hayward6

Introduction

83 posts in this topic

Oh man what a weekend...

As I've completed all the deck work I figured I better take her our for a nice warm-up at the lake. It started up great, and ran well enough at first, but things went down hill fast. I ran her for a few minutes at the dock to make sure all was well, then I put it in gear and started to pull out. I still don't like this single lever shift/throttle... Once I finally had it in gear it wouldn't go much above an idle. I could put it back in neutral and rev it all i wanted, but not in gear...

As I was going across the lake I was playing with the shifter and trying to work out if it was a linkage problem, then it stalled out. Well, here's where I learned of another new issue. It simply wont start after its warmed up. It turns over slower, the negative wire to the battery gets warm, and even when I did get it turning over fast enough, it just wasn't going to start. I ended up flagging down another boater and he towed me in.

When I got home I hooked the water up and it started right up! After all this I was feeling pretty depressed, and just parked the boat out back. I went ahead and checked the oil which I had just changed the other day, and it's about 3-4 inches up the stick and clearly has water in it...

I have mixed feelings about this... At this point I'm probably going to cut my losses and just sell it off if anyone will take it. I thought about pulling the motor and rebuilding it, but I think I'm just out of steam and money on this project :(

I know this is an old post but if you still have the boat. Don't give up now. The engine block is cracked but it started which means all the exterior systems are working. You can get a good 1987 4.3 Chevy block from the junk yard. Just transfer all your existing parts to the new block.

Doug,

I was very sorry to read about the new issue with the engine, and your discouragement at the project. Like Big Fun mentioned, I expect you can source a replacement engine very easily and I'm absolutely sure it would be worth it to you in the end. We've all followed this project from when you got the boat, and have been seeing this incredible amount of work bringing the hull back to life. You now have a great, solid runabout that happens to have a bad engine. You know the rest of the boat is built better and probably in better shape than most you'll find of that age, so why not keep it and find a motor, if it really needs a new block?

I was into a similar project about 20 years ago with a car. I had a car that I really liked, but the salt had killed it and the body shell was getting beyond repair. I came up with a donor car that had a good body (minus most of the rest of the car) and completely took both cars apart and built a new one from the ground up- it was a huge project. I had one engine, and it was a pretty good one (an unusual engine- odd-fire Buick V6). Literally within two weeks of finishing the car, the crankshaft broke. I was very discouraged, but I learned of someone at my company who happened to have an odd-fire Buick in a basket in his garage. Fifty deer later I had a new block, crank, pistons and rods. A couple hundred more worth of gaskets, bearings, etc. and I had a great replacement engine that lasted for years.

I bet you can find a Chevy V6 that would fit right in there very easily. They were common in half ton trucks in the late 80's and early 90's. Use the cam/lifters (or new lifters if you want) and all the external engine parts from your boat and you should be fine. I doubt it will even cost too much in the end, and you'll probably have a better engine than what was in the boat.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Joe

I'm with Joe here (tho I'm a bit biased since I'd love to see another one of our boats get back on the water), I'm hoping you might reconsider. Tho I do understand the financial burden this can entail. In our local papershop, I have recently seen a 4.3L engine that I think was complete (no outdrive) for a decent price. It caught my eye because I wanted to see what it would take if ours ever totally $hi# the bed. If you want, I can try to look it up again.

I really do appreciate the support on this! rebuilding this engine or at least replacing it with a solid junker is still an option for me. I have one interested party right now and if they want it for what im asking, I will sell it. If they dont buy it and nobody else comes to look i will likely hold onto it.

The funny thing is that skill wise im much stronger in the engine department, and have no fears rebuilding it... The problem is that with everything else with this boat the task was much larger than originally planned... I know that ill probably end up with some broken bolts, and I do foresee a problem with the shift cables, as its already hard going into forward. All of these things can easily be a lot of money and time. Since my goal was to have a boat ready for this year and I failed there... I surpose I can spend all summer and even into the winter rebuilding this motor. I don't have a lot of free time...

I'll keep you all informed.

Thank you,

Hello,

My wife Connie and I just bought a 2006 240 signature cruiser. We LOVE it!! We live in Southern Florida....and have pretty much had it out every weekend. Last week we took a couple friends from Massachusettes down to Marathon FL from Ft. Lauderdale via the ICW....what a ride!! We did catch some bad weather....but this boat handled the waves like butter. We have never owned a boat...so we are learning about the maintenance....luckily our marina has lots of service companies on property.

We had some blowback when putting gas in...and learned it was a crimped gas line...problem solved. Our second issue was water in the cabin well when we ran the A/C overnight....a service guy said to put chlorine tabs in the drip pan to solve an issue of muck/slime build up in the line that goes to the sump pump? We are planning on trying that out tonight.

Last night our engine overheated....we learned about flushing it by putting a hose to the flush line....problem solved...I hope.

Either way....we love our boat...and look forward to utilizing this forum!

Chris

Ok, here is where I am right now.

I tested the compression in all cylinders this morning.

They were...

1 = 110

3 = 90 (Like to see that one higher...)

5 = 120

2 = 120

4 = 120

6 = 130

Cylinders 1 & 5 were filled with clean water. This lead me to believe that the water was coming into the engine from the intake or exhaust. This morning I pulled the exhaust manifolds and they tested out fine. A little scale, but they actually look almost new inside and out. Next I pulled the intake manifold off, and found the gaskets on both sides but especially the port side (Cylinders 1,3,5) were completely ruined. There's no doubt water was getting in through the intake passages. Since I was this far I figured I better pull the heads and just get a complete top end gasket set, The heads and gaskets there looked real good.

