delaney

Engine Alignment

I officially traded in my 264 last week. Our deal required that my boat (264) pass an inspection. It did as i knew it would but there was one suprise - the engine alignment was significantly bad. I was asked if the boat ran rough, vibrated or other noticable issue.

I never noticed anything that would cause me concern - they performed the engine alignment no cost to me but just wondering if others had similar alignment occurances?

Mercruiser Service manuals recommend to align engines every 100 hours or once a year.

So, it is routine maintenance task. It is a quick and simple procedure, dealer didn't loose much giving it for free.

I did alignment by myself last year, engine was misaligned, but I couldn't feel it.

Engine get's misaligned with time, it is normal.

If engine will stay misaligned for several years, your coupler might be broken.

If you didn't have bad symptoms, don't worry about it.

I'm taking my 256 at the beginning of next week to be winterized. Is this something I should have them look at or is it something they should notice themselves? Like Denali stated I haven’t noticed anything but maybe if it happened over time I got used to it?? Last I checked I was ~160 hours. It’s my first year with the boat so I’m not really sure what all the previous own had checked each year. As of right now I plan to have the outdrive dropped and checked, impeller replaced, and other normal winterization processes.

I'm taking my 256 at the beginning of next week to be winterized. Is this something I should have them look at or is it something they should notice themselves? Like Denali stated I haven’t noticed anything but maybe if it happened over time I got used to it?? Last I checked I was ~160 hours. It’s my first year with the boat so I’m not really sure what all the previous own had checked each year. As of right now I plan to have the outdrive dropped and checked, impeller replaced, and other normal winterization processes.

If you drop outdrive, ask them to check alignment.

The service offered to me from my dealer for winterization was:

1. Engine Oil

2. Fuel Separator

3. Fog

4. Antifreeze

5. Stabil in Fuel

6. Outdrive Oil

7. Remove Outdrive

8. Grease Fittings

9. Inspect Bellows

10. Realign

11. Reinstall Outdrive

I don't have the time, worth every cent of the 300 deer I gave them.

I was checking the records with the my Mechnic. He noticed that we haven't done since 08 he's going to pull the drive and do it in the spring.

matt

Denali (Delaney) is your 264 sold yet?

I can speak first hand about alignment since it cost me $1,500 to replace a coupler on my 1999 Mariah Z280 with a Mercruiser 454 and Bravo 3 drive. Turns out Mercruiser puts an aluminum coupler on their engines from the factory while the drive shaft spline is steel. The replacement coupler from Mercruiser was steel. If you have a big block Mercruiser engine and Bravo 3 check your alignment at least every 100 hours as the manual specifies. If you are a DYI owner the alignment tool is just a steel rod with splines on one end. If it slides into the coupler with no binding, your alignment is fine. If it doesn't slide in smoothly you are out of alignment.

I've got an alignment tool and check mine every other year. Never had to realign my boat but have done a couple of friends boats. Generally, if your drive removes and reinstalls easily it's probably in alignment. But technically you should use the tool and check it twice. Rotate the engine 180 degrees for the second check. This is really important if you have R and R'd the engine.

I've got an alignment tool and check mine every other year. Never had to realign my boat but have done a couple of friends boats. Generally, if your drive removes and reinstalls easily it's probably in alignment. But technically you should use the tool and check it twice. Rotate the engine 180 degrees for the second check. This is really important if you have R and R'd the engine.

Those guys make good quality alignment tool http://mbsmfg.com/maenalto.html.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Drive-Alignment-Bar-Tool-Mercruiser-P-N-91-805475A1-and-91-57797A3-/370550374931?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item5646860213#ht_4431wt_1398

I've got mine from them. 1/3 of OEM price.

Another good reason to pull the outdrive and store it indoors over the winter. You get to make sure everything is still good back there before you put the boat back in the water for the season. Helps to prevent having to do a short haul for something that could have been caught early. I check mine every Spring regardless of hours used.

I can speak first hand about alignment since it cost me $1,500 to replace a coupler on my 1999 Mariah Z280 with a Mercruiser 454 and Bravo 3 drive. Turns out Mercruiser puts an aluminum coupler on their engines from the factory while the drive shaft spline is steel. The replacement coupler from Mercruiser was steel. If you have a big block Mercruiser engine and Bravo 3 check your alignment at least every 100 hours as the manual specifies. If you are a DYI owner the alignment tool is just a steel rod with splines on one end. If it slides into the coupler with no binding, your alignment is fine. If it doesn't slide in smoothly you are out of alignment.

Never saw an alignment tool with spines on it. Who make it?

W

That's a great price, thanks for the link! I'm contemplating pulling the drive myself next year but I'm kind of nervous. I need a stand as well as the Bravo III is heavy!

That's a great price, thanks for the link! I'm contemplating pulling the drive myself next year but I'm kind of nervous. I need a stand as well as the Bravo III is heavy!

