hayward6

Introduction

83 posts in this topic

Hi,

I bought my first boat last week and was happy to find this forum where I hope to borrow from the advice and experience of others :) I'm very mechanical, but never owned a boat before... Here's what I've done so far.

I bought the boat with trailer for ***** (I just read somewhere that talking about money is frowned upon here, sorry)

It came pretty much good to go except that he kept the anchor and ropes. I went out and bought life jackets, anchor, leader chain, anchor line and a bunch of rope for tying up.

When I got the boat a lot of the electrical was not working, and I was happy to discover the fuseable link was corroded! all the dash switches and lights work, the fish finder, blower and bilge work and the little auto bilge switch even works. I was going through the engine and hull last weekend and decided to get a new alternator... the old one was in tough shape. I've also picked up a new radio and antennae, and I'm installing a solar battery maintainer this weekend. I was happy to see the oil was clean and after running it for about 20 minutes this weekend it looks like everything is tight. I'll be putting bottom paint on it and understand what that will take... It never had bottom paint and has been a primarily fresh water boat and trailered. I'll be putting it on a slip next year. I bought it really because the price was right and I knew to jump on a good fall sale. I really do like the layout and I hope to enjoy the boat allot next year. I'm putting it in the lake this weekend to test everything out properly.

Is there anything else I forgot to mention and should look for? The thing looks quite solid, there's a little give in the floor near the gas tank but I'm planning on ripping all that up this winter.

Anyways... thanks for having an open door for us new captains!

post-13034-1317320000_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Chaparral family. When you replaced the alternator, did you use a "marine" rated unit? Don't use regular car stuff on you engine, unless you want to go "Ka-Boom".

brick

Welcome to the Chaparral family. When you replaced the alternator, did you use a "marine" rated unit? Don't use regular car stuff on you engine, unless you want to bo "Ka-Boom".

brick

Yes I did use a Marine alternator. Thank you, that's great advice. I actually have an "alternator guy" I use all the time for my farm equipment, and he had them right on the shelf brand new. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Prior to bottom coating you should consider several layers of epoxy barrier coat. Newer boats use gelcoat that resist blistering, but I don't know about an 87'. Also check that your nav lights and horn works in case you get stopped. What about a fire extinguisher? Welcome to the forum Hayward6, sounds like you got a deal on the boat.

Prior to bottom coating you should consider several layers of epoxy barrier coat. Newer boats use gelcoat that resist blistering, but I don't know about an 87'. Also check that your nav lights and horn works in case you get stopped. What about a fire extinguisher? Welcome to the forum Hayward6, sounds like you got a deal on the boat.

It has 2 fire extinguishers, but they may be old, haven't really looked at them yet. The lights all work boat and trailer, and I ordered a new stern light since it wasn't in the deal. The only outstanding issue right now is that the horn doesn't work. I didn't bother look into it yet, but figure it will be a simple fix or replace. Thanks for the welcome and advice. I like that there's some activity here!

Welcome to the unofficial Vintage Chap Club! We have the same year/model boat with the same powerhouse and outdrive. Rich from Ohio also has our boat but different engine/outdrive. Enjoy!

Welcome to the unofficial Vintage Chap Club! We have the same year/model boat with the same powerhouse and outdrive. Rich from Ohio also has our boat but different engine/outdrive. Enjoy!

Thank you! This is great, someone who knows exactly what I have in and out :)

Anything I should look for? The engine is whisper quiet at the block, really like that. I was expecting at least a slight tick, but nope. The hydraulics all seem good. There does seem to be a slight rattle from the outdrive if I run the engine while it's all the way up, but I'm hoping that's normal...

I'm also looking to possibly get some snap covers made for it. All the hull snaps are in place, but I have nothing to cover the boat with.

Hi Doug,

Knock on wood, we've not had any issues with our boat. We (my parents) are the original owners and we just crossed 200 hours this season (it's been in a slip in fresh water every season but generally we go out, then float around and eat/relax and head back). We did have to do the plugs, coil, wires and points and rotor 2 seasons ago. Last fall we had the pump, impeller and bellows (and lower shift cable) done (first time ever! It's getting a bunch more TLC since my husband and I took over maintenance). Spring of 2010 I wet sanded it to bring back the shine and this year I think I'm getting the vinyl stripes redone. As for the rattle with the outdrive up (I assume you mean the outdrive and not with the "engine while it's all the way up" as in RPMs), we never run with the outdrive all the way up so I can't comment but from what I've read on forums, all the way up is only for trailering and you shouldn't run like that.

A canvas shop should be able to make you something like the original bimini and bow cover that came with it. The front bow cover is vinyl (we still have the original one though I think have used it only twice) and the bimini was vinyl too and had some side windows that attached on the two snaps around the rear facing seats on the gunwales.

How are your cup holders in the engine cover? The black plastic started cracking on ours so I ordered up some new ones so when I pull the boat in a few weeks, I'm going to unscrew that piece of teak and put in 4 new holders. I ask because I had to order 10 but don't need them all so if yours did need work, I'm happy to share the extras.

On your bottom striping where the hull goes from gray to white, can you tell me if you have 3 stripes or 2? On mine, it's 3 stripes, one navy, one light blue and one gray. On Rich's, he has 2 stripes. The "gray" is the gray of the hull, not a vinyl stripe.

