7ft or 8ft inflatable (tender) for a 240 Signature...what to do?

Hey Crew!

Bit of a newbie here. I was looking at purchasing a 270 Sig earlier in the year but just decided to go with a 2005 240 Signature with a 350 MPI and a Bravo III, with 100 hours on the clock. I haven't even unwrapped the shrink wrap after it's long journey here and winterization. I can't wait to bust it open!

Anyway, I am looking at purchasing a tender for this boat and I hope to hook up to a basic davit system as well. I can't decide if I should go with the shorter Inflatable dingy at 7'6 length at 4'4" wide (75 lbs) or the 8'2 length at 5'2" wide (90 lbs). Both inflatables are rigid hulls.

I tend to be leaning to the small 7'6 inflatable because of it being more nimble, lighter...the benefits of carrying a smaller boat on the back of the 240. On the other hand I would like the benefits of the larger 8'2 inflatable because of its carrying capacity compared to the smaller inflatable. I will be using a new 2.5 HP Yamaha on the inflatable. I would be also be using this inflatable to ferry the 2 kids (4 - 8 years old) and my wife to the beach mainly. I would also use it on occasion to to just take the kids out and have some fun at the lake. I am not opposed to doing two trips but it would be nice to all go at once. Bottom line is...would the 240 preform okay with the 8'2 inflatable on the back?

Any ideas, thoughts or experiences with a tender in this size category with a boat like the 240 Signature? I just don't want the boat to perform like I am towing an anchor behind me.

Thanks!

Matt

Assuming your weights are correct, lets put it into perspective. The difference in weight equals to about 2 gallons of water on the transom. I would go for the larger one. Im not sure how a 2.5 hp would move either tender......

I dont really want to be lifting a 40 - 50 lb motor over the salt water trying to get it on the dingy. The 2.5 hp is light enough that I don't have to worry about dropping it in the ocean and small enough to fasten it inside the engine compartment of the big boat. I realize that it wont be breaking any speed records with that low of HP. I will be getting a davit system (to be determined) but i dont want to get in the the big price range of the tender and outboard motor davit system.

Would the 8' 2" inflatable look too big on the back of a 240?

Bigger tender will be better! You, the kids , coolers, whatever your bringing back, gas tank and lifejackets will eat up the space real quick!

I think you Gould add some more thought to the motor... in a stiff wind or current situation, you'll never make it back to the boat! The weight isn't to bad in the 4 and 6 hp motors and you'll be happier with the performance ifyou go a hair bigger! My tender is a Caribe 10'3" with 8hp Honda four stroke, I love it! 25 mph w/ gear and 2 people!

Thanks for the replies guy's!

Richard, thanks for the link to that thread as well, very informative. The smaller boat that I am looking at is actually called a 230. In your simulation, the 230 looks like a significant size on the back of that 270. I have actually purchased the 230 with the inflatable keel but the dealer said that if I want to and if I haven't opened the box I can return in for a rigid hull / fiberglass bottom for an extra $300 (230 model) or $400 more for 8' 2" rigid hull. It seems like a worth while upgrade for the money. They said that I need to decide soon...like now.

• 1 year later...

We had a 7.6ft soft bottomed inflatable. We just upgraded to a new 7.11ft rigid hulled inflatable...

Way better.... Now the hubby has to pimp out the new & improved "Latatube" with the speakers & u/w light ;)

23bfa1cc35ca72bef6bd22f82cf11f74_zpsa541

I am new to Chaparral so the 240 I would think is 25ft long. In Richards W. Pics, I have done the 2nd one amy times & it works well for me on my old 23 & 26 foot boat. What happened to me was when I flipped it up (as in the 1st pic) it acted like a sail catching the wind. The front of my boat was not high enough!!

As to the 2.5hp, go with at least a 3.5 to a 5hp. I get it, the wight, but the wind and current will take that inflatable & push it around. I store the motor in the locker on the back and always put a line on it and cleat it off in case I drop it into the water.

We had a 7.6ft soft bottomed inflatable. We just upgraded to a new 7.11ft rigid hulled inflatable...

Way better.... Now the hubby has to pimp out the new & improved "Latatube" with the speakers & u/w light ;)

What is the hp rating of your tube engine?

I will be ordering LEHR soon and I am torn between 2.5hp (for weight), and 5.0hp (for power).

I wish there was a 3.5-4hp option. The 5.0hp is technically overrated for my Zodiac Zoom.

Any advise?

I am new to Chaparral so the 240 I would think is 25ft long. In Richards W. Pics, I have done the 2nd one amy times & it works well for me on my old 23 & 26 foot boat.

Any problems with the tender getting sucked by a prop wash, especially in reverse?

Richard,

the Max HP rating for our new tender is 4... we currently have a 2.5 Merc.

Our friend who just bought a Doral Montecello - bought the same tender we just bough & also got the new LEHR 2.5 for it.... (was contemplating the 5HP... but with the rating on the Tender at 4 & the weight of the 2.5 makes it much easier - after all - its a TENDER .... no real need for speed....

we're hoping LEHR brings out a 3.5 or 4 HP soon - as thats what we'd like too but no rush :)

What is the hp rating of your tube engine?

I will be ordering LEHR soon and I am torn between 2.5hp (for weight), and 5.0hp (for power).

I wish there was a 3.5-4hp option. The 5.0hp is technically overrated for my Zodiac Zoom.

Any advise?

Any problems with the tender getting sucked by a prop wash, especially in reverse?

In forward, not at all. In reverse, I never tried it, when it comes to docking when I really need reverse. I pull the inflatable along side to get it out of the way.

Richard.... Just thought of something... The hp rating on a tender...... Doesn't that have to do with higher the hp...heavier the engine ... & the transom is only rated for a certain weight (thereby hp) ?... If so .... The LEHR Propane engines are considerably lighter than their gas equals & therefore you could easily do a 5hp on your tender...

Not sure .... Maybe wingnut or one of the other incredibly knowledgable guys could chime in....

I dont really want to be lifting a 40 - 50 lb motor over the salt water trying to get it on the dingy. The 2.5 hp is light enough that I don't have to worry about dropping it in the ocean and small enough to fasten it inside the engine compartment of the big boat. I realize that it wont be breaking any speed records with that low of HP. I will be getting a davit system (to be determined) but i dont want to get in the the big price range of the tender and outboard motor davit system.

Would the 8' 2" inflatable look too big on the back of a 240?

I tow an 8ft dingy behind my 24' when I go to catalina...sometime I transport it on the swim step..who cares what it looks like.

Richard.... Just thought of something... The hp rating on a tender...... Doesn't that have to do with higher the hp...heavier the engine ... & the transom is only rated for a certain weight (thereby hp) ?

It's often the both specs that are listed: motor weight, and motor hp. It has something to do with the max forces the transom can take, downward and forward. If the motor is too powerful it will try to outrun the dinghy ... right thru its center line.

I am still thinking about 5hp which has a reverse gear. If we get bigger boat, then bigger dingy ... we could use bigger motor. Just would have to be careful not to go close to WOT on the current one which is rated at max 4hp, the motor weight is well below max.

It's often the both specs that are listed: motor weight, and motor hp. It has something to do with the max forces the transom can take, downward and forward. If the motor is too powerful it will try to outrun the dinghy ... right thru its center line.

Gotcha... Ok - thanks ;)