So here I am, all sore and wore out after pulling the motor apart, but I'm feeling real good. I think I may have found the problem, and it's FAR better than a cracked block :)

Here's my plan. I'm going to clean these parts up and replace all the gaskets and hopefully put it all back next weekend. If that fixes it, I'm good to go, if water is still getting in it must be the block is cracked as well, and I may not tackle that :(

I'm feeling real good right now though. I figure since the water in the cylinders is clean fresh water it must be leaking in from up top!

Thanks for the update Doug. I've sort of been waiting to see what you would decide. Glad to hear it might not be as bad as initially thought. Will wait for future updates. May the boating gods be with you :)

Well I had some success this weekend! The weather was good, I had prepped all my surfaces, and the gaskets came in! I'm happy to say that the motor is more together than apart at this point :) Still got some work to do, but I expect to have it running by next weekend. If water is still entering the motor at that point it must be from down below and I probably won't deal with it... but I'm extremely optimistic!

And since I know how much you love them, Pictures! (Don't mind the foam everywhere... I'll sand that down at some point. Had a mishap with it when installing)

This is how I left everything last weekend. I coated everything in grease to keep the moisture at bay. I am so glad I haven't put the new carpet down yet ;)

photo1.jpg

After cleaning the block of grease and old gasket material I re-installed the heads and new gaskets and torqued them down. The copper color you see just under the heads is a little over-spray of the hi tack I like using between gaskets and mating surfaces. Been using it for years, and have never had a gasket blow out.

photo2.jpg

Intake manifold was installed with new gaskets. I also spent some time cleaning out the ports. After this picture I adjusted the rockers and put the valve covers on. It was a nice feeling adding good clean oil to the engine and seeing it clear on the stick.

photo3.jpg

At this point I called it a day. I put the battery on it when turning it over to do the valve lash adjustments, and left it at TDC before removing it again. My next step is to do the ignition timing and put the carburetor back in. I absolutely love this motor! Everything looked good, but it was clear that the heads have never been off before and there wasn't even the slightest amount of gumming inside. Someone took real good care of it for a long time.

photo4.jpg

I just noticed I never posted the pictures of the mostly finished deck. Here they are.

I'm pretty happy with it. The ski locker still needs some work, but its functional and water will NEVER get by their and into the fuel tank area again! Oh and here's my solution for seats! I made these square platforms out of marine grade plywood and drilled the bolt pattern through them. I then put a T-Nut up through each hole from the bottom and glued and glassed them down in place. Now if I need to change out the seats I just unbolt them and there's no hardware going through the deck :) Once all the motor work is done and she's been good and tested I have a brand new carpet ready to be laid down. Still need to rebuilt that nasty port side dashboard as well... but hey, I have all winter for that :)

IMG_4520.jpg

IMG_4519.jpg

IMG_4518.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

IMG_4516.jpg

Quick question - the panel at the back of the ski locker which is the gas tank access, is that glassed over?

Yeah I went right over it :) I know it should be accessible, but the wood was broken and I figured at the time I would just glass it together and deal with it later. Since I just replaced the fuel vent, and fill hoses as well as the gauge wires I figured I wouldn't need to be in there this year anyways. I'll do that kind of cosmetic stuff over the winter. I also screwed up and glued and screwed that tin rim down before doing any glass work :( There's no chance of leakage there, but I would have liked to put the tin over the carpet... Again, cosmetic and will be tackled down the road, or not at all.

Great news! Glad to hear you made some forward progress and are feeling good about it. Continued good luck to you!

Agreed!! Glad to see it coming (back) together.

What I could really use is some close up engine pictures especially around the carb and intake. I was to make sure I have the linkage and choke tubes run correctly when I re-assemble.

If it would ever (*&^%$#! stop raining here in NE PA long enough for me to get to the slip with the boat and uncover it, I'll snap a bunch of pictures for you since we have the same engine/outdrive. Hopefully in the next few days. I have a crap-load of stuff going on at work right now so please IM me if you don't hear from me in a few days.

If it would ever (*&^%$#! stop raining here in NE PA long enough for me to get to the slip with the boat and uncover it, I'll snap a bunch of pictures for you since we have the same engine/outdrive. Hopefully in the next few days. I have a crap-load of stuff going on at work right now so please IM me if you don't hear from me in a few days.

That would be great thank you! I'm also looking at a few weeks of solid scheduling conflicts :( I might have a couple hours on Sunday to work on it, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed.

This is great, thank you! The choke stove looks just like mine, which is good because I was afraid that a hose may be missing to bring in fresh air. It just stops right at the top of the intake manifold. I'm real close to finished, and I'm putting the exhaust manifolds on tonight.

Finally got down to the boat (albeit, had a short ride due to a rain shower that popped up). Anyway here are the pictures I took. If you need any other shots, let me know and I can get over there this week

http://s346.photobuc...son524/hayward/

So, I put the engine all back together and fired it up! Sadly, it hydrauliced again after running about 5 minutes... I need a new block for sure. I have called around, and worst case senario is $200 from a junk yard, best case is $75 if they have it already removed. I'll try and keep you posted, but it may be a long time before I have some progress.

Doug, that really sucks brother, I'm sorry to hear this. Don't quit though, it will all be worth it in the end when you're out on the water with the wind and spray in your face! :thsmilie_water_119-1:

I found it! I just finished going through the whole block. I flushed out all the years worth of sediment, and apparently the pieces of the rusted out port side cylinder head :) It may seem bad, but I'm actually glad its just the heads! Now I just need to find a replacement...

BadHead.jpg

That's great news! Good luck getting a new set and getting on the water this season.