Have XDP's, what is best replacement drive?

Do you know that your XDP drive are going to have problems? Could be alot of cash out of pocket on getting a new power plant and maybe not even needed. Not every XDP is bad..

EVERY XDP is defective.... some just take longer to be noticed by their owners due to low usage and a few other factors that are allowing Volvo to squeak by...

EVERY XDP is defective.... some just take longer to be noticed by their owners due to low usage and a few other factors that are allowing Volvo to squeak by...

100% true! Even XDP's being used in fresh water are at risk for corrosion and failure. When mine came off my fresh water boat, everything metal was rusted including the core of the port drive. Total POS.

100% true! Even XDP's being used in fresh water are at risk for corrosion and failure. When mine came off my fresh water boat, everything metal was rusted including the core of the port drive. Total POS.

so, how do you rate your DPS drives? I have tried looking around on boattest to see what others have said. has volvo corrected their XDP issues w/ the DPS (customer service aside)

I have been following all the XDP threads for some time and have a very good understanding of the issues... (personalexperience) I continue to read about parts availability - is it just the transom plates and full drive assemblies that are no longer available or is it all/most parts - specifically u-joints...

I somewhat assumed that the u-joints may be "universal" across product lines...

THX

I have been following all the XDP threads for some time and have a very good understanding of the issues... (personalexperience) I continue to read about parts availability - is it just the transom plates and full drive assemblies that are no longer available or is it all/most parts - specifically u-joints...

I somewhat assumed that the u-joints may be "universal" across product lines...

THX

My understanding is that there are no more full drive assemblies, and no more transom plates available. Can't speak for replacement parts such as u-joints, etc, but I'm sure that they have bellows available, as this is a service item.

Hi, shortly after purchasing a 2004 Signature 290 with 5.0 GXi's and XDP drives, I found these forums and realized I probably made a mistake. The boat had no problems at sea trial, but one engine just started whining intermittently. I plan to have this boat for a long time, so my question is: if I decide to invest in replacement drives, what is the best possible drive for the money? I am on the (freshwater) CA delta, but would like to use the boat in (saltwater) SF Bay as well. I am looking for the "bulletproof" option, as I don't want to make the same mistake twice! Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.

My first Chap was the 280 with volvo 5.0 and SX drives. Had lots of trouble with engine electronics and corrosion on drives. I traded up to a 330 with inboards with Mercs and never looked back. IMO look for another boat. FYO- Merc has been good with warrenty work. Good luck.

so, how do you rate your DPS drives? I have tried looking around on boattest to see what others have said. has volvo corrected their XDP issues w/ the DPS (customer service aside)

Its only been a few months, but no issues so far. The drive performs better than the XDP did, runs quieter, and seems to allow the boat to be more agile. I have also been seeing better fuel economy. This could be because the boat can get to a better plane now that the drives have more range of movement (not worried as much about torn bellow)? Also, noticed I don't use my trim tabs as much as I did before. Again, attribute this to the movement of the drives.

Overall, we are happy with the DPS drives. My only "complaint" is that I wish you could check the fluid without having to pull the boat.

Its only been a few months, but no issues so far. The drive performs better than the XDP did, runs quieter, and seems to allow the boat to be more agile. I have also been seeing better fuel economy. This could be because the boat can get to a better plane now that the drives have more range of movement (not worried as much about torn bellow)? Also, noticed I don't use my trim tabs as much as I did before. Again, attribute this to the movement of the drives.

Overall, we are happy with the DPS drives. My only "complaint" is that I wish you could check the fluid without having to pull the boat.

I have experienced pretty much the same things that Kris has with my Ocean X drives. Boat performs much better, rides smoother, and I also noticed that I hardly use the trim tabs anymore.

It's only been a couple of months for me too, but so far, so good....and I too wish there was a better way to check the drive fluid. It's a trade off That I don't mind making...anything was better than the XDP's.........

I have experienced pretty much the same things that Kris has with my Ocean X drives. Boat performs much better, rides smoother, and I also noticed that I hardly use the trim tabs anymore.

It's only been a couple of months for me too, but so far, so good....and I too wish there was a better way to check the drive fluid. It's a trade off That I don't mind making...anything was better than the XDP's.........

i thought the ocean x drives have drive level sensors, its not the same as the merc reservoir but a low level alarm if they work will tell you the same thing, YES/NO?

i thought the ocean x drives have drive level sensors, its not the same as the merc reservoir but a low level alarm if they work will tell you the same thing, YES/NO?

On the new ones, they do have the sensors. On the retrofit, not an option. We don't have the wiring/computer or somthing to that effect. Not super excited about it. New DPS setups don't have the issue.

Sensors only work on 2007 and newer Volvo engines/ECU.

Hi Kris,

I was recently told that I could install DPS-M drives and transom plate without pulling the engines. Is that true? If so, what is the difference between DPS-A and DPS-M?

Hi Kris,

I was recently told that I could install DPS-M drives and transom plate without pulling the engines. Is that true? If so, what is the difference between DPS-A and DPS-M?

Doesn't matter what the model Volvo drive is, you have to pull the engines to get to the inner transom plate and exhaust y-pipes for the drive change.

Never heard of a DPS-M, may be the newest model of the DPS drive....

+1 to both of Jeff's comments. Not heard of the DPS-M, and I think you're pulling the engines just to have enough room to effectivly get to the transom of the boat. With our 330, and its massive engine room, there isn't enough room to just slide the engines around. Can't imagine there is more room in the 290 engine room (although, I could be wrong). End of the day, I imagine even if there is room to just "slide" the engines around, it would still be more labor because of the time to move around the engines that would at some point be in the way.

ON A 37' THE ENGINES ARE TUCKED UNDER THE TRANSOM AND WOULD HAVE TO BE MOVED FOREWARD 3' BEFORE YOU COULD LIFT UP. WOULD INVOLVE BUILDING A CRANE ATTACHMENT THAT WOULD ALLOW TO REACH IN AND BOLT TO ENGINE. YOUR RIGHT, WE HAVE A LOT OF ROOM TO TURN THEM QUITE A BIT TO THE SIDE AND ARE ABLE TO WORK THEN. SAVED A LOT OF TIME BY DOING THIS.

MAY4011.jpg

• 9 years later...