hayward6

Introduction

83 posts in this topic

There's your problem! :)

Opened up the floor and found the entire port-side stringer is completely gone. The starboard side is surprisingly sturdy... I have questions though. Is all that foam supposed to be there? It looks as if someone did a real bad job rebuilding it. I'm going to clean it all up and finish cutting out the old stuff, really take my time and do it right! I already have a few sheets of marine grade plywood, so i'll be good there. Any other advice? I know how to remove the stringer and keep the existing fiber in place... what little is salvageable. I think the big question I have right now is how exactly should the drainage work on this boat? I have about 3 inches of water around the gas tank which I know shouldn't be there. Should that be able to drain off? Its completely enclosed below, so maybe someone did that wrong as well? Or is it just supposed to be dry and no water should ever enter? I know the bilge area pumps out water and I've seen that work, but it can't pump water that doesn't make it there!

Thank you!

038.jpg

036.jpg

034.jpg

Oh my........ Ok the ski locker area, there should be a hole in the aft center floor. That then drains into the bilge area just aft of the gas tank (at the bottom of the top "step" in the bilge). It is very likely plugged. You can use something like a piece of weedwhacker line to feed in there or even some compressed air (gently). I wouldn't use a coat hanger or anything that stiff. When you say "around the gas tank" are you talking about the water I can see in front of it there? That's exactly where the hole I was talking about should be.

As for the foam, yes, that should be there. Whether or not that's the original foam, I can't say but if I had to hazzard a guess, I'd say yes. As built, looking square at the transom to the bow, you have 4 stringers. The pockets between the two strings and the pockets between the outside strings and the hull were filled with foam. The center area obviously isn't because of the gas tank and ski locker.

Oh my........ Ok the ski locker area, there should be a hole in the aft center floor. That then drains into the bilge area just aft of the gas tank (at the bottom of the top "step" in the bilge). It is very likely plugged. You can use something like a piece of weedwhacker line to feed in there or even some compressed air (gently). I wouldn't use a coat hanger or anything that stiff. When you say "around the gas tank" are you talking about the water I can see in front of it there? That's exactly where the hole I was talking about should be.

As for the foam, yes, that should be there. Whether or not that's the original foam, I can't say but if I had to hazzard a guess, I'd say yes. As built, looking square at the transom to the bow, you have 4 stringers. The pockets between the two strings and the pockets between the outside strings and the hull were filled with foam. The center area obviously isn't because of the gas tank and ski locker.

Ok, no the water around the tank is actually in the section where the tank is. You cant see it in any of these pictures, and there isn't a lot of room for it, but there's a few gallons in there. The Ski locker? ok that's a name I didn't know before now... There is a whole on the bottom rear that does in fact go to the bilge and it works fine, that water is because the boat is sitting a little to one side. My concern is since there is water in around the gas tank do I just dry it up and seal it up good on reassembly, or do I need to make a way for that to drain?

Welcome! You definitely want a way to get all the water out. I'd make that a priority before putting any new wood in. Do you have a cover? Even a tarp would be good to keep things from getting any worse. You've got a great attitude and a good platform to get started with. One thing about these older boats, the hulls are thick and sound. Mine was in pretty rough shape when I got her, but after lots of help and great advice, we've enjoyed three great seasons and counting. Best of luck to you! I really like your idea of going with something other than carpeting. If and when I decide to replace the black carpeting in mine (BAD mistake), I'm considering going with a light gray colored bed-liner type stuff. Something I can roll on with some texture to it. The black carpeting gets really hot and shows every little speck of sand and dirt. Take your time, do it right and keep it fun!

Welcome! You definitely want a way to get all the water out. I'd make that a priority before putting any new wood in. Do you have a cover? Even a tarp would be good to keep things from getting any worse. You've got a great attitude and a good platform to get started with. One thing about these older boats, the hulls are thick and sound. Mine was in pretty rough shape when I got her, but after lots of help and great advice, we've enjoyed three great seasons and counting. Best of luck to you! I really like your idea of going with something other than carpeting. If and when I decide to replace the black carpeting in mine (BAD mistake), I'm considering going with a light gray colored bed-liner type stuff. Something I can roll on with some texture to it. The black carpeting gets really hot and shows every little speck of sand and dirt. Take your time, do it right and keep it fun!

