Richard W

Tender towing behind the boat

41 posts in this topic

I just got a small Zodiac ZOOM 230: 7'7" length, 4'5" width, and 57 pounds. Seems to be a perfect match for our pocket cruiser. We might find a good place for it on the boat, but meantime, how do I tow it ...

Should I use 1 line or 2 crossed lines? How far behind the boat? What about speed, and anything else I might be oblivious to?

TIA ... :)

BTW, if anybody is looking for a good small tender check the defender.com ... they have good prices in general, but this one is on sale right now ... sale sticker 499 vs their regular 599 vs MSRP 858: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|215570|1794282|1794295&id=1649537

Richard,

Towing an inflatable this light behind your boat will be difficult for several reasons:

1.If you go too fast i.e. up on a plane, the dinghy is apt to go airborne.

2. If you tow slow, you will be fine with one line but you will have to adjust the length to find the sweet spot outside of the "v" of your wake. If you tow inside the v, the tow will try to run up against the stern.

3. Towing slow is frustrating for fuel consumption and the extra you need to get where you are going.

IMHO, since it only weight 57 lbs. why not bring it up on it side and lash it to the swim platform, or deflate and stow until you get where you are going.

Richard,

Towing an inflatable this light behind your boat will be difficult for several reasons:

1.If you go too fast i.e. up on a plane, the dinghy is apt to go airborne.

2. If you tow slow, you will be fine with one line but you will have to adjust the length to find the sweet spot outside of the "v" of your wake. If you tow inside the v, the tow will try to run up against the stern.

3. Towing slow is frustrating for fuel consumption and the extra you need to get where you are going.

IMHO, since it only weight 57 lbs. why not bring it up on it side and lash it to the swim platform, or deflate and stow until you get where you are going.

Thanks a lot ... you saved me from learning on my mistakes and looking like a fool out there, or worse.

A small tender behind a sailboat never was a problem ... it just did not feel like the right thing to do behind the power boat.

You are right, it should fit on a swim platform, or maybe flat on a foredeck properly tied down ... getting it up and over the railing might be a challenge.

Ya - towing a tender with a cruiser.... not a great idea - install some Weaver Davits and Carry the tender on the swim grid like we do ....

It Rcoks !!

Nue-Teak-Swimgrid.jpg

248872_10150209788942283_521612282_7618390_8240502_n.jpg

Picture1.png

when under way - we just flip it foward so it rests on the Sunlounger...

Lat-river.jpg

Thanks CJ ... I will look into it. Your setup looks great.

Nice bow ornament too ... good looking Siren ... :D

Thanks Rich,

we ordered the extended 4" Weavers - due to the curve and the lip/edge of the swim-grid being wide :)

these are the standard size....

Davit.jpg

these are the 4" extended...

WeaverDavits.jpg

there is a SS spacing plate under the Weaver mounting base so the arm was not resting on the lip of the edge of the swimgrid it extended over (needed to be raised 1/8th" I believe)

That's great CJ ... that explains it. I was looking at Weaver gadgets last night and was not sure which model would fit our boats.

Now, on the tender side ... did you use glue-on pads with ss yokes?

That's great CJ ... that explains it. I was looking at Weaver gadgets last night and was not sure which model would fit our boats.

Now, on the tender side ... did you use glue-on pads with ss yokes?

Yes we did ... :)

Hi Rich,

Hey CJ helped us out with the same pics. Thanks again CJ. Unfortunately I was to cheap to buy the davits. We lean the left tube of our dingy against the transom obviously on the swim platform and let the right tube lean out toward the water on about a 45 degree angle. The dingy hangs on two light duty ratchet or slip straps from walmart. Looks like it is on davits without the cost. Ran across Ontario in 4 -5 foot seas to Harbor fest and it never moved. We spent a night or two in Sackets Harbour and I think I really ticked the guy off two slips down. I released the two straps and dropped the dingy in litereally 1 minute. He wrestled and cursed his davits for about 8 minutes.

Rich

Thanks Rich ... I am still looking for ideas.

The davits sticking out and outside a rub rail without tender attached are a bit of concern to me. I still practice bumper cars approach when in reverse ... I would hate to scratch another boat's hull, or break them off when touching the dock.

Looks like I need a bigger boat ... the tender is too big ... at least it looks big in this to scale simulation ... :huh:

gallery_11046_393_51944.jpg

Seriously now ... has anybody tried to tow a tender that is partially beached on a swim platform? Would this (see below) work at cruising speed?

gallery_11046_393_17535.jpg

We towed a Sevylor dingy behind our 20' cuddy several times. Learned that it would indeed become a kite at high speed, spectacular but undesireable.

I am a wakeboarder so the metal davits on the swim deck were not gonna happen. We tried securing it much like you show in the lower picture. It worked well underway but was very bothersome docking. It didn't stay in place and generally created havoc in tight quarters. We also tried to bring it completely on board (inflated) and secure it when underway. We looked like the Beverly Hillbillys.

Finally I got good at deflating and inflating it and all was well.

Now we have a Sig 240 and just bought an 8' dingy at the boat show. I am thinking maybe I could place those davits far enough apart so I could enter the water with my board strapped on....

Rich, just how did you secure your dingy without davits?

Jeff

Thanks for your comments ... I did not think about maneuvers in tight quarters ... not a great idea.

