Jowee

'10-'12 196-216 owners please read.

Has anyone had problems with their 3 position sun lounge? I have a '10 206 (bought new in mar '11) that halfway through the summer last year, the sun lounge back would not stay in position. My wife was the only one really using it and shes onle 5' 3" 100lbs soak and wet! I looked at the brackets and they seemed to be bent. Before winterization, I took it in and the dealer replaced with a new cushion and brackets. Took the boat out yesterday and the first time I put the back into position it slams down and will not hold still. I guess what I want to know is, Is this an issue that Chaparral has had with this design? I noticed on the '12 they moved the lounge to the other side. Sorry so long but this is really pissing me off.

I noticed this on the boat we tested. The bracket struggled to hold the lounge. I was hesitant of the design and when deciding between sunesta and ssi this was a negative. Obviously we went with the 246. However on delivery the dealer had to adjust the bracket from the factory.

So far it has held up.

I am not looking forward to the wife going into the drink when it fails...You all know whos fault that will be...

Thanks for the quick reply. I actually just recieved a call back from my dealer and he informed me that the 3 position lounge was no longer available for the walk through side and was for the port side. If you notice, the '12 models have the lounge on the port side. My '10 did not. my question to him was, why wasnt the WHOLE sun lounge then replace with the new design? If they were having that much of a problem, why wasnt it recalled? I can tell you. That was a HUGE selling point to my wife when we bought the boat. She spends all her time back there while we are anchored and watches the kids swim with a beverage in her hand. Kind of hard to do laying flat. Shes ready to tow the boat back to the dealer and demand something be done! lol. But I have sent an email to Chaparral in hopes of a resolution to this.

Jowee,

I tried to get it on my 2012 196. Originally the dealer told me for the 12 model that it was standard and would come with the boat. But alas it wasn't there. Upon further investigation, I learned that it was no longer available on my boat. I had tried to order the old hinge but they would not sell it to me. Chap told me that had too many problems with the device. When I get a chance, I will buy a piece of the plastic board (forgot what you call it) and make my own prop on a hinge that can snap in and out of place. Should be fairly easy to do since there is a plenty of room under the cushion to mount it without interfering with the hatch cover. I'll post pics once I get the boat out of storage.

We have a '11 206 SSI and we have the same problem. I asked the dealer to look at it last fall. I don't think they did anything. I am trying to determine if you can replace the entire engine hatch cover for the style on the '12 models. The new design has a flip up over the cooler compartment so you don't have to expose the engine when accessing the cooler. The kids want in the cooler when the engine is running and I think this is a safety hazard. Does anyone have any information on this?

On our 2011 246 SSi, i've had similar problems with both hinges on the lounge in the back. First the port one went, almost dumping the admiral into the drink. Then we started using the starboard side and that one failed too. Now - neither will stay in the "up" position. I've notified my dealer a couple of months ago - end of summer - need to get it resolved. It's the boat show up here this weekend so i'm hoping to talk to them about it.

sc gamecock - you mentioned adjustments were made? I didn't see anything really serviceable - maybe i missed something. You haven't had any issues with yours?

I have had the same problem on my 2011 206 from the start. Dealer says chap is working on a fix. But each time I ask him the status, he says nothing yet. Maybe we should all go direct to chap and demand action!

I have a 2011 196ssi and have only raised and lowered the hinged sunpad to gain access to the boat through the walkthru and have had no problems. We spend all our time "on the beach" so I don't know if I would have the same issues. I will test it this season and report back. Thanks for the info.

Jim

During delivery my sunpad would not stay up. I am kind of anal and opened, closed, adjusted, etc everything I could think of. The sunpad would not stay in the angled position without falling if pressure was applied. The tech at the dealer actually took all the screws/bolts in the bracket off and drilled on the hinge to allow it to catch easier. The main problem I now have is that it will catch in the angled position and is tough to release. I sprayed some wd40 on the bracket and it helps.

So far no one in the drink. We will see what this summer entails.

We got our boat back fixed yesterday. They replaced the port side seat/back with one that has significantly more bite. This wouldn't work on starboard side because it needs to open all the way for boarding. The extra purchase the new latch provides doesn't allow it to open all the way.

So at least I have one good working seat back there!

Launch day is today! Supposed to hit 84 on Sunday. Water temp still in 47 though - no swimming for us!

Jim

Mine isn't a '10-'12, but we had problems with flipping it up and down into positions, would hang up all the time if you will. Dealer finally replaced it with a new one and haven't had any trouble since. We were to the point of just having them take it off, as it was more trouble than it was worth.

We have had multiple sunpad issues. The first was an issue with the gas shocks that hold the sunpad up to view the engine and cooler bay. The right shock kept coming off and the dealer had to install a new shock. To date it's held up.

Second, we have had issues with the sunpad as reported in this thread. Even before we bought the boat the dealer said it was a gimmicky setup and often times frustrating to deal with. However, I'm tempted to ask for a '12 replacement so that we can have access to the cooler without having to lift the entire sunpad...thus kicking the wife off of it and making her upset.

First world problems but this needs to be addressed for sure.

I have already had to replace one gas shock. On the 2012 196, the port side doesn't have a hinge, so you have to pick up the whole pad to get to the cooler. That is a PITA!. I would love it if I could get a hinge for that side. I don't even know if it was available for this boat.

Al