Spring project - teaser

So my buddy and I started the spring projects this week. We are hoping to work all day sunday and have one of the projects complete.

Here are the projects.

1. Multicolored LED lights in the cabin. I have posted this before but here is the link to the light kit we are installing.

http://www.xkglow.co..._p/xk074006.htm

If you scroll down there is video of the lights installed in a boat.

2. "Beefing" up the center dash blank and adding a mount for my Ipad. Planning on running a 12v powersource and AUX cable throught the blank so I dont have wires visible.

3. Adding LED (one color) lights to all stoage compartments. Ski locker, engine compartment, under seat storage, and under sink. I used a basic 14 light LED kit for this, also from xkglow.com

We just spent a couple hours working on this Tuesday. It is going to be a much bigger job than we expected. We hope to have the cabin LED lights complete this Sunday. I will add pictures as we progress.

Here is a picture of the dash with the "blank" removed. It is held in place by two medal bars that "pinch" it to the dash.

DashBlank.jpg

Here is a picture of the switch panel removed. I am using the unused accessory switches to hook the lights up. Doing this to the cabin LEDS is not a big deal becasue the lights are controlled with a key fob, now I will have the ability to cut power to the controller. It is more important to do this to the stroage LEDS because it only comes with a fuse and a small on/off button that is meant to be mounted somewhere. Hooking to accessory switches will allow me to turn the lights on/off via the existing dash switch.

photo.jpg

More to come this weekend.

I am also ordering the XK glow 15 color LED’s. I actually emailed them a few days ago. I really don’t like how a few of the installs were done in the videos. I don’t know if my cup holder cut outs are arched or big enough to really get the light out into the boat and if someone sits there they will block all the light. I don’t like how the one guy just ran them under the seat. The strips and wires are all black. So, they’ll really stand out. I would really like to get some sort of cover , almost like you would use on deck/concrete steps. Then I could run the wiring behind the seat, drill a little hole for the wires, and have the LED’s in the cover.

Untitled.png

I don't think any of these are wide enough for the strips... plus these all come with LED's. No reason to waste the money just to rip them out.

The other thing I wanted to know is if the strips could be cut. It seems to be there are 3 clusters for each strip consisting of a green, blue, red, and amber LED. Since my subs are white I would like the have the LED’s shining onto my sub from the sub grill. I think that would look cool. The strips are just too big to conceal behind the grill. They also have smaller single LED clusters but they don’t have all 4 colors, only 3. This might still work, just skipping over one of the colors but I’m not sure how the system would handle 3 colors when the other lights have 4.

I’m be really interested in seeing how and where you install these. So, please post lots of pictures. Might even save me from a few mistakes!! Lol

My buddy and I have been contemplating this for awhile(location). Unfortunately we haven't come up with the magic solution. My install is going to be similar to the video, but we are going to spend more time hiding the wires. The under seat lights won't have exposed wires running from light to light. We are going to drill into the fiberglass to run the wires where they are not visible. I will add more pics as soon as we make more progress. If you hear back from XK with a solution let me know. Good luck!

I was looking for a number on their site but I could only find an email. I might run to the hardware store and see If they have any sort of cover that I could use. I'd really like to have a professional look when all said and done. As far as putting them right under the seat like they did on the video my seats don't have a lip like his did. Therefore, they would really stand out.

I really like the lights but if I cant figure something out I'm pulling the plug not worth it if they look like crap.

Update. Spent 9 hrs working on the boat today. Have 8 of the 12 LED strips placed, and 8 of 14 LED pods(for storage areas) placed. I changed the position of my sub and reinforced the das blank and added the Ipad mount. Here are some pics. Will take more when complete.

Sub previously was in the middle of the compartment and faced the other way. I vented the cabinet(not the speaker box, the cabinet the box is in) by putting a 5.5" hole and covered it with a speaker grill. I now have the speaker facing toward the vent. It sounded better to me.

photo7.jpg

Dash blank. Added 1/4 plexiglass attached with silicone and attaced the mount (from proclips) using machined screw with fender washer and bolt.

Back:

photo6.jpg

Front: (the mount in the upper right hand corner is what i use to mount my i touch. It is not in the way so I will just leave it.)

photo5.jpg

Took the coushin off and put ran the wire through holes we drilled behind the coushin. Uses gromits to protect the wire. Light attaches to the bottom of the coushin.

photo2.jpg

photo-1.jpg

photo9.jpg

More to come in a seperate post.

