Mike Olson

Upholstery Problem

Hi guys,

I went to the lake today to install my new mooring cover. The boat has been sitting since October on a lift in a covered dock with the snap-in bow and cockpit covers installed. When i pulled the cockpit cover I was greeted by the staining in the attached picture. The stains are isolated to the area where the cockpit cover rests on the very back of the boat. I tried to clean this with 303 cleaner and also a magic eraser but nothing would touch it. Anybody know what would have caused this staining? Anybody have any ideas about what might clean it? Thanks in advance for your help.

post-12757-1321820000_thumb.jpg

Mike,

Use some Fast Orange hand cleaner with a microfiber cloth or other soft towel. You can get a small bottle from AutoZone if you don't have any. I've had similar stains before on our '08 Sunesta upholstery and used Fast Orange with medium pressure and it cleans great. The grit really gets the stain off your uphostery. Good luck. Not to be too critical but those poles in the bags on your swimdeck should be used in the future to keep the cover off the upholstery and it will save time next year when the covers are removed. May not clear the covers from touch but should reduce the amount of contact.

Rod

Do not take any drastic measures and use harsh cleaners/methods yet. These spots seem to be a bit of a mystery ... read more about something similar in the post linked below. Meantime, take protective measures, the problem might go away when problem areas are exposed to sun.

Vinyl seats turning purple

Seats change color after being left in covered boat

http://forum.chaparralboats.com/index.php?showtopic=16417

+1 on what Richard W says, I had left a wet tube in my old boat with a cover on it for a prolong period, when I removed the tube where it had been resting against my teal colored seat the vinyl had turned almost white I tried cleaners and conditioner but nothing helped. After the seat had sat for a few days and fully dried the color cam back to original. I would suggest leaving it with the mooring cover off for a few days and see what happens.

Yep, VERY familiar. We had the same problem with our 05 256 SSi. Our boat has a black cover, and from I've read on here, it seems to be thermal heat buildup underneath the black cover. Our cover has a white lining and it is still white, so we know it wasn't color transfer. We ended up putting new skins on all seats because the stains would just keep coming back. The boat now sits inside enclosed storage, not outside. I wish our cover wasn't black.

Interesting. My first impression when I saw this was that it reminded me of the old days when we used to have those thermal fax machines, and the paper would get dark if it was exposed to heat.

Interesting. My first impression when I saw this was that it reminded me of the old days when we used to have those thermal fax machines, and the paper would get dark if it was exposed to heat.

Interesting theory. It has to be something in the vinyl that's "cooking" in the heat. What state are you in? Has it been unusually hot, like here in Texas?

Yep, VERY familiar. We had the same problem with our 05 256 SSi. Our boat has a black cover, and from I've read on here, it seems to be thermal heat buildup underneath the black cover. Our cover has a white lining and it is still white, so we know it wasn't color transfer. We ended up putting new skins on all seats because the stains would just keep coming back. The boat now sits inside enclosed storage, not outside. I wish our cover wasn't black.

What type of cover do you use? I just put a black cover on my bowrider, and hope to not have issues with it "cooking" the vinyl. Was it because the vinyl couldn't breathe with the black cover?

What type of cover do you use?

FWIW ... I did not have any issues with a black cockpit cover touching the vinyl during this extremely hot (even in Canada) summer this year. I left a covered boat for a month in the sun, then I read the previous topic on this subject, and bit my nails for a few weeks. When I came back after a month and inspected ... no sign of any discoloration.

The discoloration seems random but I am sure it is not ... must be related to some chemical or microbes trapped in vinyl, or adhesive used to bond the layers, or to some strange material type/composition used in the process. The problem does not seem to be related to the color of the cover per se, rather to the environment created under the cover.

I've read older reports on other forums suggesting that it is not Chap only thing, and nobody was able to pinpoint the exact cause of discoloration. There were also reports that vinyl top and vinyl backing manufacturers were pointing finger at each other ... who knows, the cause could be a cheaper adhesive used, or some impure chemicals used in the process.

What type of cover do you use? I just put a black cover on my bowrider, and hope to not have issues with it "cooking" the vinyl. Was it because the vinyl couldn't breathe with the black cover?

The original cover to the boat was a manufacturer snap-on. We bought the boat in May and the cockpit cover had been cut by the previous owner, because it was discoloring the back motorbox seat cushions. That cover was black with a white vinyl lining where it touches the seats. We had a new one made (also black) but it has a white felt lining where it touches the seats. The seats still get so hot where the cover rests on them if it is covered in the sun, that you literally cannot touch them.

The boat originally came from Florida and sat on a lift, so I hope that it's cumulative damage and not something that happens quickly, since we just spent major $$$ putting new skins on.

Our boat has been in the shop for a month (sitting outside) and even though it's not over 100 degrees anymore, I'll be biting my nails when we uncover it for the first time.

I found that my neoprene life jackets placed where the vinyl contacts the sunbrella cover does a good job of the transfer of color. I've tried towels but they seem to be to thin, but then I've have not tried to fold them up to make them a couple inches thick.

Hi guys,

I went to the lake today to install my new mooring cover. The boat has been sitting since October on a lift in a covered dock with the snap-in bow and cockpit covers installed. When i pulled the cockpit cover I was greeted by the staining in the attached picture. The stains are isolated to the area where the cockpit cover rests on the very back of the boat. I tried to clean this with 303 cleaner and also a magic eraser but nothing would touch it. Anybody know what would have caused this staining? Anybody have any ideas about what might clean it? Thanks in advance for your help.

I had the same problem but mine was deep mold. It might sound harse but I clean mine with paint thinner, rinsed with soap n water and treated with armour all. Try a small spot.

FWIW ...I've read older reports on other forums suggesting that it is not Chap only thing, and nobody was able to pinpoint the exact cause of discoloration. There were also reports that vinyl top and vinyl backing manufacturers were pointing finger at each other ... who knows, the cause could be a cheaper adhesive used, or some impure chemicals used in the process.

I have read this along with other threads here on the topic and I suspect it is a Chap problem. My Sea Ray 320 with Black Sunbrella curtains showed none of this vinyl discoloration anywhere on the boat. What I did get was some black color bleed onto the gelcoat directly underneath the canvas. The Chap vinyl appears to be heavier than what's on my SR and has a different feel from what I saw at my Chap dealer where I ordered the boat. This why I suspect its the materials used. Granted, Lake Michigan does not have the intense sun as TX, AZ or NV but it does get hot. Also SR owners in those states on the CSR forum have not reported discoloration problems as what has been posted here.

Wow lol I would never have the "guts" to use paint thinner on my seats!

I was ready to buy a new back seat and an apholstry guy said lets try this and he put a little turpintine on a rag and sure enough it got what I thought was worn out from rubbing on canvas to look like new again. It musta been inbedded black mold. But I've use it since on spots that wouldn't come off.

I would be worried it's not taking stain out but removing a little of the vinyl and protective covering where the stain is. I would have to think over time this would ruin the seats. Either eats them away and/or dries them out and causes them to crack. Hey if it works and you’re comfortable using it go for it. Like you said you were going to buy a new seat, so in that case what did you have to lose? I just wouldn’t be shocked to see you back on here with a WARNING to everyone that it ruined your seats. It would without a doubt be my last line of defense lol.