13utchy

204ssi vs 210ssi

25 posts in this topic

I'm looking at the 2005 model year.

The 204 is 200 lbs heavier, an 8'4.5" beam (vs 8' 3" on the 210) & holds a few more gallons of gas.

The 210 of course is slightly longer. Am I missing anything or is that it really? Oh ... the 204 also has the removable seat for a walk-thru.

emot-wookie.gif

I have a 2006 204SSi and I did look at both, I actually like the 204 better even though it is a few inches shorter. The wide beam makes all the difference in the world. Also depends on motor choice, that would drive my decision more than anything.

If memory serves me correctly, the 204 only has one interior layout. The 210 can be had in either standard seating(2 seats opposite the engine doghouse and small sun pad) or sport seating(full rear bench and large sun pad). And in sport seating configuration, you have a removable cushion for center walk thru. Both are great little boats that feel bigger than they are, I'm slightly biased to the 210, love ours.

One bit of advice, get a MPI if you can, much better in the long run.

Welcome to the forum :beer-7687-1: We have a 215 (closed bow version of the 210) It is an awesome boat. The 210 will be a little better for the rough stuff than the 204, but both are great boats. If you are lake boating and doing water sports, either will be fine :boating:

Really, I think I was just trying to get some reassurance here! I bought an '05 204ssi this past Friday with a 5.0 Volvo GL.

After browsing ads throughout VT/NY/NH/MA this past Autumn/Winter, I see an ad for a '05 210ssi a mere day later on craigslist. (Why I even checked is beyond me!) I don't know the seating configuration however & only that it's a 5.0 Volvo (unsure if Chaparral even offered the GXI ... think it may have only been the Merc w- multiport fuel injection?) ... But the 210 has only around 70 hours vs 160 hours on the 204.

ASKING price was only $500 more than what I paid for mine; so just a bit of buyers remorse going on. Does the extra 1 1/2" beam make much of a difference? The extra weight I'm sure is good for stability, but I can take care of that after a Summer of beer & BBQ! :oregonian_winesmiley: Stability & ride is key of course; Lake Champlain can get pretty choppy.

I'm still psyched though .... My first boat & everything I've read is that Chaparral are amongst the elite as far as runabouts are concerned.

emot-wookie.gif

Basically the same boat. Very popular.

I had an '05 210 for two years. We loved the boat just wanted an upgrade in size. Amazing space and ride quality for that size boat. There are times I think it rode smoother than our 246.

In 05 a VP GXI was offered. Small block fuel injected V8. Sounds like you may have the carb'd model. Fuel economy and top end may be a little less with carb'd. Still very nice!

Congrats!

We love our Little 204. Hauls around a family of 4 and with the 350 Mag it has plenty of go. For our first boat it was a great choice.

Tough to pick between the 2 hulls. The 210 SSi used the same basic hull as the 2130/2135 SS and 210/215 SS; in production since the mid-90's. A simply great handling hull, that offers more bow room and cockpit space than the 204 SSi. Did not come in a true walk-thru transom version though like the 204. With the same power as the 204 SSi, the 210 planed out a little faster, and with less bow rise.

The 204 SSi shared the same essential hull as the 2000-2002 196 SSi, and 2003 200 SSi. A slight change in the hull design I believe in 2006 on the 204 allowed it to plane a little faster, with a little less bow rise.

For us at least, the 204 SSi outsold the 210 SSi by a 2:1 ratio. As I say, tough to pick between the 2 boats. On the 210 SSi, I preferred the Sport seating.

Both hulls worked well with 4.3L MPI power, but V8 MPI power was preferable. Also if the boat doesn't have the optional extended swim platform, this would be a great upgrade - money well spent IMO.

Really, I think I was just trying to get some reassurance here! I bought an '05 204ssi this past Friday with a 5.0 Volvo GL.

After browsing ads throughout VT/NY/NH/MA this past Autumn/Winter, I see an ad for a '05 210ssi a mere day later on craigslist. (Why I even checked is beyond me!) I don't know the seating configuration however & only that it's a 5.0 Volvo (unsure if Chaparral even offered the GXI ... think it may have only been the Merc w- multiport fuel injection?) ... But the 210 has only around 70 hours vs 160 hours on the 204.