One thing I do know about our drives is that they do not like to be shifted while not running.

A sincere and hearty welcome aboard!

You are obviously a determined man with skills. So my only advice is about $. As a boat owner you will find that there is a never ending love affair between your bat and your wallet. While most everyone on the forum finds it worth it, each of us still grumble when we BOAT -- Break Out Another Thousand.

Happy boating and just enjoy every moment. :beer-7687-1:

Ok, took it out today for the first time just to make sure everything is running right. Ran great! Tomorrow I'll start tearing out the seats, floor, and all the wood work. 7 months till Spring :)

IMG_3532.jpg

I can't wait to get the woodwork finished!

IMG_3536.jpg

IMG_3544.jpg

I really liked how it sat in the water.

IMG_3537.jpg

As you can see, the motor cover I have is homemade :)

100_7565.jpg

100_7566.jpg

One thing I do know about our drives is that they do not like to be shifted while not running.

My boat also has some kind of weird one lever throttle/shifter that I don't care for. To use just the throttle you pull the lever toward the center of the boat and that disengages the shifter... I had a little trouble at first getting it into forward and found it very easy to push forward to hard. I ended up taking off to fast and it just felt sloppy. I will probably switch that out.

I added some pictures above and you can see it has two blue lines. I'll be covering them almost completely with bottom paint :(

Yep we have the stock shifter like that too and when I started driving the boat it took some getting used to. You want to make sure you're pulling up on the release button ALL the way (a bit hard given how close to the side window it is and I've found that gripping the upright part of the shifter like I'm shaking hands and using the thumb side of my index finger to push up helps a lot - so my knuckles are facing the glass vs facing up and then the glass doesn't interfere with anything). Once you push forward to engage you can bring it back to almost center to slow it down but keep it in gear. Once I learned that trick all was well.

This amazes me that you have 2 blue stripes and your gray "stripe" is just the gelcoat. We've owned our boat since it rolled out of the showroom so I know it's stock but yet you and Rich have 2 blue stripes and gelcoat for the gray whereas I have 3 stripes, even though my gray could just as easily be the gelcoat. I have no idea why things would be like that and now have to wonder if I want to go with the gray as a stripe or just leave it as the gelcoat but I think from a buffing/polishing perspective, NOT having the gray as gelcoat but rather letting it be a solid panel of stripes will work out better. Weird.

Hi Hayward6!

Sorry, I had missed your initial posting. Let me add my greetings and welcome to our growing Vintage Chappie Club. There are at least 3 of us now with the 1987 198XL's and it's interesting to see the differences in our boats. I suspicion that yours has been through a partial restoration given that several of the cushions abd seats are missing. If your plan is to restore her to original condition, I'm sure that between Michelle (Watson524) and myself, we can provide photos and other documentation about what our boats looked like when new. Also, it's interesting that you and Michelle both have a different remote control (throttle/shifter) than I do. Perhaps due to having an OMC Cobra outdrive as opposed to my Mercruiser? Mine has a Mercruiser QuickSilver Commander control which has a pushbutton for the throttle-only function as shown in this photo...

100_1596-1-1.jpg

Again, welcome to the forum! There's a wealth of information available here and it's all free for the asking... well, we do ask for pictures.... LOTS of pictures!!

Glad to have ya aboard!

I just went through your restoration thread and I really liked what you did. I'm definitely putting down a new floor, but I was going to avoid carpet and go with some kind of non-stick rubber surface due to all the fishing I will be doing... Now I'm not sure... yours came out great! I'm also going to rip out and replace the drivers and passengers consoles. They are de-laminating pretty bad, so I was hoping to go with a nice solid oak setup. I can then go in and setup the gauges and switches the way I like them and even add some more for things like my solar charger. While I'm in the floor ill be going over the fuel cell since the gauge doesn't work. There are subtle differences between our boats, and I can only guess that you're right, mine was refurbished before, but not done well. I want to close in the back much better than it is because it is a bit noisy.

I'm going to take some detailed pictures tonight to catalog everything before I start ripping it apart. Maybe I'll make a thread like you did.

Thank you,

Now when can we get us all together?? I think NE PA is about centered between OH and MA :beer-7687-1:

Doug - I'm going to be taking our boat out probably Monday depending on what the weather looks like next week and while it'll be gone a few days for winterizing, I'll be able to take any kind of pictures you want. Ours is totally original sans a bilge auto switch we added and the radio and speakers we swapped out (into original locations) last year.

So I just went out and took a bunch of pictures. I figure it will help me remember where stuff went, and maybe forum members can point out anything they see before I get started? The water in the bilge is from rain last night... forgot to pull the plug out after the weekend outing :) It probably would have been higher if not for the auto pump switch. The radio and stern light arrived today, but those will remain in the box until the Spring.

Ok, here's a picture assault!

IMG_3546.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3548.jpg

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3551.jpg

IMG_3552.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

On the transom it looks like someone tried to add some kind of fancy pump out ports... they did a horrible job! and they are capped off inside. I have a lo of work to do, I know that, but I have a lot of time to do it in and I have quite a bit of patience.

I was going to ask about those since I don't have them and couldn't figure out that the heck was going on there. It amazes me how different our boats look. Looks like someone did a partial restore with the wood along the inside there (I don't have that) and the carpeting in other places that is vinyl. Also looks like it was striped at some point since the colors are different and there's extra stripes.