I am back to my fall-back idea ... Beverly Hillbillys' way ... :)

gallery_11046_393_25206.jpg

Actually there are two other solutions I just found worth consideration. First will not work if you want to have an uncluttered swim platform, but the c-shape davits can be mounted such way, I think, that they will be entirely within boat's profile when retracted. Here is the picture and link:

6000a.jpg6000testimonial1a.jpg

Link: http://www.allinflat...tom/davit2.html

Another idea from the same site is so flexible and simple that it will work in most situations ... a cargo sling/net. Check the link below for more photos:

image4111.jpgsling2.jpg

Link: http://www.allinflat.../hb/sling1.html

I think I will go with the net ... it gives me a lot of choices to secure the tender, beached on a swim platform or totally lifted or on the foredeck, and it is easy to change the configuration as conditions and situation, or cargo change.

Rich - we used to have the allinflatables davit system on our boat.... I hated it....

DavitSystem2.jpg

Davit-1.jpg

again - because of the curve/lip of the swimgrid - they couldnt be mounted as you show them above - we had to get extension arms made.... the U-Rings were a pain in the a$$ to load the tender in from the water....

we took it off for the weaver davits !!!! sooooo fast & easy to use... We're constantly backing Lat into slips spots.... never hit the dock or another boat.... I still think the Weavers are the best way to go :)...

but...I guess it all comes down to personal preferance... the net looks like a neat idea... but It'd probably be a total CF for me... I 'd get it all tangled and frustrate myself....

for us... come up to boat - lock tender in davits, jump out of tender swing tender up, tie down... off we go... takes 2 min... (our tender 8ft long)

Another reason we love the weaver davits over any other solution we tried, with the tender easily and securely attached to the swim grid, you can do this:

IMG_7598800x600.jpg

cj - i have a 2011 270 signature which i believe has the same integrated swim platform as yours. you mention you needed the 4" extensions and a ss spacer to make it work with the platform lip? also, how difficult was it to glue the pads to the dinghy? weaver recommends having it done professionally. the one drawback for this system is having to remove the outboard, correct? and can't the davit be removed when not in use leaving only the plate mounted to the deck? any help to these questions are greatly appreciated.

thanks, dave

Dave,

you mention you needed the 4" extensions and a ss spacer to make it work with the platform lip?

- yes... the regular short Weavers (see photos in earlier post) would not work due to the curve of the integrated swimgrid

- also the lip of the integrated sg rounds up a bit and we therefore had to put a 1/8" spacer plate under the base of the davit

how difficult was it to glue the pads to the dinghy? weaver recommends having it done professionally

- we had it professionally done - but 1 pad did come unglued a bit in a spot where we had to cut it to fit around the oar holders... which we did ourselves - not problems since (our friends did theres themselves with no problems)

the one drawback for this system is having to remove the outboard, correct?

- yes - we remove the o/b motor when tender is flipped onto swimgrid - BUT with Stand-off bars & a roatating Engine mount - you wouldnt have to

Engineroatatinemount.jpg

and can't the davit be removed when not in use leaving only the plate mounted to the deck?

-yes... you could intall these

QuickKit-Weaver.jpg

QuicKKit_49.jpg

Weaver can do almost anything you want...and with a bit of imagination/creativity - you can make them work for your boat :)

CJ, I like the slide-in plate ... I would not have to worry about two prongs sticking out, and it can act as a spacer plate as well. Looks simple and uncluttered ... :)

One more question ... would you say that the 4" extension is required, or would 3" or 2" extension also work?

You could also fabricate some type of padded insert to go into and over the receiver plate for when you might have a lot of foot traffic on the swim platform and the tender disconnected. It would be a bad day to stub your toe or catch a toe nail on the receiver.

Just food for thought.

cj - thanks for your input and suggestions. i believe i'm going to see if my marina will do the mounting for me.

dave

One more question ... would you say that the 4" extension is required, or would 3" or 2" extension also work?

I suppose that depends on where you mount you pads on the tender... But if they're too low ....the tube on the Davit side will be off the water when locked in.... And when getting in /out of tender you pads may begin to peel off

For the mounts on the swim grid - you need that length because of the curve of the grid & so the tender will sit flat on the water ... Because of the diameter of the tubes..... If the davits are shorter, when you lower the tender, the tube on the davit side will hit the swim grid before the other side is on the water....you've got to think of where the waterline is & how the tender will sit

Hope that helps.... Trust me we've tried several ways.....

Again.... In the end, it's gonna come down to what works best for YOU :)

Thanks again CJ ... it gives me good idea. Now, I need to see the boat and tender in the water and how they level with each other to make decision on which model and how to install the davits. I like the idea of slide-in plates, and now wonder if I could install them and davits under swim platform as our boats have perfectly flat surface there. That way the tender patches might land on the side in the center of the tube which would be an ideal placement as the tender would rest on the patches when raised up.

Enough speculations, I need the boat in the water ... it's darn frustrating not to be able to go and see things right away ... :)

Thanks again CJ ... it gives me good idea. Now, I need to see the boat and tender in the water and how they level with each other to make decision on which model and how to install the davits. I like the idea of slide-in plates, and now wonder if I could install them and davits under swim platform as our boats have perfectly flat surface there. That way the tender patches might land on the side in the center of the tube which would be an ideal placement as the tender would rest on the patches when raised up.

Enough speculations, I need the boat in the water ... it's darn frustrating not to be able to go and see things right away ... :)

Rich, there's NO WAY you could mount them underneath... Way too low...Just look at my signature pic .... The bottom of integrated grid is only a few inches off the water

Weaver can do almost anything you want...and with a bit of imagination/creativity - you can make them work for your boat :)

As you said ... I am thinking now about real custom job with slide-in mounts under the platform out of the way, and slide-in davit arms turning 90 degree up to the correct level and then another 90 degree out to tender. Thanks for the ideas ... they helped me to evaluate the options and have much better understanding without getting wet, or expensive ... :)