267Bob

Just Ordered a 2012 267 SSX

Although I have posted on a few other topics this past week I will formally say hello to all. I just signed a purchase contract last Sunday with Munson Ski & Marine to trade my 2006 Sea Ray 320 for a 2012 Chaparral 267 SSX plus a cash differential. Munson was the only dealer willing to trade among the 9 dealers I visited. I had the 320 on brokerage for 3 months but no nibbles so this deal saved me both thousands of dollares in IL sales taxes but also several thousand in winter storage costs. I ended up ordering my boat from the factory with all the equipment we wanted including a 8.1 GI Volvo 400 HP DP drive setup, a vacuflush head, trim tabs, radar arch and the Carbon Series grapics. The picture below is of an identical 2011 that I found on the internet since my won't be delivered until sometime in January. I also may be eligible for some Chicago Boat Show incentives that include an extended engine/drive warranty plus some rebates from Chaparral.

The reason I am trading for a smaller boat is we plan to move to Scottsdale AZ as soon as our house here sells and we will be boating on Lake Bartlett which is only 2,000 acres compared to Lake Michigan that is 1,000s of square miles. The Admiral also want a boat that steers like a car so she can drive it also compared to the shifters and throttles on the V Drive 320.

I chose the Volvo over Mercruiser based upon recommendations from other about easier servicing and smoother shifting. I also had a bad experience on my second boat with a big block Mercruiser (454) and its B3 drive. When I traded it in on the 320 the trade check revealed a worn coupler. Mercruiser puts aluminum couplers on at the factory but the drive shaft on the B3 drive is steel so guess what wears first! To replace it cost me $1,500 because the engine has to be pulled but the replacement coupler from Mercruiser is steel. According to my Sea Ray salesman, they are still putting aluminum couplers on at the factory.

How come you folks here use the term "deer" for US Currency? Is this Chapanese for "money?"wink.gif

post-13091-1318610000_thumb.jpg

Welcome, I to just traded in @ Munson. I close on Oct.21st. same incentive offers (hope they are what was suggested), we use deer due to the forum rules of no pricing discussions. so deer = $, silly but it is what it is

good luck on your home sale and I bought w/ the volvo as well due to maint. DIY ease. The volvo has only 4 screws in the front to remove the impeller housing vs. a hard to reach on my 496 merc. , oil changes using the dipstick to pump out the oil. hopefully these are items I can while at the slip.

you will love your boat, visit the garmin site and get the G2 vision charts, big upgrade for the GPS

we need a short winter!!!! :beer-7687-1:

Welcome to Arizona. I'm in Phoenix, and keep my Chap slipped at Lake Pleasant....10,000 acres. From Scottsdale you're about halfway between Bartlett, Saguaro, and Canyon Lakes on the east side of the valley, and Pleasant on the west side....hope you can enjoy them all. Even though these reservoir lakes are not thousands of square miles, you'll love boating on them year round...just hitting perfect weather now.

Welcome, I to just traded in @ Munson. I close on Oct.21st. same incentive offers (hope they are what was suggested), we use deer due to the forum rules of no pricing discussions. so deer = $, silly but it is what it is

good luck on your home sale and I bought w/ the volvo as well due to maint. DIY ease. The volvo has only 4 screws in the front to remove the impeller housing vs. a hard to reach on my 496 merc. , oil changes using the dipstick to pump out the oil. hopefully these are items I can while at the slip.

you will love your boat, visit the garmin site and get the G2 vision charts, big upgrade for the GPS

we need a short winter!!!! beer-7687-1.gif

Delaney,

You've confirmed what I been told above ease of servicing for Volvos. It took my previous marina 5 hours to change the impellers on my twin 6.2 Mercruisers due to the poor design. I looked into the G2 chart for Lake Michigan and it was 250 deer which was a bit too dear for me. It looks like both of us will have extra long winters waiting to get our shiney new boats in the water net Spring!

Congrats on the new boat.

Congrats on moving to Az....lots of lakes to boat on, and weather to accomodate. (need to adjust time of day during Summers)

Bartlett is not huge, but interesting and one of my favorite lakes. I mostly boat on Lake Pleasant.

Also, Lake Powell is not that far away.

We also have a great Chappy dealer in town to provide maintenance, parts, etc. when needed.

