Neal C.

Covers: cockpit and bow OR mooring?

31 posts in this topic

When ordering a boat you have all these cover options. Which is the preferred cover (or both)? When would you use a cockpit/bow vs. a mooring cover?

Thx

I have had a cockpit cover for my Sig. for 5 years. It has been a great choice for me, protecting the deck and helm area very well and always keeping it dry. The cockpit cover was custom fit for me by a local shop to the existing snaps from the windshield to the top of the transom. You can see where it attaches below on my signature photo.

The cockpit/bow covers are easy to install when the boat is in the water, and you are in the boat. Fastens with snap clips around perimeter of cockpit. Keeps most of the water out of the boat, but some always sneaks in around the cutouts. Not good for trailering. Made from Sunbrella material, looks great installed on boat. Top side gelcoat is not weather protected. Great for a weekend, but not my first choice for permanent cover.

Mooring Cover provides weather protection for complete top of boat. Good all weather protection, if starps and center pole are used . Hard to put on/secure if boat is in the water. Has straps that you tie/bungee under the boat/trailer to snug up fit. Factory cover will last about 5 years with year-round use.

I have both, but my garage works best!

brick

Brick is correct about two things (and everything else he said :) )----don't trailer the boat with a cockpit cover because the wind will tear it off and secondly the gelcoat around the periphery of the cover gets stained and dirty and is definitely not protected.

So you would typically only use the cockpit/bow when ON the boat? I guess this would be something you'd want in the event or rain and keeping water out? Otherwise I'd just need a mooring cover? Just trying to justify the cost of all those items. I'm also looking at the wrap around vinyl/cover item too, I can see this may be useful to escape from the baking sun OR cooler weather which does interest me here in VA.

Cockpit cover is my entire season (May to October) covering. You could anchor somewhere and put the cover over the boat to protect against weather while at the helm (waiting out a storm) if you don't have an enclosure of any kind. My boat is wrapped for the winter months. BTW, the cover cost around 10 Franklins (they are distant relatives to deer!)

Post-Irene.jpg

The cocpit cover is good for the quick on/off situations. Whether that is moored at a slip or you just want it covered for the day/night. Full mooring cover is for longer and better storage protection from the elements.

I have a custom mooring cover with extended sides because I keep my boat on the trailer in full sun. It is also trailerable, very important IMO. I also had a cocpit cover made for the times I don't want to bother with the mooring cover but still want protection for the cocpit.

To me they are both necessities, but that is just me.

The snap on cockpit covers are good short-term solutions. In my experience they let in too much blowing junk and rain water. If you're storing outside, spend the benjamins on a custom mooring cover like Desert Dog recommended. I got mine this spring and it's saved me hours of cleaning time over my short Wisconsin boating season.

Well Mine came with (I'm bought it used) Cockpit and bow covers. Also the factury shipping cover which I use for winter storage. I had a custom cover made for towing.

The only time I use the cockpit covers is when the boat sits in the water on vacation.

matt

I chose to get a "full" cover since my boat sits on the trailer outside. As part of the negotiations, I got the dealer to throw in a custom made cover as part of the deal. They used a local canvas shop and it took about a week for the cover to arrive. They also gave me the shipping cover to use while the custom one was being made. I am very pleased with the fit, quality and material (Sunbrella). Here is a photo:

post-12765-1315420000_thumb.jpg

We have the snap on cockpit and bow covers and use them "almost" all the time. I'm fortunate that my boat is stored in a marina in a covered slip on a lift. During the winter months when we don't frequent the lake as often then the full mooring cover is used. I'd say generally the snap covers are in place 9 months and the mooring cover gets the other 3.

I have both. I use the cockpit cover when the boat is sitting in the water and the full cover when she is out for the season and I am looking for the extra protection. I also recently began towing it with the full cover on, something I had never done before but I like how it keeps all the road junk out. I have no issues with gelcoat fade when using the cockpit cover as I wax two to three times a year. I do however get light black streaks on the gelcoat from where the rainwater drains off the cockpit cover. These wash off with a little soap and water, so no big deal.

Get both if you can. But if the budget can only afford one at first, get the mooring cover. Ultimately more protective and more water resistant.

