geiser77

The "Little Loop" trip

Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone is interested. Weather and water level permitting, we are planning a trip from Central florida down the ICW, across the Okeechobee, through Ft. Myers/Naples, down to the keys and back up the atlantic coast with several stops along the way. Planning for 14-16 days to do the trip somewhere in the beggining to end of March 2012. Its always great to have a group and thought I'd offer to see if anyone is interested in joining the adventure, either part way or the whole way! If anyone might be interested in more details, let me know.

From start to finish, its about 500 +/- miles, from what I plotted with my Garmin software. We have another 300 miles to go from that point, from coming South to the Okeechobee and then heading home once we get back to it. I have wanted to do it for quite a while and now have the time. I also thought it would be a lot of fun to have a group together and take over a few docks at some marinas along the way, lol! I'll keep you posted, were gonna try and pin the dates down sometime in the next week or two.

Florida Loop Raft-Up......................

mmmmmmmm Can just see Roy at dinner tonight telling Diane. About going to Florida in march for this little function. :popcorn:

matt

It wouldn't be the first time I proposed something and she responded with: You are joking, aren't you? If I had a blue boat, I would seriously consider the proposition.

Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone is interested. Weather and water level permitting, we are planning a trip from Central florida down the ICW, across the Okeechobee, through Ft. Myers/Naples, down to the keys and back up the atlantic coast with several stops along the way. Planning for 14-16 days to do the trip somewhere in the beggining to end of March 2012. Its always great to have a group and thought I'd offer to see if anyone is interested in joining the adventure, either part way or the whole way! If anyone might be interested in more details, let me know.

March will likely be difficult for us, but if you decide on late May or early June we would strongly consider joining you at Fort Myers. We are about a day's ride north of there. Some friends of ours at Marco Island would likely join the caravan to Key West or perhaps Islamorada. I've been told a run to the Dry Tortugas can be quite an adventure!

Either way, I highly recommend spending a couple of nights at Rialto Harbor http://www.rialtoharbor.com/ in Alva, just a few miles WB before the Franklin Lock. If no room at Rialto, the Fort Myers City Yacht Basin is within walking distance of several fine downtown restaurants.

Please keep us posted as to your plans!

OK, so we have narrowed our dates down and we are going to shoot for March 24th thru April 7th 2012. We waited until the end of April last year and couldn't get across the lake because of water levels dropping extremely close to the drafts of some boats! Hopefully we can have a chance to meet some of the Chap owners over on the west coast or down in the Keys. You could join the run even if you dont own a Chap, the best reason to go is for the journey and meeting new friends along the way. Hope to hear from some of you.

Just in case anyone happens to be considering this trip, below is an update as fas as our plans go for now. We are planning the stops as listed below, if we run into problems with transient dockage we will look at other marinas nearby. I hope to hear some response if any one has good or bad reviews on the marinas I have listed. Also if you have a place to reccomend, I would love to know about it. Sorry the list is not so easy to read, apparently excel files are not allowed to uploaded here!

Anyone considering joining anywhere along the way for the trip?

Night Day Location Marina Name VHF Channel Phone Contact

1 Friday 23rd Saint Lucie Sunset Bay Marina 69 772-283-9225

2 Saturday 24th Clewiston Roland Martin No VHF monitor 863-983-3151

3 Sunday 25th Fort Myers Legacy Harbor Monitor - 16 239-461-0775

4 Monday 26th Fort Myers Legacy Harbor Working - 12 239-461-0775

5 Tuesday 27th Marco Island Marco Island Yacht Club Mon 16/Work 11 239-394-0199

6 Wednesday 28th Key West Galleon 16 305-292-1292

7 Thursday 29th Key West Galleon 16 305-292-1292

8 Friday 30th Marathon Captain Pips or Blackfin 305-743-4403/305-743-2393

9 Saturday 31st Marathon Captain Pips or Blackfin 305-743-4403/305-743-2393

10 Sunday 1st Islamorada Postcard Inn Holiday Isle Mon 16/Work 73 305-664-2321

11 Monday 2nd Islamorada Postcard Inn Holiday Isle Mon 16/Work 73 305-664-2321

12 Tuesday 3rd Adjustable Day Open

13 Wednesday 4th Key Largo Pilot House Marina 16 305-393-3638

14 Thursday 5th Key Largo Pilot House Marina 16 305-393-3638

15 Friday 6th Fort Lauderdale Lauderdale Yacht Club Mon 16/Work 69 954-524-5500

16 Saturday 7th Stuart Pirates Cove 68 772-287-2500

Re: Clewiston Roland Martin - we stopped there five months ago - very friendly people... good tiki bar atmosphere... decent food... well-equipped marine store... skinny water... docks in need of major repairs... fuel pump was not working...

geiser 77

Sounds like a nice plan. Did I hear it from you guys out there the night of Cocoa Beach Christmas Parade?

Dbalk

Merritt Island

We didn't do the Cocoa Beach parade this year, but we have been mentioning it to quite a few people, so it could be the same trip??

Just in case anyone happens to be considering this trip, below is an update as fas as our plans go for now. We are planning the stops as listed below, if we run into problems with transient dockage we will look at other marinas nearby. I hope to hear some response if any one has good or bad reviews on the marinas I have listed. Also if you have a place to reccomend, I would love to know about it. Sorry the list is not so easy to read, apparently excel files are not allowed to uploaded here!