:beer-7687-1:

Welcome to Arizona. I'm in Phoenix, and keep my Chap slipped at Lake Pleasant....10,000 acres. From Scottsdale you're about halfway between Bartlett, Saguaro, and Canyon Lakes on the east side of the valley, and Pleasant on the west side....hope you can enjoy them all. Even though these reservoir lakes are not thousands of square miles, you'll love boating on them year round...just hitting perfect weather now.

Lake Pleasant seemed too crowded with an abundance of 30 somethings looking for a party which is why the Admiral and I plan to boat on Bartlett Lake once we sell our house and can buy a new one there in Scottsdale. I will certainly look forward to be able to boat 12 months of the year instead of 5-6 and not having store my boat in a heated building over the winter. One question since you wet slip your boat. Did you bottom paint or do you have a boat lift or some other way to clean the bottom?

We don't wet slip anymore. Had a houseboat on Pleasant years ago. Fiberglass hull...didn't paint bottom, just cleaned...no problems.

We now trailer boat to Pleasant, but hope to get back to Marina/slip boating in near future.

:thsmilie_water_119-1:

Congrats on your soon to be new toy. You will not miss the humidity of the east out west. Next summer you should check out Lake Powell. It's about 150 miles long w/ many side canyons, my favorite destination on all of the Colorado River system.

IMG_1233.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

Welcome to the group. :oregonian_winesmiley:

Congrats on the new boat....... :clapsmiley:

From a guy who has only been to AZ once what a great size boat and a great place to boat.

Hope to see ya in 2015 when we come back to Powell.

matt

I finally set up some pictures on photobucket account. I tried a few days ago to upload them directly but I got 6 copies of the same photo. With these bigger photos you can see the red canvas. These are pictures of a 2011 but the only difference is for 2012 they put metal instead of plastic covers on the speakers.

digi40393550_l.jpg

digi40393554_l.jpg

digi40393556_l.jpg

digi40393558_l.jpg

digi40393560_l.jpg

digi40393562_l.jpg

Congrats on the new boat. You will definitely enjoy the year round boating here in Arizona.

Welcome to the forum!

B-E-A-utiful boat !!! Welcome to the Chap Family !!

:beer-7687-1:

I just got my 2012 287 SSX w/ a Volvo 8.1, I keep it Down in Naples FL I just love the boat. Any thoughts on how to get more performance out of the motor.

Delaney,

You've confirmed what I been told above ease of servicing for Volvos. It took my previous marina 5 hours to change the impellers on my twin 6.2 Mercruisers due to the poor design. I looked into the G2 chart for Lake Michigan and it was 250 deer which was a bit too dear for me. It looks like both of us will have extra long winters waiting to get our shiney new boats in the water net Spring!

I just got my 2012 287 SSX w/ a Volvo 8.1, I keep it Down in Naples FL I just love the boat. Any thoughts on how to get more performance out of the motor.

Yes, put that same motor on a smaller, lighter boat like my 267!!;)

Well my wait will soon be over. Just got word from the dealer that my new 267 SSX will be delivered next Thursday. It will be another couple of months before I will actually get to take it out on the water but we Midwesternors are patient folks!:oregonian_winesmiley:

Well as of today I am now officially a Chaparral owner since I signed over the Sea Ray 320 to the dealer and here are some pictures now of my boat instead of internet ones. The trailer is the dealers used to move the boat around and the bimini hanging over the bow didn't fit quite right from the factory so they are going to send it out to a canvas guy to fix it. So contrary to some recent posts, some dealers due fix things before they go out to the customer. The boat was check over completely by a mechanic who showed my wife and I how things worked and answered any questions we had. :clapsmiley:

HouseBoat100.jpg

HouseBoat099.jpg

HouseBoat098.jpg

HouseBoat097.jpg

HouseBoat096.jpg

HouseBoat094.jpg

HouseBoat093.jpg

HouseBoat092.jpg

HouseBoat091.jpg

HouseBoat090.jpg

Bob

What a sweet looking boat. Those graphics are awesome.

I know you are glad to finally have her after your long wait.

Big block = :drool5:

Congrats !! I remember seeing your first post about it near the same time I joined and posted about ours. Guess I'll have to live my life vicariously through you untill April, LOL Congrats again !

An absolutely beautiful boat!

Especially love the graphics and the black/red arch and canvas color combination. She will get noticed wherever you go.

Enjoy!