So you would typically only use the cockpit/bow when ON the boat? I guess this would be something you'd want in the event or rain and keeping water out? Otherwise I'd just need a mooring cover? Just trying to justify the cost of all those items. I'm also looking at the wrap around vinyl/cover item too, I can see this may be useful to escape from the baking sun OR cooler weather which does interest me here in VA.

Not sure if I'm reading your post right, but if I am (on the bold), then NO. The cockpit/bow cover would be used when the boat was at the dock (for example) ... not when you were out on the water actually using the boat. Would be used to secure the interior from sun, rain, etc when using a mooring cover wasn't an option. I guess you could leave the bow cover on and only remove the cockpit cover and use the boat. We have a full cover instead of the 2 piece cockpit/bow cover. Snaps from bow to stern, over the windshield and all.

Bimini with the camper enclosure ("wrap around vinyl" as you call it) is a nice option for sure............

Question about this. We are in the slip all season, double slip so it makes putting the cover on a bit more challenging since we only have a full mooring cover. Has worked well on our 24 year old boat though. We do have snaps for the bow cover that came with the boat but it's never been used.

If you have a bow/cockpit cover AND a mooring cover, do you have to have two sets of snaps? Our mooring cover snaps down all around. In our next boat (at some undetermined point in the future) I'd probably like to have both but don't want all those snaps.

Indy - how is your cover attached there? It doesn't look like it snaps down but rather has bungee around the apron with polls? Just not sure how with it in a slip we'd be able to get a good snug fit without snaps.

I have and use both. I am in a covered slip and on a lift. For daily protection during the season, I use the snap on covers. For inclement weather or during the winter, I use the mooring cover. Since traveling with the snap on covers is ill-advised, I use the custom travel cover (mooring cover) when on the road.

I learned a lesson when I purchased a lessor and cheaper mooring cover. Custom is the only way to go. .

The other question is are there full mooring covers that leave access to the cleats? Not sure if those cut outs are what I'm seeing in Indy's picture. Our cover doesn't allow access to those and even though I only have 4, it would be nice.

The other question is are there full mooring covers that leave access to the cleats? Not sure if those cut outs are what I'm seeing in Indy's picture. Our cover doesn't allow access to those and even though I only have 4, it would be nice.

I weigh approximately 190, but my custom cover lady outweighed me by 50 large ones. When I backed my Chap into her shop, all she asked was -- what do you want? Point is, the talented craftsman(women), can create whatever you desire. And, it is worth it when you get what you want IMO.

guess i better start making a sub list under my "new boat needs to have..." list and call that new list "things i want in a cover". the good news is that on our lake there are 3 well known, good canvas folks.

Question for all of you cover experts...I just picked up my new (to me) 2001 186 SSi. It came with bow and cockpit covers as well as the factory shipping cover. Unfortunately right now I've got it stored outside. I trailered it to the outdoor storage location I'm renting with the shipping cover only where it's currently sitting. Of course it rained like #$^% the first night. I went to look at it next day and was not surprised to see water pooled in the bow and cockpit areas - cover still holding though. I’m thinking I should put the snap on covers over the bow and cockpit and THEN put the shipping cover on. Anything wrong with that? Also, should I get a mooring cover in addition to the shipping and snap on ones I currently have?

Thanks!

@ notos, if you are not using prop rods in the bow and cockpit areas you will get water pooling. My custom mooring cover came with the rods but they are nothing special. The cover prop rods keep the water draining over the side so it doesnt pool.

2011-04-01_14-52-21_594.jpg

I even use the prop rods with the boat under cover. Helps keep water from pooling on the cover when we get serious rain storms.... like tonight... gulp.

IMG_0215.jpg

You could use the cockpit covers with the rods then put the other cover on over it. I see no problem with that.

As for towing I don't keep the front pole in as it causes a lot of stress in the front of the cover from the wind.

Thanks guys! I put the covers on and then the shiupping cover. I saw spots for the rods in my bow and cockpit covers, I'll just have to make some as nothing came with my boat. I used a tube to help hold up the cockpit cover last night so hopefully my "on-site" engineering helped a little. Appreciate the feedback.