Sign in to follow this  
stringfellow

Signature 290

Please tell us you are kidding. Your best path to see if that specific boat may have issues is the get a professional survey. It will be worth the cost.

We have a 2004 290 and love it but like Phil said you need to have a professional survey conducted before purchase.

Sorry, I probably should have elaborated. I did have the boat professionaly surveyed. The boat came back fine, with the exception of:

"There was some moisture issues in the swim platform and possibly in the hull."

From reading the forum, I know the hull can give off higher elevated moisture readings due to the material Chaparral uses when building the hull. The moisture issue in the swim platform appears to be the bolts just need to be removed, apply new sealant, and re-install. The overall condition of the boat is very good, and was looking for overall opinion of current owners.

I don't know about your 95, but I've had my Sig 280 since June with no problems. I'm sure you'll love it. Post pictures when you can. Welcome to the forum.

The possibility of moisture in the hull would disturb me. That alone would encourage me to walk and look elsewhere. But that's just me. BTW...I love my 2005 Chap 290!

What issues with the Chap hull would you be referring to? I had my Chap surveyed, and there were no moisture issues. Agree with John...unless I could identify the issue, and an easy fix, I would walk. Pulling a 290 isn't a quick job unless you have a trailer and an area to store the boat near the dock while you work on it. Depending on where you live, and how the boat is equipped, you may have to get permits, or pay someone some money to pull it.

The possibility of moisture in the hull would disturb me. That alone would encourage me to walk and look elsewhere. But that's just me. BTW...I love my 2005 Chap 290!

^ ^

This

There are plenty of other boats to choose from.