beauford54

Suggestions for Fuel and Engine Additives?

30 posts in this topic

I was told to always use Starbrite or similar fuel additive at each fill-up to prevent the whole water in the fuel thing thanks to ethanol. However, do any of you use or recommend any other additives?

Someone mentioned using Sea Form fuel additive after de-winterizing. I've also seen something called Tufoil that gets added to the oil to help keep the engine efficient and last longer.

Any opinions out there if any of these things work or are just a gimmick?

Thanks!

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment . If you are using E10 gas make sure the additive you use does not also contain alcohol.

I use StarTron by StarBrite as well ... no complaints.

There is equally dedicated following of StarTron and Stabil if you read the various forums.

Everytime I put gas in also add Sta-bil marine formula.

I use Stabil marine formula at about 2/3 recommended dosage for normal use, and the recommended mix for storage, get it at wally world for 20 deer a quart. Easy to get, cheap, seems to work fine.

I've been using regular Stabil for 4 deployments from 6 months to a year and everything (car, motorcycle, lawn mower, pressure washer, etc) fires right up and never had a fuel related problem after storage with it.

I'll put about 3 cans of Seafoam a year through the boat as well, and the cars every 10K miles.

I believe there is nothing wrong w/ adding fuel additives but if you use your boat regularly (not have the fuel sit for weeks on end) during the season I think it is overkill. If I burn through a tank in 2 weeks I am not that worried about the fuel breaking down. I keep a bottle of Stabil with me on the boat but only add it when I know there will be a gap in use. I believe others will use the SeaFoam as that has some cleaning properties as well. I think the products do as intended and keep the fuel from degrading longer than it will normally do. At the end of the year some believe to keep the fuel tank 100% full to reduce the condensation separation along w/ the Stabil, others say to keep the tanks low add the Stabil and fill in spring w/ fresh fuel. I have tried both ways and each spring the boat started up fine.

I will really have to get busy to run through a tank in two weeks, thus the reason for Marine Stabil at each fill. Also the fuel tanks on boats are different than cars since they are vented directly to air.

I add Sta-bil year round. No ethanol or water issues, so I guess it works!

brick

I will really have to get busy to run through a tank in two weeks, thus the reason for Marine Stabil at each fill. Also the fuel tanks on boats are different than cars since they are vented directly to air.

I do agree w/ different types of boats see different uses. cruisers are bigger, w/ big tanks and probably go longer w/ moderate use. ski boats = smaller tanks much harder use, with my 264 pulling tubes, wakeboards and cruising I would go through about 3/4 tank over 4 outings. i never let the fuel dip below 1/4 tank, but it was easy as I trailered then, i will just see what happens w/ a different boat

Since the 327 has a 150 gal tank, maybe you will have fuel in the tank longer. The 330 I have is 170 gal and we do not do any type of towing. Mostly we run around our pond and find a nice place to anchor and then relax for the day. A full tank last me for a long time. Been using Marine Stabil since the start with no issues so far. I do try and keep it mostly full and never much be low 1/2.

:scratchchin: probably in the big picture a good thing to add (gas $4.5/gallon x 150 = $675) cost of a bottle of stabil about $10, cost of engine issues = arm and leg, its wise to keep and open mind.

penny wise and dollar foolish = dumb$%s

:scratchchin: probably in the big picture a good thing to add (gas $4.5/gallon x 150 = $675) cost of a bottle of stabil about $10, cost of engine issues = arm and leg, its wise to keep and open mind. penny wise and dollar foolish = dumb$%s

Think of it this way, less than 13 cents per gallon for piece of mind. The Marine Sta-Bil only needs 1 oz to a gallon.

http://www.goldeagle.com/products/product01A7.aspx

I think I have about a 56 gallon tank. It will probably go 4 to 6 weeks per fill up, so I like delaney and the admiral's thought that it's cheap insurance to use stabil. Guess I'll do the seaform a few times and the stabil most of the time.

Thanks everyone!

Used stabil marine......no problems. Burn at least 20 gallons a weekend.....try to keep the tank full. Cheap additive to help counter the ethanol...used the winter dose....drained tanks as low as possible....no problems with start up in spring. Rich

I think Sta-bil is 1 oz to 10 gallons of gas, when used year-round. brick

You are correct, my mistake, must of been a senior moment. That would make it 1.3 cents per gallon. Really cheap insurance.

I use Stabil when I winterize but not during the season. I have access to "No Ethanol" gas pumps though. 1 station in town carries it and they have a big sign to let you know lol...

This might help you guys find a pure gas station in your area:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov

Scroll to the bottom and click on your state.

Bag the oil additives. Use a quality synthetic oil, and change it once a season before lay-up or every 100 hours (whichever comes first). Stick with the same brand, use a quality filter and know that oil additives are not only a waste of money, they can create problems.

W

Bag the oil additives. Use a quality synthetic oil, and change it once a season before lay-up or every 100 hours (whichever comes first). Stick with the same brand, use a quality filter and know that oil additives are not only a waste of money, they can create problems.

W

+++++1 to Wingnut's comment.

Good synthetic oil only and regular changes keeps the engine running just fine. The only thing I ever put in oil was Marvel Mystery Oil when I acquire an engine of unknown history , and has some buildup inside, to clean it up a bit (stuff works great to clean up the ring grooves). Run it for a bit with the Mystery oil, change the oil and then nothing but regular changes after that.

I use Marvel Mystery oil all the time as well as a stabil..................OH and sometimes a little MoonShine............ :slap::oregonian_winesmiley: