professor48

Splash Date?

With the almost non-existent winter we're having, i was just wondering when people plan on getting their boats back into the water. I'd love to start getting ours ready in about 4 weeks, but I worry that we're liable to have a late winter with snow into April. Any ideas? Hy

I was tempted to take ours out a few weeks back when it was a nice 75 degree day. With an hour drive, a 4 month old and rewinterizing we decided not to.

We are planning on last weekend in March the 30th. We will see. We have been getting the itch pretty bad.

ONLY a few more weeks!

VA Beach here, thinking in another four weeks. Time to get the stereo and new speakers in, boat polished (already compounded), and clean the carpet.

Hy - still looks like around May 1st for me. Lots of repairs to be made around the Marina due to Hurrican Irene last Fall, and normal winter damage that occurs. I have been checking the marina webcam, and they have been working all winter - thanks to an easy, snow-less off season. Can't wait till splash!

Even with one of the top 10 warmest winters with very little snow, it will probably still be around 60 days before we are able to get boats in the cold Minnesota waters. Ice out may be a little earlier due to warmth there is traditionally still worries about and April freeze and/or snow. It's the usual good news/bad news, boat goes in but it's tax day.

We're moving to a different marina as soon as we splash. They won't let us stay even one day unless we pay the daily transient rate. I can't blame them since we are moving. We're heading a little further east into Moriches Bay from Great South Bay. The waters in GSB turned out to be too rough for enjoyment. The slightest wind and we were on a bucking bronco. We'll probably not splash until April 1, when our winter storage runs out. They'll be in no rush to accomodate us. Of course, if they're slow on bottom painting, we'll be stuck where we are, on the hard. I actually need about 3 or 4 days to get things ready for splash, but I'm starting to plan already. Beginning nest week I'm going to finally have some time to work on the electronics and a few other "inside" stuff. I finish my cancer treatment this Friday! Now you know why I can't wait for spring. Stay warm, all. Hy

I had the marina "pencil" in Monday April 2nd. SIgn the warranty, start the sat radio subscription, go over the hanfull of items from the punch list and be good to go. Will decide that day if we are going to drive it up to the slip or have them trailer it back to the marina for us......Been waiting ( and making payments ) since october ...so this post to Gods ears...APRIL 2nd !!!!

Another 89 days for me ... :(

The 2012 West Marine catalog came in today, and the Volvo Penta service/parts/wiring manuals I have ordered ... that will keep me busy for a while ... :)

Hoping for mid April when the contract for my slip begins. It's a short ride from the marina that winterizes my boat so if the weather is decent I'll have the earliest start in my short boating career.

The earliest I have launched was a few years ago 1st week of May. April, while no ice is still pretty cold and rainy. I haven't placed my to do order yet (bottom paint, electronics, etc) but I imagine the dealer wants the storage space freed up and hopefully the add-ons won't stretch out too long.

Here's hoping for a late April Launch!! :beer-7687-1:

Professor48 , 46 days to go I have been launching first full week in April for the last 11 years only had snow delay my launch in 2002 that was a really bad winter. Only delayed me 2 days. Worst part of early launch is finding a period where the temps are warm enough to wax the boat and put on the Canvas isenglass shrinks in the cold. We usually have everything set up within 2 days of being launched. We start going out in late April after the channel markers are put back in. Marina is empty lots of open slips to practice docking. Biggest issue I have with April is the wind tends to come out of the North makes getting in and out of my Slip #%^$&%$ near impossible at times

Bill

Lady-G SIG 310.

I still haven't fully paid for my slip for next season. I'm waiting for my first paycjeck for this semester, which doesn't come until March 6. I'm going to try to get down to the marina to check on the boat on Monday. it all depends on the weather and how I feel. Right now, I fight fatigue every day. It's supposed to get better over the next few weeks. I brought the container of outdruive oil into the house so it'll warm up. It's too cold and thick to try to pump into the drive right now. The drives has been drained all winter; I did that back in October. I want to refill it, grease everything, and then clean it in preparation for spraying it with Trilux 33. That's my plan for next week. Stay warm, Hy..

Just got an update from our Marina today.

"Well, believe it or not, second boat in a week just motored by the marina! At this time last year trucks were driving around out there. Today, people fishing, and not ice fishing. At this point we will be getting an early start on the dock install and in turn an early start launching. Sure we will have some snow between now and then, but certainly no ice this year to slow us down. Snow pack in the mountains much less than normal so run off and normal spring lake debris should be much less this yr as well. All signs pointing to a nice early spring."

Unfortunately I can't put ours in until May 1st, that is the earliest my marina allows. Hang in there Hy, use getting back out on your boat as your motivator and before you know it Spring will be here and we will all be back out there in the warm air enjoying the water. Complaining about gas prices again of course.

:beer-7687-1:

We are thinking April 7. I took off the 9-10-11 to get things ready. I just have to wax boat before putting in the water.

My marina contract starts in Mid April but it is really unrealistic for the NorthEast because of the unpredictable and colder weather in April. It takes the fun out of boating until it warms up.

Sometime early May. I just accepted our SeaDek design which will be shipped to my folks in Naples. We will pick them up while we are on a 2 week vacay in March. I plan on shopping for other boat goodies while the admiral shops for shoes... I've ordered 2 underwater lights so plenty of work to do on the boat in April

April 28 10:00am North Point Marina ramp on Lake Michigan. My marina (PHYC) has no ramp and doesn't typically open until April 15 at the earliest and depends on the amount of dredging they have to do. Last year it was April 20th but the weather and wind was pretty cold so I am delaying another week or so. Now if my house sells then I will have the boat instead shipped to Bartlett Lake outside of Scottsdale AZ which would delay my splash date by at least a month or so. But then again I would have a 12 month instead of a 6 month boating season!

It's getting closer, 70 days till May 1st! Most of the ice on the lake is gone, never really froze over this year!

20120220_17-06-44.jpg

Just dropped a line to the insurance company seeing what the cost would be to change my splash date to before april 1st. Hopefully it will be reasonable amount.

Bill

Lady-G Sig 310

After reading Bill's posting, i went back to our boat poilicy to check the language concerning splash date limitations or restictions. I was pleasantly surprised to find no mention of "earliest" splash date. I guess then it's up to me and the marina, and Mother Nature, as to when the boat is splashed. Right now I'm looking at getting it ready the last week of March and splashing the first week of April. The big question, of course, is going to be the weather. I'm going to bring my batteries over to Auto Zone later this week for testing. I've had them on a maintenance charge since the boat's hauling, but they will be 5 years old this season. I never had a problem with them and want to keep it that way. Hy