267Bob

Dealer Prep on New Boats - What Show I Expect?

Got my build date of January 5. So with the thousands that I am paying for Dealer Prep and freight what should I be getting for all that consideration besides prop installation and removal of factory wrappings? I've never purchased a brand new boat before is why I am asking. Sorry for the stupid typo in the title.

Edited by 267Bob

Here is what we do.

-Remove factory cover and protective measures.

-Fully inspect the boat from bow to stern inside and out. Make sure covers fit, bimini top operates properly, and all curtains fit.

-Fix any factory defects that we find

-Install battery(s) and fire extinguishers. Put in docking lines.

-Install props.

-Check all systems and fluids.

-Fill with fuel and water. Charge pottie.

-Warranty register boat and engine package.

-Check for recalls and complete if necessary.

-Water test boat, check for leaks, performance, and correct propping.

-Fully detail boat.

-When boat is picked up we have a delivery Capitan that goes through the boat on the water with the customer. He shows how everything works. Talks about boating laws and boat driving. He answers all questions and we address issues with the boat.

Not sure about all dealers, but Cecil Marine takes you out for a sea trial to introduce you to your new boat, test everything, answer any questions, etc. That is a great benefit. They even take you out in March in ski jackets and hats!!! :haha-7383:

Not sure about all dealers, but Cecil Marine takes you out for a sea trial to introduce you to your new boat, test everything, answer any questions, etc. That is a great benefit. They even take you out in March in ski jackets and hats!!! :haha-7383:

We actually test drove ours in January down in N.C. on lake norman. It snowed that night before we went out. Temp was in the low 40's that day.

Here is what we do.

-Remove factory cover and protective measures.

-Fully inspect the boat from bow to stern inside and out. Make sure covers fit, bimini top operates properly, and all curtains fit.

-Fix any factory defects that we find

-Install battery(s) and fire extinguishers. Put in docking lines.

-Install props.

-Check all systems and fluids.

-Fill with fuel and water. Charge pottie.

-Warranty register boat and engine package.

-Check for recalls and complete if necessary.

-Water test boat, check for leaks, performance, and correct propping.

-Fully detail boat.

-When boat is picked up we have a delivery Capitan that goes through the boat on the water with the customer. He shows how everything works. Talks about boating laws and boat driving. He answers all questions and we address issues with the boat.

Does your detailing include waxing/polishing the gelcoat?

Yes we put a coat of wax on them. It is all done when the boat is first unwrapped. Fully cleaning the boat at this time really helps to find any chips or scratches in the boat from production. Waxing the boat at this time makes washing it a lot easier when we go to the water with it. The only time we polish/buff on the boat is if the shipping cover flaps and causes a dull spot.

Yes we put a coat of wax on them. It is all done when the boat is first unwrapped. Fully cleaning the boat at this time really helps to find any chips or scratches in the boat from production. Waxing the boat at this time makes washing it a lot easier when we go to the water with it. The only time we polish/buff on the boat is if the shipping cover flaps and causes a dull spot.

Thanks for your replies and hopefully my dealer will provide the same level service.

Bob, Aren't you dealing with Mark at Munson Marine? This is what I was told about delivery:

The boat comes with 6 PFD’s, 4 - 20’ premium lines, 2 oversized fenders with lines, throw device, first aid kit, fuel, professional Marine detail and on water delivery, we also include the original Mylar / cloth shipping cover for additional protection.

My take on that is a perfectly clean boat with a full tank of gas and all the safety goodies. Plus a full explination of all functions and test drive.

Bob, Aren't you dealing with Mark at Munson Marine? This is what I was told about delivery:

My take on that is a perfectly clean boat with a full tank of gas and all the safety goodies. Plus a full explination of all functions and test drive.

It was the detailing that he never mentioned and I am hoping they will do a complete systems check as kawman mentioned in his post. For Munson to do an on the water test before delivering the boat to me on Lake Michigan they would have to haul it over to Lake Pistakee which is a few miles away.

I spoke with Pete in parts and Mark on different occasions and they both said they water test new boats before delivery. I took it as they had a body of water right near the dealership and they take the boat out and run it around and check everything before they drive it to the owner and do an on water delivery. I even recall them saying the boat would have 1 hour on it at delivery. It makes sense because what dealer wants to find 10 things wrong on delivery when they can work the bugs out a few days prior.

I agree with the posts above, for me they will bottom paint so they will dip it to get the correct water line and then prior to my delivery go over the boat. I will spend a day with their mech. going over the boat at my slip, he will show me all features and how to operate. if i find anything they missed they told me they will come to me to fix. I hope they find everything but like all things complicated there is always something and I expect during next summer I will probably have to call them, hopefully not just being realistic.

I agree with the posts above, for me they will bottom paint so they will dip it to get the correct water line and then prior to my delivery go over the boat. I will spend a day with their mech. going over the boat at my slip, he will show me all features and how to operate. if i find anything they missed they told me they will come to me to fix. I hope they find everything but like all things complicated there is always something and I expect during next summer I will probably have to call them, hopefully not just being realistic.

I'm also going to have mine bottom painted but since mine will have a black bottom and black paint, I'm not sure if they will need to dip it first to find the water line like they need to for your white bottom paint.

To me it seems that everything mentioned here besides the bottom painting should be included with the delivery of the boat and should not be an extra charge. You shouldn't have to pay a dealer to install, correct, fix, repair, wash, wax, or anything other than freight.

To me it seems that everything mentioned here besides the bottom painting should be included with the delivery of the boat and should not be an extra charge. You shouldn't have to pay a dealer to install, correct, fix, repair, wash, wax, or anything other than freight.

N/C -Remove factory cover and protective measures.

N/C -Fully inspect the boat from bow to stern inside and out. Make sure covers fit, bimini top operates properly, and all curtains fit.

N/C -Fix any factory defects that we find

N/C -Install battery(s) and fire extinguishers. Put in docking lines.

N/C -Install props.

N/C -Check all systems and fluids.

CHARGE for fuel -Fill with fuel and water. Charge pottie.

N/C -Warranty register boat and engine package.

N/C -Check for recalls and complete if necessary.

N/C -Water test boat, check for leaks, performance, and correct propping.

N/C -Fully detail boat.

COURTESY -When boat is picked up we have a delivery Capitan that goes through the boat on the water with the customer. He shows how everything works. Talks about boating laws and boat driving. He answers all questions and we address issues with the boat.

The way I see it there is only one item that should be paid by customer, a tank full of gas, and one item that is clearly a dealership courtesy ... boat orientation at delivery. Most anything else amounts to fixes, installation of required accessories, prep and cleanup, and making sure that a boat is seaworthy ... these line items should be taken care by the factory and/or dealership.

BTW, on my first power boat purchase I would not mind paying for a meaningful boat orientation session conducted by a qualified person.

If you look on Chaparral's boat builder you will see a line entry for freight and dealer prep, and additionaly the trailer is also a seprate line item. we opted for the dual battery option, all the gave us was the battery switch and wiring. We were charged 100 deer for for the second battery by the dealership.The boats are shipped without batterys installed form the factory....they are dealer installed.

Our freight and dealer prep charge was about 1295 deer

Dave