harleybob

Fuel pump whine

15 posts in this topic

Hi all This is a 2011 246 ssi. With a volvo penta 5.7 GI 300 hp fuel injected. The boat has only 11 hours. I am hearing a whine comming from the fuel pump. local mechanic says common problem. He says as long as the boat is running fine wich it is not to worry. All imput greatlly appreciated. Thankyou. bob.

I think the key word there is "PROBLEM" with a 2011 boat and 11 hours there shouldn't be any PROBLEMS. Might just be me but you don't spend that kind of money to settle on anything. I would make them replace the fuel pump. :Twocents:

This is a new boat under warrantee?

When you say local mechanic, are you referring to Chaparral dealer/service folks who are perfoming the warrantee service, or local mechanic (marine?) nearby?

Fuel pump "whine" is a loose term. Fuel pump will make normal noise (whine), but certain whines are not normal and mean problems.

You don't want to have it fail on the lake, and it appears you are trying to find out what it is and have it taken care of.

Hopefully the mechanic is certified and has experience.

:drinkinBuddies:

My fuel pump inlet was dirty, full of crud. My fault because I used the wrong filter on the tune up before. I held the pump upside down and sparyed carb cleaner into it until I could see the brass screen again,put it all back together again and no more whine. Not sure what to say on a new boat with only 11 hours. I think I would want a new pump and a new filter, then go from there. Fuel pump noise is fine...a whine, not so much!

I have a soft whine when mine is running, but yours sounds like it's pretty loud and mine is also 6 years old. You should not have to deal with it until it fails on you while your out with the family.

FWIW ... from a Volvo Penta bulletin posted recently somewhere on this forum:

Noisy Pumps

Electric pumps will often cavitate and become

noisy if they are starving for fuel.

Before replacing low-pressure pumps (carbureted

engines, fuel cells) check the fuel supply, condition

of the fuel hose, anti-siphon valve

operation, and fuel filter before replacing the fuel

pump.

A noisy high-pressure pump on a fuel cell may indicate

a low fuel level in the reservoir. Check the

fuel supply and low pressure pump operation to

be sure the reservoir is receiving the correct volume

of fuel.

This information may prevent needless pump replacement

and reduce the down time for the boat

owner.

If this is a new sound, meaning hours 1-10 you didn't have it, then call your local chap dealer and tell them you will be dropping it off for a replacement pump. I wouldn't phrase it in the form of a question. Make it a statement.

I had to replace a Volvo fuel pump at less than 50 hours. I lost the low pressure side pf the pump, and I could tell it was on the way out; not just because the pump developed a rather loud whine, but the engine performance was affected (lost performance over 2500-3000 RPM).

I would have your dealer replace the pump under warranty.

+1 ... whatever the problem is, it's most likely a warranty issue ---> see the dealer.

Thanks everyone for all the replys. I found a volvo penta dealer who is aware of this problem. he tells me after 2 updates with these fuel pumps they should be ok. He tells me the earlier fuel pumps after being replaced started the whining sound after about 10 hours. I will reply with updates after repair. Thanks again Bob.

Hi all This is a 2011 246 ssi. With a volvo penta 5.7 GI 300 hp fuel injected. The boat has only 11 hours. I am hearing a whine comming from the fuel pump. local mechanic says common problem. He says as long as the boat is running fine wich it is not to worry. All imput greatlly appreciated. Thankyou. bob.

Before you go off replacing anything verify your starting procedure.

1. Turn the key to the on position without starting the engine.

2. You will hear two beeps

3. Listen for the pump, it will whine for about 5 seconds while it primes itself. This will prevent the pump from starving for fuel while it’s running.

4. Once it stops whining you can start the engine.

If you still have a problem then it’s time to see the dealer.

I have a 2005 5.7 GXI-F, 510 hours .high pressure fuel pump whining & noticed a strong gas smell out of the exhaust runs rich at idle. Starts fine cold and seams to run good and smooth. But hard to start warmed up sometimes.  Burned up the high psi pump and replaced it & fuel filter. Installed  a new pump & the noise came back in 10 minutes  & I shut it down. Checked the fuel rail psi with the key turn to on position an it read 60 psi. Started the engine and read 60-70 psi for 10 minutes then it drop down to 40 psi and pump started to whine so I shut it down to cool off. Started up an check the low psi pump and reads 5-8 psi then I bumped the plug to the low pump and lost psi and noise started, pushed on the plug and psi was back and noise was gone. Thought good just a bad connection.  fix the connections started her up and 10 minutes later the noise was back. Started it up agin & checked the low pump it held a steady 5-8 psi even when the high pump started to whine. Checked the rail psi did the same as before 60 psi then drops to 40 and starts to whine. Either straining to get fuel to the high pump or I think it's getting air in the line from the pick up tube in the tank Possibly? Also noticed when it was hard to start I had to cycle the pumps and few times to prime the pumps. Another reason I suspect air in the line or could be faulty check valve. But the check valve don't explain the pump whining and rail psi to drop ? I'm going to start at the beginning of the mess. Check the pick up tube for air leaking in and replace the check valve. Then check the screens mentioned on here. Follow up in a few days and let you all know what I find and I'm  open to any suggestions 

I don't mess with too many Volvo's but the two that had noisy fuel pumps got towed home shortly after the noise showed up. Both warranty.  W