Neal C.

Single vs. Dual Prop (Alpha vs B3)

All I can tell is the "power steering" like handling from whom I talked to. What are the benefits of the B3 (dual prop) over a single prop? Faster? Better? Worth it?

Generally, the B3 drive is considered the upgrade. The twin props have better grip, so the hole-shot tends to be a little quicker. Eliminates any "torque steer" going straight ahead and boat backs up straight. Excellent grip in corners. Boat will stay on plane at a lower speed. (My 220SSi holds plane at 14 MPH)

The B3 drive is heavy duty, so it should last longer, but it is also larger, so the boat will be slower, due to the extra drag. Raw water impeller is below the front starboard corner of the motor, hard to get to. Alpha impeller is in the drive.

Alpha's are good drives. Cost less, cheaper propellers (and only one) and give good performance. Boat will be faster due to less drag.

B3's have become very popular in the 20 foot plus bowrider segment. Good for resale. They do perform better, but at a high cost.

I have had both, and the B3 is the "better" drive. But the Alpha's were good, too!

brick

I know the article says that BIII's are slower,but don't let that be the deciding factor. It all depends on the engine that you have as well. I've seen 52mph (gps) in my 6000 lb Sig260

Mercruiser 496 mag/ B3 outdrive

Like Brick said. If you are a DIY guy, the Alpha requires you pull the boat, split the lower unit and install new impeller. Can be a bit of a bear to get the rod and shaft lined up when reassembling. IMO it's not really any less of a hassle then having to get into the engine compartment to do the bravo impeller. With the B3 setup you can swap out the impeller with the boat in the water as long as you plug the intake hose. B3 gives better steering control. I prefer my B3 over the Alpha, but it certainly costs you.

The dual props are supposed to give you about 15% better fuel economy.