Sig 290 2011

Our 2008 has that exact set up , Merc 4.3's with B3 drives . Even with the boat fully loaded up for a 10 day trip we had no issues . That's even with the dinghy sitting on davits across the swim platform .

One thing I do notice with the B3's is that they don't require a whole bunch of trim once your up on plane . Quick squeeze on the trim button is all you need .

We love our 290 , I'm sure you will too !

Congrats .

• 1 year later...

This is all great to hear! I just bought the same boat but with Volvo's. I am having the dealer install a closed cooling system and going to add a set of midship cleats and another set of cleats for fenders in the stearn. The midship cleats are too hard to reach from inside the boat.

• 3 weeks later...

Delsol25, before buying our 310 with two 5.0 ltrs we tried one with 2 x 4.3ltrs and it is just fine dont worry, slightly more noise at same speed but cheaper on gas...

congrats...

As I mentioned, I just bought the same boat. So right now my wife is not too happy with me. I been buying things for the new boat. She says I am as bad is a little kid.

Ok, so I had to buy wire, a VHF ant., the mount for that, an extra bilged pump with ever thing needed to install it, deck lights, extra remote the deck, transducer, cleats, S.S. hardware, NMEA2k connectors and I must have lift something out. I don't see any problems in this.

As you know, boat comes with 3 batteries, I might put a 4th one but I don't know as if yet. I use AGM ones and there very good. I pulled them off my old boat along with a 2000w inverter. I used it to power the microwave at times. It pulls so much power I could only use it for 5 or 6 minuets.I had to use 0/1 size cables and with this new boat I need to see were I can mount it.

The dealer was a little surprised in using my old batteries, but these AGM can run the house all night and start the engine up the next morning on one of them. in all fairness, thats with LED lighting, using the frigd, runing the radio for 2 hours and keeping the GPS on all night for the anchor alarm.

Is that the stock photo of your helm? If not, what size GPS do you have? I pulled my Garmin 740 out of my old boat and just bought a Garmin 740S. (the dealer made me leave my fishfinder in my old boat) I want to mount one above the other. The top one will display GPS & radar and the lower one will display sonor & gps.

Right know I am fighting, but nicly, with the dealing in installing a closed system. He give me one price and now its about %50 more. AND we went from a whole system to a half system.

Adding another battery to the house is very easy. Find a area to mount the battery then run cables back to the other house batter. Hook it up in negative to negative and positive to positive. I have a second on my boat and have never come close to running them down. The four batteries in the engine compartment are all agm. Does your 290 have a genset?

Iggy, let us know if you add another battery, I have been considering the same, but would be interested in hearing what is involved.

This is only me, but I would not use the above method. What can happen is if one battery starts to fail it can bring the other one down with it. I have done this in the past and it works. Add a 6 to 10amp shore charger to the battery in question. Remember too, that I am using this for the house and not so much in starting. Use a #4 wire to ground the battery. I will install a 100A battery combiner with a remote switch at the helm. What the remote will do is, combine the batteries, disconnect them and/or set the combiner to auto mode. In the auto mode, if there is charge voltage them combiner will close. No charge voltage it will open. giving me full control. The battery switches is already setup to use the house battery, if needed to start the engine (at lest that what I was told, I don't have the boat yet) off the house, so I combine the 2 using the remote switch to start the engine and the set the other battery switch too.

Adding another battery to the house is very easy. Find a area to mount the battery then run cables back to the other house batter. Hook it up in negative to negative and positive to positive. I have a second on my boat and have never come close to running them down. The four batteries in the engine compartment are all agm. Does your 290 have a genset?

I thought I had read that you may need to consider upgrading the alternator when adding batteries? Maybe I remember that wrong.

Looks like there are a few ways to wire it up. I have 2 starting and 1 house battery now, had considered adding another house.

No genset :-(. Those westerbeke 3.5s look really nice, small and quiet though. Maybe someday.

I thought I had read that you may need to consider upgrading the alternator when adding batteries? Maybe I remember that wrong. Looks like there are a few ways to wire it up. I have 2 starting and 1 house battery now, had considered adding another house. No genset :-(. Those westerbeke 3.5s look really nice, small and quiet though. Maybe someday.

On the alternator, not really. The question is, how fast do you want the battiers to charge up when the engine is running.

Lets turn this around: Your at anchor or on a morring overnight on 2 house batteries. The 2 starting batteries should be just fine. You wake up to find the 2 house battiers almost dead. Once you start the engines, the alternator should put out enough power to charge the 2 of them up. I would be more concerned if all four were close to a full discharge.

I have a starting battery for each motor, each with their own switch and then the house battery bank is 2 batteries wired in parallel. There is a disadvantage to 2 batteries wired in parallel and that is one can go bad and pull the other battery down. A check of the voltage of a disconnected batery can let you know if it on the down.

The alternator will only put out what it is rated at, it doesn't really matter how many batteries are hooked to it. What happens is it takes long to charge batteries that are low.

• 2 months later...

REFERENCE: 290 Chaparral Signature Cruiser

Hi Everyone:

I am new to this forum. ----- My wife and I ordered a "new" 2013 / 290 Signature Cruiser at the New York Boat Show. ------ We are presently waiting on the delivery of the new boat. ----- We are very "excited" about this purchase! ----- We are VERY fortunate, in that we have an OUTSTANDING dealer! (They are the BEST on the Hudson River!) ------ The description of our boat is as follows:

HULL: White / No Radar Arch

ENGINES: Twin 4.3 MerCruiser with Alpha Drives

Full Camper Canvas & Cockpit Cover

Fire control system in the engine compartment.

VHF radio

Windlass W / Chain & Rode

A/C in cabin

Basic standard equipment

I am looking to communicate with 290 owners who could share some 'insight" with regards to this boat. ------ This will be our 4th new boat purchase. --- In the past we owned a 1976 16' Aqua Glass Stinger with a 50hp Mercury Outboard, ----- a 1995 23' Maxum Cabin boat with a 5.7V8 and an Alpha Drive, ----- and a 1999 27 Doral Cruiser that we lost in Storm Sandy. ----- The Doral had a 7.4 MerCruiser engine with a Bravo 3 - I/O drive. It was a VERY powerful power train, and the boat performed VERY well! ---- We really liked this boat, and we would have kept it till we were out of boating, if Storm Sandy had not floated it off it's stands and blocks in winter storage, and sunk it in the storage lot! ---- Our boating experience has been in the Hudson River, lower New York Bay, the Raritan Bay, the Coast along N.J., the Manasquan Inlet, Port Jefferson / Long Island and the Barnegat Bay. ---- We would like to take a small trip down the Hudson River to Keyport, spend the night, and return the next day once this boat is delivered!

How do you like your 290 Cruiser? ---- What issues have you had, (if any), with your boat? ---- How do you like the 4.3 MerCruiser Engines? ---- How do you like the Alpha Drives? (I could have ordered the with Bravo 3 drives, but my Doral had some issues with the "carriers and bearings" in the Bravo drive over the years!)

I am interested in your opinions as to the performance of the boat with 4.3 and Alpha Drives.

Thank you in advance for your help, concern and professionalism.

Best regards!

Greg