Here are some DIY stands ideas:

by professor48

outdrive004.jpg

by Pops http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=17306

post-9655-1318250000_thumb.jpg

by me (design inspired by professor48)

gallery_631_320_14167.jpg

And couple of industrial stands (pricy):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdrive-Stand-Mercruiser-Volvopenta-OMC-Yamaha-honda-/280488850305?hash=item414e703381&item=280488850305&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr#ht_1103wt_1008

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Boat-Outdrive-Jack-Stand-Drivestand-OMC-Mercruiser-Etc-/110759839186?hash=item19c9cd05d2&item=110759839186&pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr#ht_600wt_1240

Here is last fall B3 removal topic by professor48.

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=13609

W

I seem to remember it had splines but it was Skipper Bud's in Volo, IL so I have no idea who made it. I remember the grease being slightly scored when I pulled it back out due to binding on the coupler on the way in.

Leonid, you beat me to it! I was going to post a photo of the stand. MonkeySeaII: I recommend pulling the drive and storing it at the end of every season. It gives you the opportunity to check things and it prevents the drive from being stolen. One of our sons is coming out this weekend to give me a hand pulling the drive. Last year I did it alone, using a piece of 3/4" plywood as a ramp and a come-along as an aid to get it into my car trunk. I took it out by myself and slid it onto the stand, not an easy job. I won't even attempt it again without help; my back is really in bad shape. I bought an alignment tool on eBay years ago for about 30. It's simple to use and very effective. There are numerous posts on this forum and others, as well as on YouTube, on how to do the alignment check. Definitely worthwhile. Stay warm, all, and think spring. Hy

W

It was probably an old yoke assembly with the yoke cut off.

It was probably an old yoke assembly with the yoke cut off.

That's what I thought. A proper alignment tool is a few thousands fatter so that it will drag even if alignment is a only a few degrees off.

W

Leonid, you beat me to it! I was going to post a photo of the stand. MonkeySeaII: I recommend pulling the drive and storing it at the end of every season. It gives you the opportunity to check things and it prevents the drive from being stolen. One of our sons is coming out this weekend to give me a hand pulling the drive. Last year I did it alone, using a piece of 3/4" plywood as a ramp and a come-along as an aid to get it into my car trunk. I took it out by myself and slid it onto the stand, not an easy job. I won't even attempt it again without help; my back is really in bad shape. I bought an alignment tool on eBay years ago for about 30. It's simple to use and very effective. There are numerous posts on this forum and others, as well as on YouTube, on how to do the alignment check. Definitely worthwhile. Stay warm, all, and think spring. Hy

Thanks for the tips. I had it pulled and serviced by a dealer this year but next year I may try it myself. I store my boat indoors in my In-Law's barn so I'm not worried about theft. I would just pull it off, lube, inspect, align, etc. then re-install.

http://www.munsonski.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=04455683X11K3K2011J11I53I24JPMQ2672R0&veh=61501&pov=2364691

In the gallery pics you can see your name on the tag B)

Just a little bigger than I wanted this time around, otherwise I would have grabbed her from you. :drool5:

just talking w/ my wife about if our decision was a good one. we are just a bit nervous and very much enjoyed our 264. a long winter, i am sure i will get excited as spring approaches

someone will eventually have a great boat if they buy that 264, i treated that boat better than my kids

Lol, well the add does say it’s the most immaculate 264 they have ever seen. I was really looking at a 264 but, felt it was a little more than I wanted to tow around. Had I been at a lake with a marina, I would have bought a 264. Probably yours.

Delaney,

“THE MOST IMMACULATE 264 WE HAVE EVER SEEN”

Nice work, that’s something to be proud of!!!!

Where did you have your trim tab switch installed? I didn’t see it in the helm pic and they zoomed in so far on the other picture I can’t tell where it’s located.

I like the wood in the bathroom. I actually asked on another thread if someone had a pic of it.

Delaney,

“THE MOST IMMACULATE 264 WE HAVE EVER SEEN”

Nice work, that’s something to be proud of!!!!

Where did you have your trim tab switch installed? I didn’t see it in the helm pic and they zoomed in so far on the other picture I can’t tell where it’s located.

I like the wood in the bathroom. I actually asked on another thread if someone had a pic of it.

thanks for the compliment. the trim tabs are right side of steering column but on the underside or slope of the helm. it is not the best location, fine for use but causes you to move your head to look at the indicator lights thus taking your eye off the water in front of you.

just talking w/ my wife about if our decision was a good one. we are just a bit nervous and very much enjoyed our 264. a long winter, i am sure i will get excited as spring approaches

someone will eventually have a great boat if they buy that 264, i treated that boat better than my kids

I don't think you will have any regrets. That 327 is a BEAUTIFUL boat. I want one for a retirement present. Maybe in 15 years lol.