Thanks for the advice! Yeah, I'm in no rush. Doing a bad job now only to do it again in 2 years doesn't sound like fun to me ;) When I'm done I want this floor to be rock solid!

I've personally never seen below the floor of mine since it's solid and all original but I can't imagine water should be in the tank compartment given the (factory) tank is aluminum and all. Can you tell where it's seeping in there? That definitely has to be corrected. As long as it's sealed and more water can't come in, I don't think I'd personally worry about an add'l drain system for the tank area.

I've personally never seen below the floor of mine since it's solid and all original but I can't imagine water should be in the tank compartment given the (factory) tank is aluminum and all. Can you tell where it's seeping in there? That definitely has to be corrected. As long as it's sealed and more water can't come in, I don't think I'd personally worry about an add'l drain system for the tank area.

That's great news! The tank is original, and the water definitely came in through the hole that was right over the tank. The floor had most of it's problems directly over the gas tank. I'll be pulling the tank and drying out the area before sealing it off again. I also have to run new gauge wires since they are all corroded and swollen.

Thanks for the info!

You know it's interesting, our gas gauge wasn't reading right a few years ago and our mechanic replaced the float and all is now fine. There was no floor cutting or anything involved and now that I think about it, how the heck did he replace the float? I mean he gave me the old one so I know he did something...... huh, I never thought about it until just this second.

Michelle, that solid piece of teak just aft of the slotted pieces on the ski locker covers the forward end of the tank and that's where the sender unit (tank float) can be accessed from.

I made myself one promise when I bought this boat, and it's becoming interesting. I was tracing the fuel gauge wires and the fill and vent tubes and found that all the foam under there is soaked like a sponge! I ripped up the drivers seat and i'm tearing out all the foam and hoses. They're nasty! all black with mildew and completely soaked. I still think I'll be able to avoid going north of the console, but we'll see. I can tell already that i'll be replacing both the vent and fill hoses as well as the wiring. I sucked up 10 gallons of water from the fuel tank area, but it looks like it all leaked in from the floor at this point. I'll trow some pictures up later... it's a disgusting mess :)

I still haven't gotten the fuel fill and vent tubes out yet. I had to remove the steering wheel and the entire dash board with the gauge panel... Feel like i'm in too deep now, so I'm taking a break. The wiring is going to be fun figuring out when I put it all back together. Someone has done some serious patching :) Hey at least I'll know it's good to go! Most of the gauges are getting ready to fail, all rusty and corroded, so I'll probably just make my own custom panel and buy the switches and gauges I like.

I'm hoping to have the tank and most of the rotten stringers out tonight. I have one question and I know I'm getting ahead of myself... The bilge and all of the stringers and flooring behind the fuel tank are in great shape. It looks to me like the prior users kept the plug out and covered, so that's good... no pooling back there. But, and lets hope I explain this right. If the boat is left in the rain right now the water leaks in around the bow seat cushions and runs directly back through the floor following the fuel hoses and getting trapped in the foam... that's how it is now anyways. The foam is literally full of water! There must be at least a couple hundred pounds of extra weight on this boat right now that I'll be removing. My question is, how do I make it so rain either can't reach under the floor, or is there a way to setup some kind of drain system so rain water easily travels back to the bilge and is pumped out? I have seen weep holes mentioned, but I just don't know... If I pop holes in there that also feels like a way for water to get in not just out. It seems to me like a design flaw of a bowrider that the seating areas would be open to the hull and water can just go right in.

Thank you! I'll see if I can get some pictures tonight once the tank and stringers are removed. I am fortunate that the stringers and floor are solid both behind the tank and ahead of the drivers seat.

