storage structure. When in a no wake zone, boaters must operate at idle speed and may not create a wake."

This does not say what the rules are as far as wakes effecting boats at anchor. I emailed this question to the Marine Squadron and did not get a response. Any of you Lake Norman boaters aware of what the law is about wakes effecting boats at anchor and where I can find this rule published??

Thanks

There should be none ... an arbitrarily anchored vessel could be anywhere, even in the shipping channel if no restrictions exist, and does not have any special rights. Protection of mooring area is another matter. So, anchor in designated mooring area or within some otherwise protected area ... anywhere else is everybody's playground or work zone if you are a working vessel.

Might not be in writing anywhere, but it is common boater courtesy to keep a safe distance from stationary boats, whether they are at anchor, adrift, fishing, etc.

Might not be in writing anywhere, but it is common boater courtesy to keep a safe distance from stationary boats, whether they are at anchor, adrift, fishing, etc.

Absolutely. it's a matter of courtesy and common sense ... :)

Absolutely. it's a matter of courtesy and common sense ... :)

Not many jet skiers exhibit courtesy and common sense and they generate a significant wake.

It's my understanding, perhaps incorrect, that regardless of wake zone / no wake zone - if your wake causes damage wherever you are you are responsible.

You certainly want everyone to follow the rules, but there are examples of courtesy which are noteworthy and the lack of courtesy is equally worth noting. It is good to see folks modify their speed and wake influence when passing vessels at rest whether they are recreational or fishermen and especially in restricted spaces. In open waters it isn't always feasible, but varying your heading to minimize wake is a courteous act. Around my waters it seems to be no better than a 50/50 proposition. I just like those on the positive side of the equation more than I like the others.

It's my understanding, perhaps incorrect, that regardless of wake zone / no wake zone - if your wake causes damage wherever you are you are responsible.

The most damage they might do to me is spilling my beverage. :beer-7687-1: But they are a real PITA!!

The most damage they might do to me is spilling my beverage. :beer-7687-1: But they are a real PITA!!

That's exactly what I thought is the case ... :haha-7383: