Argonaut

206 SSi

22 posts in this topic

I had been focusing on a separate boat, but have come across an almost unused 2011 model 206 SSi .......

This is fitted though with VP 4.3 L which is stated as 225hp

Anybody any experience of how this boat performs with this engine ?

Advertised as 55mph top speed, but that is not particularly important ... my use is for towed recreational watersports ... so low end pull, and planing time is more relevant.

My current boat is a 20'6" .. although 2' of that is bating platform, 127kg (2705lb) it has the 190hp carb Mercruiser ... it performs perfectly adequately for the towed sports.

Assume the 225hp VP especially with fuel injection would e a step up form what I have now.

Most people say to get as much engine as possible, but I think that set-up is probably fine for the 206. Add smart tabs for sure to help planing quicker. Good luck :beer-7687-1:

dsc00999jh.jpg

Well, at the risk of being a killjoy, I'm not sure you'll have enough "grunt" if the boat is loaded and you're pulling a largish skier up out of the water. I have a 206 with the Merc 5.0 and a B3 propset. It is fabulous when the boat's just got us 4 on, or when pulling a wakeboarder up and out. It is only OK when the boat is fully loaded and I am pulling a large skier. I could probably change the props to improve this but don't want to drop the 1000 deer or so for this once a year event.

So, I'm not sure this boat has enough power for you.

Good luck.

Most people say to get as much engine as possible, but I think that set-up is probably fine for the 206. Add smart tabs for sure to help planing quicker. Good luck :beer-7687-1:

I'm a big fan of Smart Tabs .. have them & retractors fitted to current boat.

We are normally 2 in boat & 1 in the water.

The 190hp with a High Five prop and Smart Tabs has never struggled, but do need to get make sure 4.3L 225hp would be OK on the 206

Is there a High Five equivalent for VP drives ?

I have the exact boat you are looking at. Overall, I love the boat and am happy with the engine choice. I will say I have had some trouble pulling up a slalom skier on a performance slalom ski (if you aren't using a very narrow ski it is not a problem). It will rip you out of the water with no problem wakeboarding, knee boarding, or tubing. I did load the boat to max capacity (11 people) and although difficult, was still able to successfully wakeboard. Again, I have pulled up slalom skiers on wider slalom skis with no problem but there is a long drag time (about 7 or 8 seconds) with a performance ski.

Now, if you look back at my past posts you'll see many responses on getting the performance slalom up. I was told (this is from other people) that A) I would have no problem getting great hole shot with a new prop (which I have but have no tried out yet) and B) even if you get the larger engine on the 206 (the largest of which adds about 12K to the price), the weight of the engine almost completely nullifies the gain in low end torque. Again, those are just comments from others.

Also, my boat does have a wakeboard tower from the factory which I'm told adds a lot of weight. If you don't have a tower, you can factor that in as well. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

I have the exact boat you are looking at.

............Also, my boat does have a wakeboard tower from the factory which I'm told adds a lot of weight. If you don't have a tower, you can factor that in as well. I'm more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

The one I'm looking at does have a Tower fitted & SS Prop

Do you have Smart Tabs on yours ? found they made huge difference on current boat.

Most of time it's wakeboarding, kneeboarding and for me particulalry riding a SkySki ... on ocasions I do ski I use an HO WideTrax Slalom ...so don't use a narrow comp ski.

OK folks, been a really long time since i have been on here.  Still have my 1996 1830ss.  We just agreed to a sale yesterday on a 2013 206ssi.   However may have second thoughts and need some help.  It has 4.3 e volvo penta -200 with a 19 pitch stainless prop

I could not get above 41mph (GPS) and at WOT I was only hitting about 4000rpm.  There was three in the boat, and weather was calm.  Hole shot was good, but concerned I was not getting to 4400 to 4800 RPM and really thought I would be approaching 50mph with this configuration.  

Please let me know thoughts on this.  I may be backing out of the sale if I can't get a good answer.  I really don't think it's the prop pitch as I have seen many accounts of similar boats with a 19 pitch prop.  

Otherwise boat is beautiful, great shape and hours are low to in range.  

Would love to hear any responses you get. Also fighting a similar situation with our 235ssi. 4,000 RPM is max.

2 hours ago, Quag said:

OK folks, been a really long time since i have been on here.  Still have my 1996 1830ss.  We just agreed to a sale yesterday on a 2013 206ssi.   However may have second thoughts and need some help.  It has 4.3 e volvo penta -200 with a 19 pitch stainless prop

I could not get above 41mph (GPS) and at WOT I was only hitting about 4000rpm.  There was three in the boat, and weather was calm.  Hole shot was good, but concerned I was not getting to 4400 to 4800 RPM and really thought I would be approaching 50mph with this configuration.  

Please let me know thoughts on this.  I may be backing out of the sale if I can't get a good answer.  I really don't think it's the prop pitch as I have seen many accounts of similar boats with a 19 pitch prop.  

you can lots of opinions here. but the next step would be to have a mechanic look it over and make any repairs and re test.  Prop could be it if it was way off.  Chances are its a small routing maint item like plugs or something.

On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2011 at 10:16 AM, brompton said:

Well, at the risk of being a killjoy, I'm not sure you'll have enough "grunt" if the boat is loaded and you're pulling a largish skier up out of the water. I have a 206 with the Merc 5.0 and a B3 propset. It is fabulous when the boat's just got us 4 on, or when pulling a wakeboarder up and out. It is only OK when the boat is fully loaded and I am pulling a large skier. I could probably change the props to improve this but don't want to drop the 1000 deer or so for this once a year event.

So, I'm not sure this boat has enough power for you.

Good luck.

depends on a 20ft boat your either getting a high HP v6 or low HP v8,  short of putting 300 plus hp in that boat, when its loaded down with people its going to struggle some or a lot, just the way it is. 

That package in that boat will do just fine for every day use.

3 hours ago, Quag said:

Hmm, I believe you are meaning the 206 SSi boat won't reach over 41 mph?? That boat if I recall would easily reach 50 MPH with the 4.3L MPI V6 with a light load. SS prop from the factory should indicate the engine is fuel injected. For only getting 4000 RPM, I'm going to venture that the engine is down a cylinder, and needs a tune up. (dist cap, rotor, spark plugs) Other possibility is fuel is stale, or perhaps an ethanol fuel related problem. Bottom clean?

If the engine is fuel injected, the following Mercury parts will be direct fit for that particular Volvo engine:

1 of Mercury / Quicksilver Cap & Rotor Kit V6 4.3 MPI 898253T23, 898253013, 8M6001222, or 898253T28 (just reuse the stock Volvo dist cap mounting screws)

6 of NGK ITR4A-15 Laser Iridium spark plugs - they're pre-gapped, so don't mess with it.

For that matter, you could probably go to NAPA, and ask for a good quality cap / rotor kit for a 1997 Chev 1/2 ton and the NGK spark plugs.

Image result for 898253t23Image result for ngk itr4a-15

With that good hole shot, I'd expect that you'd be hitting the limiter with a low pitched prop or at least hitting max wot rpms.  That last 800 rpms is where all the fun happens.  

It's possible the prop is just wrong.  Alomg those lines, my boat has a 17 inch ss prop and can only muster 5000rpms when it should be over revving like crazy but the prop is specifically for high hp big blocks not small block v8's.  It's perfect for the application as it turns out but would make you scratch your head as to why it stops at 5000 rpms and not a bit more.  Don't know how the previous owner ever settled on this prop but it's there and I don't plan on changing it.  Maybe you have a prop mismatch as well.  I'd expect that you'd be having some other symptoms if it was tune up related?

Appreciate the feedback folks.  We backed out of the deal last summer, but boat is still for sale.  They told us in the Fall the issue was fixed.  May take a look at again. Really clean boat, but we are looking for a bit bigger and a V8.  Upside to this is good gas mileage and still an upgrade from my little 4 banger.  Posting link here if anyone has any comment.  

http://www.navcompany.com/preowned?c=166&i=3206

On 4/8/2018 at 11:01 AM, dsmacey said:

Did they ever tell you what the issue was?

Combination of prop and tune up.  Hoping to sea trial this week.

OK so the saga continues.  Took a test ride again today and still having issues.  Hopefully a smaller one now as the fuel pump was whining. Could not get the boat over 38mph on GPS.  Starved for fuel.  They are replacing fuel filter and checking pick up.  Really like this boat but beginning to wonder if meant to be.  Did have good hole shot and was able to get to 4700 RPM, but not topping out, stalling and backfiring. 

Some questions.  Anyone know where I can 2013 SSI owners manual.  Searched the forum and found the manual page, but nothing for SSI.  Has a built in GPS and want to be familiar with it to see how it works for next test drive.

The built in GPS is a Garmin 531 or 541 probably.  I don't think there is much of anything in the owner's manual about it. You can get the manual from the Garmin website still, I believe. 

9 hours ago, dsmacey said:

The built in GPS is a Garmin 531 or 541 probably.  I don't think there is much of anything in the owner's manual about it. You can get the manual from the Garmin website still, I believe. 

I will check again, was searching for it on the Garmin site, but could not find.  I will do a more detailed search

Garmin has one of the best organized product sites for current and legacy products. Just find out exactly what model you have, use Google and search using the full model name and number. The Garmin page for that model will come up. All info, specs, accessories, manuals, software updated, and such will be accessible from that page.

On 4/14/2018 at 11:24 AM, Richard W said:

Garmin has one of the best organized product sites for current and legacy products. Just find out exactly what model you have, use Google and search using the full model name and number. The Garmin page for that model will come up. All info, specs, accessories, manuals, software updated, and such will be accessible from that page.

Thanks.  I will do that.