Argonaut

206 SSi

31 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Quag said:

Thanks.  Will the size make a difference?  Right now it is a 15 inch prop.  Seems big to me.  

There's a joke there somewhere . . . 

15" is pretty large, never mind(I'm not taking the bait Futzin, but I'm finding it difficult to resist)

On 4/26/2018 at 9:26 PM, Quag said:

Thanks.  Will the size make a difference?  Right now it is a 15 inch prop.  Seems big to me.  

15" is probably referring to the prop diameter? Diameter sizing goes down as pitch sizing goes up. I find pitch is more important that diameter.

Just wanting to confirm; this is the 206 SSi WT that you had been looking at initially with an engine running problem - believe it had a 19" stainless steel prop on it? If so, they did a tune up and then installed a 17" aluminum prop, said the problem was fixed, but you're now finding boat is still not making proper power and RPM?

Should the above be correct, then I think the engine has a mechanical issue, quite possibly fuel related that is causing the engine to not reach full RPM and power potential. (you had mentioned the fuel pump is whining) Unless you're boating at a high elevation, I'm thinking the original 19" pitch prop was correctly sized.

For fuel related problems, I like to start with the basics.

- checking to make sure the fuel pump harness has a good, clean connection - they partially fall off easily enough when the engine is being serviced

- running the engine on an outboard fuel tank with fresh fuel that is preferably 6 gallons in size and then plumbing the fuel line directly to the fuel pump on the engine. NOTE: Working with fuel is dangerous. Great care needs to be taken to prevent the outboard fuel tank hose from becoming entangled in the serpentine belt, or being pinched off from the engine hatch, etc. Normally for that model I would place and secure the fuel tank in the compartment under the walk thru, being very careful regarding fuel vapours. (running the bilge blower motor the entire time) I say 6 gallons as the engine doesn't run very long on this amount of fuel when performing higher speed test runs. This test isolates the anti-siphon valve, fuel pick up and fuel line to the engine.

- perform a fuel pressure test (this requires proper tools and expertise) 

Ethanol fuel could be the culprit, as it goes skunky rather quickly and can give all sorts of engine running problems. Have seen low and high pressure fuel pumps fail. I'm just spit balling here, but my gut says the high pressure pump is not working properly. 

As my favourite YouTuber Preston Jacobs states "As always, I'm probably wrong on about half of this..."

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-47702824-23-37360.aspx

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/759-00-oem-volvo-fuel-pump-21608511-in-stock-ready-to-ship/

Image result for loose fuel pump harness volvo penta

12 hours ago, Shepherd1 said:

15" is probably referring to the prop diameter? Diameter sizing goes down as pitch sizing goes up. I find pitch is more important that diameter.

Just wanting to confirm; this is the 206 SSi WT that you had been looking at initially with an engine running problem - believe it had a 19" stainless steel prop on it? If so, they did a tune up and then installed a 17" aluminum prop, said the problem was fixed, but you're now finding boat is still not making proper power and RPM?

Should the above be correct, then I think the engine has a mechanical issue, quite possibly fuel related that is causing the engine to not reach full RPM and power potential. (you had mentioned the fuel pump is whining) Unless you're boating at a high elevation, I'm thinking the original 19" pitch prop was correctly sized.

For fuel related problems, I like to start with the basics.

- checking to make sure the fuel pump harness has a good, clean connection - they partially fall off easily enough when the engine is being serviced

- running the engine on an outboard fuel tank with fresh fuel that is preferably 6 gallons in size and then plumbing the fuel line directly to the fuel pump on the engine. NOTE: Working with fuel is dangerous. Great care needs to be taken to prevent the outboard fuel tank hose from becoming entangled in the serpentine belt, or being pinched off from the engine hatch, etc. Normally for that model I would place and secure the fuel tank in the compartment under the walk thru, being very careful regarding fuel vapours. (running the bilge blower motor the entire time) I say 6 gallons as the engine doesn't run very long on this amount of fuel when performing higher speed test runs. This test isolates the anti-siphon valve, fuel pick up and fuel line to the engine.

- perform a fuel pressure test (this requires proper tools and expertise) 

Ethanol fuel could be the culprit, as it goes skunky rather quickly and can give all sorts of engine running problems. Have seen low and high pressure fuel pumps fail. I'm just spit balling here, but my gut says the high pressure pump is not working properly. 

As my favourite YouTuber Preston Jacobs states "As always, I'm probably wrong on about half of this..."

https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-explodedview-47702824-23-37360.aspx

http://www.cecilmarineonline.com/759-00-oem-volvo-fuel-pump-21608511-in-stock-ready-to-ship/

Image result for loose fuel pump harness volvo penta

There was a problem of not getting to WOT.  At first they thought it was the prop (not sure what it had on originally but was stainless)  They changed the prop to a 15inch (diameter) 17p 3 blade aluminum.  Still had issues, but mechanic jumped in confirmed it was fuel.  Changed filter and pick up and resealed everything.  No issues getting to WOT now with a 17p prop (4800RPM).  Great hole shot of course, but suffers at the top end.  I am going to try a 19p prop 14.3 diameter.  Hopefully that improves top end and in my experience a 19P should give me a decent hole shot.  I saw your note about a 4 blade stainless after I ordered a 3blade.  I am sticking with aluminum though since I am on rivers quite a bit and can be debris just below surface and like the forgiveness of aluminum.  

Quag, I have a 2009 196 SSi with the 4.3L GXi Volvo Penta setup. Mine came with the Volvo SS 19P 3-blade and would not hit WOT (only managed 4300-ish RPMs), but managed just above 50MPH given some time a the right amount of trim. For pulling skiers etc I dropped to a 4-blade 17P aluminum and this got me to WOT easily but I dropped max speed down to about 48MPH. See previous post here: http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?/topic/36456-prop-advice/#comment-400664

To be honest, this is a great setup for cruising and general water sports and fuel economy is great, but I think for pulling serious slalom skiers with a boat load of onlookers a 5L engine would be better.

On 5/3/2018 at 0:42 PM, Ronbill said:

Quag, I have a 2009 196 SSi with the 4.3L GXi Volvo Penta setup. Mine came with the Volvo SS 19P 3-blade and would not hit WOT (only managed 4300-ish RPMs), but managed just above 50MPH given some time a the right amount of trim. For pulling skiers etc I dropped to a 4-blade 17P aluminum and this got me to WOT easily but I dropped max speed down to about 48MPH. See previous post here: http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?/topic/36456-prop-advice/#comment-400664

To be honest, this is a great setup for cruising and general water sports and fuel economy is great, but I think for pulling serious slalom skiers with a boat load of onlookers a 5L engine would be better.

Thanks.  I think the overall set up will be fine, however I still need to overcome the fuel issues.  Having issues after taking out first time.  Seems to be just what Shepard said, fuel pump.  Having it looked at now.  Not the way I wanted to start out with a new used boat though.