Genesis12

Quicksilver Throttle 1989

17 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I need help,I have taken apart my throttle lever to replace shift cable,but now the brass bar has fallen out of handle and I cannot find a diagram to show me how to put it back together,also the neutral is now in a completely different position,wolud anyone have a photo of that and photo of the lingage assembly next to the engine?problem is I took it apart along time ago and am now stuck on how to assemble both ends,Thanks guys!

Is this the same model that you have??

100_1596-1-1.jpg

If it is, here is a parts diagram for this unit.

capture_10072010_182948-1.jpg

I have the complete manual for this unit so if you need anything further, let me know and I'll try to copy it to you.

`Thanks Rich,

I really appreciate that,The control is the same one ,can you e-mail me a copy of that as a PDF?Would anybody be able to take a couple of photos of the linkages for the shift cable next to the engine,my engine is a 5.7 350 V8.

Regards Brian.....

Here is the entire section of the manual dealing with the shifter pictured above.

Well, that didn't work....

The PDF file is 16 MB big and this editor will not let me post it.

Message me with your email address and I'll send it that way.

Webbie??

Is there a way or place I can uplaod this file so others might have access to it also??

Here's a link to the file posted at Google Docs....

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BxEezWHN2JhbMDNTdWFWSEZRNFMxcS1yME03ZG5GZw

Thanks to Webbie for helping with that suggestion!!

Edited by RichMarionOhio

Thanks Rich,

Just printed that off,Do you think there might be anyone out there that can take a photo of the linkage assembly at the side of the Engine for the shift cable,as I mentioned 5.7 V8.

Regards Brian.....

Thanks Rich,

It Looks very simular,I will work on it in the next few days,again many thanks for all your help,I may have one or two questions on the Alpha drive,exhaust bellows etc,would it be Ok to contact you again,should I need some help,

Slan Go Foil,

Is Mise Le Meas [Thats all Irish Gaelic]Meaning simply,Goodbye and Thank you,

Regards Brian...

Rich,

I have a 1988 198xl 5.0 liter (purchased new!) and just replaced the wood on both sides. I used the drawings which came in handy. Thanks so much for posting the info.

Joe

Thank-you Rich for posting the info. I could NOT find this in the MCM Service Manuals -- not in #15 and not in #11. Excellent.

Correct. Mostly need Quicksilver Service Manual 90-814705R2 for instructions on the Mercury Remote Controls. They're always fun...

I have the same shifter and a similarsame problem. The shifter was taken apart to change the shift cable and cant get the neutral set. Could I get a copy of the manual.

Rick, of Marion, OH, you are a lifesaver! I have a trim problem, neither of the switches for "UP" or "TRAILER" activate the solenoid, i.e., no voltage reaching the "UP" solenoid coil's terminals. Trim pump "UP" works fine when the power terminals on the "UP" solenoid are jumped. The diagram you posted, shows disassembly procedure to see where to check for power and to identify the broken wire, probably the one from the two switches to the solenoid, odds are on the wire through the throttle/shifter/trim switch assembly. Of course the Chappie designers of our 1989 2100SE carefully planned for this event by putting all the wires and the control housing behind some lovely padded decorative panels whose removal will be the next mystery to unravel.

BTW, do you know if there is any slack in the wiring from the switches that goes through the handle shaft opening if the break is right at that location?

On 11/11/2016 at 4:23 PM, charlie1939 said:

BTW, do you know if there is any slack in the wiring from the switches that goes through the handle shaft opening if the break is right at that location?

I don't *think* there was any slack but it's been a couple years since I had my unit apart. I do remember that threading the wires around inside the unit was tight.

Wow Rich! Thanks for posting this info. I just bought a boat (not a Chaparral) and have to redo the entire interior. I had a heck of a time finding out how to remove the Quicksilver Throttle handle. After several days and fumbling around, I came across this post. Thank you again!

I must have a frozen handle because after removing the throttle set screw, the handle still won't come off... it's loose, but does not want to come off the control shaft.

Anyone have any ideas or tips?

Thanks so much!

Rick