cj-orca

Cayman 2012

28 posts in this topic

For those that dont know....

the Lionfish (South Pacific) ... has found its way in to the Caribbean waters and is reaking HAVOC on the local fish populations (grazers) and reef (algae & plant matter smothering reefs)...

and are therefore an evasive species... which is now being culled out by Divers in Cayman....

405943_10151120353120691_605015690_22617305_1113435092_n.jpg

387575_10151120105785691_605015690_22616161_542816181_n.jpg

While they are beautiful....

they are the only fish that is being speared (by Instructors with permits ONLY) in the Caymans...

spearing.jpg

speared.jpg

BasketofLionfish.jpg

They are however... VERY tasty !!

408565_10151120290250691_605015690_22617048_713242403_n.jpg

cookedLionfish.jpg

WOW... These are great. You should move these out of Western Canada and put them in the general area so all can see.

Were exactly did you go? We took a Thanksgiving trip to Key West and The Bahamas to dive. We took a few pics but they did not turn out very good. I just used a cheep underwater camera. I guess I need to invest in a better quality one.

Next trip you go on give us a heads up. It would be great to dive with some fellow Chap forum members! :beer-7687-1:

CJ I am very jealous! The closest I have managed to get to diving in the past few months was in 42 degree pool water. I wanted to try out a new DUI drysuit, so I jumped in my pool and cleaned up the leaves that snuck under the cover. Here's to wishing I was down there with you two enjoying a cold Cervesa on the beach. Keep on spearing those Lion Fish, they are becoming a menace all over the place. Are they as good eating as I have heard they are?

beer-7687-1.gif

IMG_1052.jpg

Just awesome sights under and above the water ... thanks for sharing.

CJ I am very jealous! The closest I have managed to get to diving in the past few months was in 42 degree pool water. I wanted to try out a new DUI drysuit, so I jumped in my pool and cleaned up the leaves that snuck under the cover. Here's to wishing I was down there with you two enjoying a cold Cervesa on the beach. Keep on spearing those Lion Fish, they are becoming a menace all over the place. Are they as good eating as I have heard they are?

beer-7687-1.gif

IMG_1052.jpg

They are VERY tasty.... little olive oil, fresh garlic, white wine....cracked black pepper .... YUMMY !!!

They are VERY tasty.... little olive oil, fresh garlic, white wine....cracked black pepper .... YUMMY !!!

So how do you clean them, looks like it would be a sticky problem.

So how do you clean them, looks like it would be a sticky problem.

with a pair of shears, remove the dorsal spines, & pectoral fins/spines.... (very poisionous)...

then fillet as any other fish...

We were on Grand Cayman for 17 days :)

17 DAYS!! We never got to do more than 7 at a time.

I'm always jealous of your pictures...looks like a great time. What kind of camera were you using by the way? Very clear and bright.

I'm always jealous of your pictures...looks like a great time. What kind of camera were you using by the way? Very clear and bright.

its just a little Canon Sure-shot - its about 7 or 8 yrs old - but the hubby found an u/w housing for it - we then added a base/arm/strob to it (Sea & Sea YS-70 I believe)...

works great :)

its just a little Canon Sure-shot - its about 7 or 8 yrs old - but the hubby found an u/w housing for it - we then added a base/arm/strob to it (Sea & Sea YS-70 I believe)...

works great :)

The sunset picture with the anchor looks like a Thomas Kinkade painting. Very cool lighting effects.

The sunset picture with the anchor looks like a Thomas Kinkade painting. Very cool lighting effects.

That pic was actually taken with my iPhone - HD photo app :)

CJ

What kind of permits do u need to need to dive fish for lobsters. Just a fishing license? Looks like a ton of fun