ASKING price was only $500 more than what I paid for mine; so just a bit of buyers remorse going on. Does the extra 1 1/2" beam make much of a difference? The extra weight I'm sure is good for stability, but I can take care of that after a Summer of beer & BBQ! :oregonian_winesmiley: Stability & ride is key of course; Lake Champlain can get pretty choppy.

I'm still psyched though .... My first boat & everything I've read is that Chaparral are amongst the elite as far as runabouts are concerned.

emot-wookie.gif

As a first boat, the 205 is going to be great! The 5.0l should be plenty for watersports and cruising. If necessary, add some smart tabs. Sheps recommendation on the swim platform is a good one, especially if you have kids. Like many of us, you'll use it for a few years, figure out what you do and don't like about it, and then upgrade to a larger boat. Good news about a 7 year old boat is that its already taken the big value hits, so you should be in a good position when you go to the larger boat.

Enjoy it, and welcome to the club! :beer-7687-1:

Thank you folks! Yes, I do have the extended swim platform, which I thought was a really nice feature along w- the sport seating. It is only the VP GL (220 horse, carb.), but my goal set for a first boat was 21' & a V8, so pretty good on that. I couldn't break bank any further for a 1st boat & learning the ropes either.

Smart tabs. Looks like I have some more reading to do tonight!

http://www.nauticusinc.com/

220px-TML_Alternate_Logo.svg.png

GO LEAFS!!!!

emot-wookie.gif

I have a 210 SS, 4.3L MPI. I love the boat but wish it had a little more power. I would go with the V8 if possible. I had the boat one year, I will use it again this season then move up to a larger boat(Chaparral of course). I am a beginner(second year boating, first with Chap) and it has been a great boat to learn with. Not too big, not too small. I regularly take it out in the ocean, bay, and backbays around Southern New Jersey. We cruise around, fish, tube, it is a great all purpose boat. Very stable and very comfortable. I would think you could not make a bad choice with either boat. Good Luck.

Where's a good place to find an extended swim platform and what am I going to spend? I am looking at a 2004 210 SSI & the only thing I don't like about it is the stereo (no iPod connection, but an easy fix) and it doesn't have the swim platform.

Where's a good place to find an extended swim platform and what am I going to spend? I am looking at a 2004 210 SSI & the only thing I don't like about it is the stereo (no iPod connection, but an easy fix) and it doesn't have the swim platform.

When I bought one for my '02 186 SSi it was around 1300 deer shipped. I installed myself. I bought mine from a Chap dealer in Canada because their service guy is a Chap expert and helped my with questions during the install. Right Shepherd? :P

Hi folks,

I hope I just made a good decision in getting a boat. The last time I was on a boat was back in the early 70's when I was about 22 testing motors for OMC in Stuart, FL. Now I am a retired 62 yr old living in Cape Coral, Fl.

I just bought a used 2005 Chaparral 210 SSi with a Volvo-Penta 5.0 GXI-e. I did a test ride with a "surveyor" today and he said everything checked out good. I will need to do a few things to satisfy my OCD issues, such as having the two bucket seat redone and detailing out the boat. One dissatisfaction is I cannot figure out the radio. It powers on and seems to function properly, but I have no sound from any of the speakers. I bought it anyway and figured if I have to replace the stereo I would. Anyway, I am excited and nervous at the same time.

First boat I ever owned. Now if I could tow it with my Harley I would be all set...lol

Our 2002 186 SSI is the heavy 8' 6" wide hull with the 5.0L 220 hp carb. The boat will save your live if you screw up like I have a couple of times.

Fantastic stable hull . You are going to enjoy your Chaparral hull.

Our dealer selected Aluminum prop was great for 51 to 52 GPS. But useless at any thing else. If the boat is always loosing propeller traction from a floored start or a sudden turn ? I can help you there with a Power Tech prop.

what cyclops said

We have a 99 200le. Heavy, stable boat. We also have the 220hp merc carbed. Great power and performance for what we do. Most of the time we have 4 adults but there are times we've had 8 for events.

Nice boat, but I may be biased. :beer-7687-1: This boat rides bigger than its size. Enjoy it and upgrade away. You can't really hurt the thing.