Edit: Another way to make my point is that there was 10 gallon of water in the fuel tank area that had no way out. It got in there for several reasons and I may even find more. 1 the fuel hoses were soaked through and clearly water was following them from the bow all the way to the tank. 2 the access cover that goes over the fuel supply line at the rear of the tank was rotted off. I can make the tank air tight, but is that the best way to go, or is it better to plan for 10 or so years from now when it all starts failing again. Or do I just throw it all together and hope for a few great years and then junk it ? :)

The fuel tank is out and I was able to cut out most of the stringers and old foam. There's a lot of cleanup work still to do, and maybe even a little more cutting, but it's starting to feel like progress has been made. My only real concern now is putting the wiring all back when I'm done and I'm still not sure what I want to do about the under floor drainage. It seems like I could just leave a small channel on each side under the foam that would allow water that gets in to simply run back to the bilge to be pumped out...

Sorry I haven't been updating this... busy, busy, busy! I have completely gutted everything, cut and glassed in new stringers, and yesterday I actually put cleats on the stringers to accept the deck screws without messing up my nice stringers. I have also built a new drivers side console and stripped and oiled all the woordwork. It's really coming along! I'm just waiting for new fuel fill and vent lines to get here and i'll go ahead and lay the deck down. Then all I have to do is pour flotation foam, glass and clear-cote the deck, build a new engine cover, and install the new seats. The dirty rough jobs are all done! Now it's assembly time and I couldn't be happier.

I'll get some pictures up this weekend.

You are a brave and determined man!!! I am impressed with your can-do attitude. I suspect that your boat will be very nice when you are done. Rich and ChefP have inspired me through this forum to take on and repair some of my minor issues, but you Hayward6 are very impressive with this project. WAY TO GO!! Keep the pictures coming, please...

It's been rainy for a couple days so I went ahead and built the new control panel. The old one was pretty busted up, warped, and a lot of the wires were in poor shape. I replaced some connectors, and cleaned up some extra wires that were probably added over the years for other accessories. I also removed the 12volt power plug that was there... I can always add one later if I want. I used a chunk of clear lexan that a friend gave me, and I sanded and painted it flat black. I cut the holes in with a dremel to save money... you see how much a set of hole saw bits are?!?!

Oh yeah! to save time and aggravation I cut around the old switch panel and glued it in place on the new panel. All of the switches fuses and lights worked... so why not. If it ever fails in any way I'll just replace them all with a single panel that I can attach the same way.

IMG_3957.jpg

As a comparison, here's the old panel...

IMG_3629.jpg

Here's a shot of the floor from about two weeks back. I've since glassed in the stringers, and even added a small barrier at the front on each side to channel any water from the bow through the ski locker and out to the bilge. What I did was realize that water can get in around the front cushions and be trapped under the floor up there. Adding these walls and drilling a hole in each leading to the ski locker will add a lot of years to the repair job. That and the fact that every piece of wood has been coated in resin and wrapped in glass, this will be far better than what came from the factory. Right now I have cleats in to take the deck, and I'm real close to getting the deck down. Just waiting for the fuel fill and vent, and the pink primary wire for the sending unit. I have some detailed plans on how ill be mounting the battery boxes and new seats so that I never have to put a screw through the new deck :) Again, it feels so good to be assembling!

Oh and if you noticed some of the wood looks darker that it was previously... I removed almost all of the wood, sanded, and oiled it. It looks real nice. That left console will of course be removed, so no need to clean it up :)

Stringersin2.jpg

Stringers are all glassed in. I have some sanding to do before I can lay the deck down though. The fuel hoses and wire are due in tomorrow, so it looks like I should have it all back together next weekend.

IMG_3965.jpg

IMG_3963.jpg

Fuel hoses and fuel gauge wires showed up last night. I now have everything I need to put the new deck down and get it back in running condition. I'm going to hold off on adding the flotation foam until the spring when the weather is warmer. I'm actually looking forward to shopping for new seats :) That brings up a question actually... how do you mount those back to back seats? I am planning on gluing and glassing down a piece of 3/4" plywood to the deck so the battery box can be mounted to it without harming the actual deck, is there a similar process for those seats? I really don't want to put screws through this new deck at all after its glassed.

