hayward6

Introduction

83 posts in this topic

There's not a lot to update you all on at the moment, but that should change over the next week or so.

Here's where I am...

Yesterday I stripped the motor down to the block again and cleaned and inspected everything. There was so much grit in the block that it was about 50% full and the drains wouldn't work. That's been sorted, and I'm so glad I found it. I'm learning something new at every turn, and the biggest lesson I've learned is to take it slow, and be thorough! Every time I have just done something and figured it would be close enough I have been burned...

I ordered all new gaskets (again) :) And I ordered a set of rebuilt heads. These things are beautiful! surfaces are all redone, valves and seats all done!

I figure I have a week before the parts are in so I'm going to spend some time cleaning the floor and laying the carpet, and making sure the engine is absolutely clean and ready to go. I also have some small issues with the trailer I hope to get sorted. I'm hoping to get it in the water by the first week of August.

Ok, lots to catch you up on, and I don't have much time... I replaced the heads, and gaskets, and changed the oil and filter, and took her out for a quick run about 2 weeks ago. It ran well enough but couldn't get her to go past about 25% throttle. I took a look at it last weekend and found the cables were just stuck, so that was an easy fix. This past weekend I put down the new carpet and greased everything and changed the oil again just to get the rebuild dirt worked out of it.

Well I'm please to announce that after a one hour ride around the lake today It's finally complete, and running great! I pulled the dipstick again just now and it's a nice clear amber just like when I put it in. It's been about 8 months since i bought this boat, and I've put an amazing amount of time and money into it, but I feel it was all worth it! I learned so much through this process and I will always be more confident working on this boat as well as future boats. I'm going to keep this boat since I can't possibly get my money back, and at this point I know the thing front and back :)

Thank you everyone for your support, and advice!

Me and my youngest son out on the boat this morning.

482114_10151165007198125_186184732_n.jpg

Doug, Congratulations! I can only imagine how great it felt having the boat on the water, finished, and running well. It is truly YOUR boat.

Again, congratulations on a amazing restoration, and thanks for sharing it with us through the process.

Joe

I took the family out on it yesterday. We launched out of Plymouth Ma. and spent the day hanging out at a sand bar and cruising around. It was quite evident that I'm not entirely finished working on it as it ran a little rough. It really would run WOT and started chugging and spitting above 50% seemed to run reliably enough and idled ok... The last thing I did last week was turn the rocker studs down another half turn, so I wonder if I went too far. I'm going to pull the fuel system apart and replace filters, and clean it up before I open the engine again.

Secondly, as I was turning into my driveway the starboard side trailer wheel fell completely off :) I had just topped off the buddies before leaving and they looked fine... After stripping it to the spindle I found the bearings had simply disintegrated!

So I have some work to do before going out again, the new hubs are ordered, and I'll start working out the motor issues tonight.

On a positive note we had a great time on the water, and the motor oil is still nice and clean!

I found out why she was running rough. I did a compression test on each cylinder and they all had between 165 - 175 psi except for cylinder 6. Cylinder 6 was registering zero psi... Well having never in my life recorded a reading of zero psi on a cylinder I knew right away that I had over-tightened a rocker on that one. Sure enough, I had spun the intake down an extra turn and the valve was never closing. I'm lucky I didn't wear the lobe off the cam! I went ahead and redid all of the rockers and retested PSi and they're all good now. Once the hubs arrive I'll be good to go for a second trip.