Here are what we did in the cubbies.. Removed the trim cousin for more access. In the pic you can see the wire, we clipped the wire, it is no longer visible.

photo8.jpg

photo3.jpg

Didnt take many pics of the lights we put in the storage areas. Here is what we put are putting and where. 2 pods (each pod contains 5 white leds) in each storage compartment in the bow), 3 pods in the ski locker, one pod in the "glove box", 3 pods in the engine compartement, and 3 pods under the sink.

photo11.jpg

photo10.jpg

Here is a pic with 8 of the 12 leds placed and on. The pic doesnt do it credit, it is much brighter than it looks. Boat is on a garage with no windows or lights on, completely dark except for the leds.

photo4.jpg

More pics to come when I am done. I estimate 4-6 more hours to complete, the the boat put back together and cleaned up. Fun but involved project.

I’m still not sure how I’m going to mount everything but I’ve been tossing a few ideas around for mine. I was first just planning to put the lights up above the cup holders but then I thought if someone was sitting there they would block the light. Now I’m looking to put lights above the cup holders and then lights under the cushion. I’m not a fan of how they did it on the website plus my seats don’t have a lip like theirs did. My idea was to get some sort of fixture. I saw surfing the net and found these

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/498149514/Profile_led_with_PMMA_cover.html

I have an email into the company asking about thing such as end caps and cost. I’m hoping something like this would look professional while still allowing the lights to be in a good position. I’d really like it if the company had anything to help out. To me going the extra mile and finding ways to conceal the lights and give a professional look would only boost their sales. Heck I’d be happy with the LED strip and wiring to come in white as well as black. If the strips were white they wouldn’t stand out near as much, even behind the plastic cover above.

I still haven’t been able to get my boat so it’s not a huge rush but I’m thinking I might just order the lights and a few options to hide them and see what works. If I can’t hide them and make them look professional I’ll just send the light back and sadly admit defeat…..

BTW can you take more pictures of how you mounted them under your seats?

Looks great!

• 3 weeks later...

Project is all done and just in time for Memorial Day. Will be heading to Cape Fair on Table Rock. They have fireworks on the water Sat night so I will have a chance to use the lights.

Dash put back together.

Dash.jpg

Dash with Ipad.. Nav, Weather, Music

Ipadnav.jpg

ipadweather.jpg

ipadmusic.jpg

Project 2: lights in unlit areas (ski locker, sink, engine compartment, under-seat storage)

sinknolight.jpg

sinklight.jpg

skinolight1.jpg

skilight.jpg

enginenolight.jpg

enginelight.jpg

Here is the last of the led light in storage areas. I didnt take a pic with the light off because the bow cover is on and the pic would just be black,

Here is the under-seat storage in the bow.

seatlight.jpg

Here are some pics of the leds in the cabin. Project was a huge pain to keep the light hidden, you have no idea they are there unless the are on.

bownolight.jpg

bowbluelight.jpg

bowwhitelight.jpg

cubbylight.jpg

backlight.jpg

photo9.jpg

sublight.jpg

We placed 14 pods of white LED's in all the storage areas. Each pod has 6 LED's.... 84 LED's.

We place 12 LED strips in the cabin, each strip contains 12 LED's..144 LED's.

Added a total of 228 LED's.

I’m still not sure how I’m going to mount everything but I’ve been tossing a few ideas around for mine. I was first just planning to put the lights up above the cup holders but then I thought if someone was sitting there they would block the light. Now I’m looking to put lights above the cup holders and then lights under the cushion. I’m not a fan of how they did it on the website plus my seats don’t have a lip like theirs did. My idea was to get some sort of fixture. I saw surfing the net and found these

http://www.alibaba.c...PMMA_cover.html

I have an email into the company asking about thing such as end caps and cost. I’m hoping something like this would look professional while still allowing the lights to be in a good position. I’d really like it if the company had anything to help out. To me going the extra mile and finding ways to conceal the lights and give a professional look would only boost their sales. Heck I’d be happy with the LED strip and wiring to come in white as well as black. If the strips were white they wouldn’t stand out near as much, even behind the plastic cover above.

I still haven’t been able to get my boat so it’s not a huge rush but I’m thinking I might just order the lights and a few options to hide them and see what works. If I can’t hide them and make them look professional I’ll just send the light back and sadly admit defeat…..

BTW can you take more pictures of how you mounted them under your seats?

Looks great!

all right, the first one to make their boat lights do this wins.......Go !!!!

theres tons of videos like this one, pretty cool....