I'm no help on your seat mounting question, but wanted to post quickly to say that I actually look forward to your posts. I get excited when I see that you've updated this thread; it's a fun process to watch (virtually :D ).

--Ben

The back to back seats are lounge seats that will fold down flat. They are hinged at the top and bottoms so that you can lay them out and sleep on them. My seats are mounted on adjustable slide rails that are on top of plywood boxes. the boxes are carpeted and vinyl covered for a nice finish. The plywood boxes have 1x2s for the bottom and are screwed thru the deck in 6 locations. These are the original seats. I have them all out because I am doing some vinyl repair over the winter and I stored my boat in a barn about 60 miles north of home. I can take a couple of pictures if you need them. Better yet Check out this site, should help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Seats-Sale-Lounge-Seats-Back-Back-Seats-Jump-Seats-/180753963107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a15c69863

You can find used ones in good shape on EBAY: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Seats-Sale-Lounge-Seats-Back-Back-Seats-Jump-Seats-/180753963107?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a15c69863

Also check out this link for Overton's after-market boat seats.

http://search.overtons.com/?Ns=p_image_sort|1||p_purchased|1&Ne=1000&N=2076&cname=Boat-Seats

I was considering replacing mine with these from Overton's, but I have a friend at work that does upholstry work. He is repairing the torn panels for me and a lady I work with is embroidering CHAPARRAL into the headrests similar to the original. I have been restoring my engine cover and cleaning the upholstery up.

I really like watching your progress because I am repairing stuff on my 2100 to improve it a little at a time. You project is waaaayyyy more comprehensive than mine.

I am lucky because my boat is nearly 23 years old but has been well care for by previous owners. My Doctor sold it to us. He stored it covered maintained it meticulously.

I haven't been under the carpet yet, but mine seams very strong in the deck so far.

Good Luck\

Wade

Sorry about the long delay guys!

The winter drove me inside, and I just started working on her again this weekend. Before the winter I actually completely glassed the new deck, and then left it like that. The cold winter popped a freeze plug, so I'll be replacing that. Luckily the engine didn't take any damage, and started right up this weekend. I have a better sense of whats what now that I have removed and cleaned the fuel tank, and ran new hoses, and wires.

I still have to wire in the new 2-way radio and the running lights aren't working... When I redid the dashboard I removed a lot of scrap wire, and its going to be much safer. I also plan on painting the deck with truck bed liner once the seats are in. I'm planning on gluing and glassing down some 12" square plywood to the deck so I can screw the seats to that. NOTHING is going to be screwed directly to this deck!!! :) The seats are still a big concern as well as the flotation foam as far as expenses go, but I'll get it done before boating weather.

I'll try to get some pictures out in the next week. Oh yeah I also bought a new truck to tow it with! I picked up a 2011 F150 Supercab 4x4

Ok Here's a quick status update... No pictures yet, but I'll try and get some up before I lay down the new carpet, and then after.

I put all the wiring back together, and replaced a lot of wire, fuses, and a couple switches all with marine grade stuff. There was an amazing amount of cheap connectors used everywhere and they were all corroded through... I installed the new dash yesterday, hooked up water, put a couple gallons of gas in her and she started up and ran good. I was happy to see no water leaks, and the engine oil is still clean... the popped freeze plug over the winter had me nervous.

It runs good, but it takes forever to warm up and idle! I figure its do to the very cold water constantly being changed out. The automatic choke seems to be a little messed up, and the entire carb could probably benefit from a rebuild, and that's an area I'm strong!

The new seats, pedistals, carpet, and flotation foam is due in any day. The boat and trailer are registered. As soon as I have a warm enough day to pour the foam I'll be ready for the water!

Just a little more on the wiring. Do yourself a favor and buy the tinned marine grade wire and shrink connectors!!! The wire I pulled out of this boat was completely destroyed by weather. I rebuilt the entire dashboard properly and I can now be that much more confident on the water. I also separated a couple circuits that could have easily left me dead in the water if the radio were to short out. Do your research and do the job right once. I even soldered in a diode so that the lights would come on properly :)