Anyone considering joining anywhere along the way for the trip?

Night Day Location Marina Name VHF Channel Phone Contact

1 Friday 23rd Saint Lucie Sunset Bay Marina 69 772-283-9225

2 Saturday 24th Clewiston Roland Martin No VHF monitor 863-983-3151

3 Sunday 25th Fort Myers Legacy Harbor Monitor - 16 239-461-0775

4 Monday 26th Fort Myers Legacy Harbor Working - 12 239-461-0775

5 Tuesday 27th Marco Island Marco Island Yacht Club Mon 16/Work 11 239-394-0199

6 Wednesday 28th Key West Galleon 16 305-292-1292

7 Thursday 29th Key West Galleon 16 305-292-1292

8 Friday 30th Marathon Captain Pips or Blackfin 305-743-4403/305-743-2393

9 Saturday 31st Marathon Captain Pips or Blackfin 305-743-4403/305-743-2393

10 Sunday 1st Islamorada Postcard Inn Holiday Isle Mon 16/Work 73 305-664-2321

11 Monday 2nd Islamorada Postcard Inn Holiday Isle Mon 16/Work 73 305-664-2321

12 Tuesday 3rd Adjustable Day Open

13 Wednesday 4th Key Largo Pilot House Marina 16 305-393-3638

14 Thursday 5th Key Largo Pilot House Marina 16 305-393-3638

15 Friday 6th Fort Lauderdale Lauderdale Yacht Club Mon 16/Work 69 954-524-5500

16 Saturday 7th Stuart Pirates Cove 68 772-287-2500

I would love to do this with you. I just don't think there is any way I can be gone that long. I would need an extra day on each side to tow down. Keep us posted. You never know!

The Friday we leave and the last stop on Saturday are pretty close together. You could use those two days to trailer down and back if needed?? Where would you be towing from? Pic looks like an open bow, but can't tell. Most all places have rooms available that we are staying at, so that could be helpful. We have limited running days to 65-80 miles, so I think distance should be ok for you between fuel stops. Would love to see some others join, I think it's gonna be a great trip! Let me know if things work out for you.

The Friday we leave and the last stop on Saturday are pretty close together. You could use those two days to trailer down and back if needed?? Where would you be towing from? Pic looks like an open bow, but can't tell. Most all places have rooms available that we are staying at, so that could be helpful. We have limited running days to 65-80 miles, so I think distance should be ok for you between fuel stops. Would love to see some others join, I think it's gonna be a great trip! Let me know if things work out for you.

Closed bow. You can tell from my signature that I have Signature. Mine is the 280 which is just under 31' long. It would be great for the trip. I would tow from Mobile AL area. It would prob be about a 10 hour tow. I have a trailer and a Ram 2500 to pull her down. Hmmm...

Haha, didn't see the signature in your signature! Very tempting I know, for anyone who can't do the full 16 day trip it would evn be a great time to do the crossing until Fort Meyers or Marco Island and then turn around and go back. We are passing a few very nice places to stay that are not on our list, wish we had more time to do them all! Keep me posted and if your seriously considering, send me a PM and I'll send you my cell number if you have any questions.

Just a quick update in case anyone is considering! The trip is still a go, we are heading out from Merritt Island Friday the 23rd. We have a few changes to the itenerary I posts previously and will list the updates tomorrow once they are finalized! Water levels on the Okeechobee are pretty good and as of now and the locks are opening on demand. navigational depth is hovering at 7' and lake level is above 12'. If anyone is still interested in joining for the trip or partial legs of the trip, just let me know!

Ok, Just in case anyone may be following this or might want to stop by if were in your neigborhood, this is the latest schedule which we just completed all reservations for:

Night Day Location Marina Name 1 Friday 23rd Saint Lucie Sunset Bay Marina 2 Saturday 24th Clewiston Roland Martin 3 Sunday 25th Fort Myers Legacy Harbor 4 Monday 26th Marco Island M.I. Yacht Club 5 Tuesday 27th Key West Galleon 6 Wednesday 28th Key West Galleon 7 Thursday 29th Marathon Burdines Waterfront 8 Friday 30th Marathon Burdines Waterfront 9 Saturday 31st Marathon Burdines Waterfront 10 Sunday 1st Islamorada Holiday Isle 11 Monday 2nd Islamorada Holiday Isle 12 Tuesday 3rd Key Largo Pilot House Marina 13 Wednesday 4th Key Largo Pilot House Marina 14 Thursday 5th OPEN DAY 15 Friday 6th Fort Lauderdale F.L. Yacht Club 16 Saturday 7th Stuart Pirates Cove

Sorry its hard to read, apparently aside from uploading pictures, you cant upload an excel sheet either, lol!

I soooo wish i was going... Just can't make it happen. Please keep us posted and give us lots of pics!

Pics will be coming, just got back home! Had a great trip, found some great Marinas and watering holes along the way! 917 miles in total that went smooth aside from a rough day from Ft. Myers to Key West. I think my next trip will be to head north into the Carolinas!

Hey. I just found this topic and would love to see pics. Im in Miami and it would have been cool to meet up with y'all as you were passing by. Aside from the pics, how was your plan? Do you have another list of places you went and things you did?