Tarzan89

What should I expect from Chaparral?

This is the first time I have ordered a new boat from a dealer. My research led me to buy from Chaparral. I am puzzled because I have been surprised by several incidents: When I placed my order, I was told that it would take 6-8 weeks. After six weeks, I asked for an update and was told by Chaparral without any explanation that it would take another six weeks. I thought this was odd since I would think that an explanation would be the norm. I was disappointed about the delay but more concerned that Chaparral did not feel that the matter meritted any explanation. I brushed the matter aside until recently when I learned from the Chap Forum that a lot of owners with the aluminum arch were experiencing corrosion issues under their paint which was causing bubbling or cracking around the snaps due to the stainless screws having a chemical reaction with the aluminum. I sent an email to my dealer asking about the matter who forwarded my concern to Chaparral. I followed up two weeks later with my dealer who said that he had heard nothing back. After a third week, I emailed and left a voicemail with customer service. I am now heading into a fourth week but have not had a single reply from Chaparral...Is this normal? I have never ordered a new boat so I am learning what the "norms" are. While waiting for my boat to be built, I am growing concerned because I don't want to encounter the same lack of customer service if I should have a problem after I get the boat. As a business owner, I am trying to asses the matter as I would treat a customer, but I am also trying to keep an open mind since I am new to this arena. Should I be concerned about the above or is this uncharacteristic of Chaparral? Your input is most appreciated. - Respectfully - Tarzan89.

I can't tell you what is the norm but I would agree that you as the customer should get a timely response. I wonder if your dealer promised the 6 weeks but never really checked w/ the shop. I would hope that you would be able to get status updates as to the process that your boat is in. if anything else Chap should be proud to communicate to their customers. Buying a boat is not like buying a car, there is a lot more emotional investment as well as the deer. Keep calling the customer service line @ Chap until you get a person. If not send a letter to their CEO expressing concern about your investment and reminder of what customer service means. A phone call from their end will go a long way to reassure you, it would for me. you will have punch list items that your dealer will address, I cannot tell you why but you will. i have a few of my own all minor. hope you get your boat soon, :Twocents:

We ordered a boat last year, ordered toward then end of March. Our dealer worked very well with the Chap group that builds the boats in GA and provided great information. We were guaranteed the boat before Memorial Day, which was about 10 weeks. We have the boat 2 weeks early. Our dealer did specifically call to ensure the delivery date before making any promises. We received update phone calls toward the end of april and when the dealer was notified the boat was ready. We did have some questions for Chap direct which we fed through the dealer and within a couple of days we had answers. We have been nothing but pleased with the support Chap has given us, so I will tell you, as of last year this was NOT the norm. I was told by our dealer, and confirmed from other dealers, that each dealer has different "levels' of classification and based on the level they get different feedback and response. If this dealer is fairly new with Chap they may not be in a higher tier, but that is no excuse for you not receiving calls back. I agree with delaney, express your concern with customer service straight with Chap, as in the end, they are who you are buying the boat from. Also, address this with the dealer if you have not, sometimes their words mean more to any manufacturer then the end buyer. Best of luck, hope you get everything you expect and more.

I am wondering if you are having a dealership issue. Are they making promises and statements that are not being followed up on or confirmed ahead of time? Like delaney said, keep calling Chaparral and try and get it right from the horses mouth.

The second concern is most significant since we are awaiting a completion date and our question was an important issue that affects manufacturing. To not have any reply from Chaparral seems odd and does cause us some concern. I don't want this to be a sign of what is to come, should we encounter a problem after delivery. I have made three attempts to get an answer to include leaving a voicemail with Robin Comfort....To date (fourth week), I have not recieved any email nor a phone call. This was a big decision for us when you consider the cost of a large cruiser, new truck, and trailer...I was just expecting better service and commitment.

Are you dealing with your dealer or with Chap directly? Since you mentioned Robin, I assume Chap directly. Chap's operating model is for customers to deal with dealers. Just curious who you are talking to.

PS: I had no such issue when I ordered my boat in 2005; but things change.

On the second matter: I sent an email to my dealer who forwarded it to Chaparral. After not hearing anything for two weeks, I called my dealer and they informed me that they forwarded my question to their rep who in turn forwarded it to engineering. The dealer told me during the call that he would follow up with Chaparral again since he had not heard anything yet. After a week went by, I decided to email and leave a voicemail with Robin Comfort who was sharp in answering my questions while I was researching Chaparral before our purchase. I waited five more days and now I am writing in the forum to see if my situation is uncharacterstic. This is my first Chaparral boat so I am trying to learn "the norms". It is helpful to know what Chap's opperating model is, but since my dealer was not getting any response, I decided to contact Chaparral directly. I don't think I was being impatient since I gave ample time for a response....like I said, I am in my fourth week and still have no reply.

Remember its your money. Don't feel guilty asking questions I wouldn't care what their model of business is its my money and i would want timely answers. Call whoever you need to to get them let chap and the dealer sort out the rest. By the way did you get your answer on the arch paint resolved?

OK...I just sent another email to my dealer and they just informed me that Chaparral had replied to them and informed them that they were looking into the matter. I feel much better as I was getting concerned by the lack of follow up.

Welcome to the forum Tarzan89,

I purchased a new boat in the middle of last July. The dealer promised 6 - 8 weeks as well. Maybe that is the standard committment. Anyway, the boat was finally delivered on October 15th. So they missed it by one month. I was able to reach the factory to find out the schedule and learned that Chap builds them in model groups to assure the economy of scale when buying items from vendors, and standardizing contruction costs. That made sense since they (like most boat mfrs,) aren't as busy as they were prior to this last recession so they had to scale back people in order to continue profitable operations.

So if your order was of a model that had just completed a model run, I could see where you could easily get stretched out. I can tell you that when I did talk to the factory about estimated build date, they were very forthcoming and in each case notified the dealer about my inquiry. I suspect your problem is more with the dealer and less with the factory.

BTW, it is my experience when trying to reach customer "no service" with any company to call for sales. You will alway get a person and then they will re-direct your call as an interior call which will usually get picked up. Another good way is to call the Head guys office, in this case "Buck" ?, as he is the one guy who will still have an administrator. That administrator will answer his phone. Then you play dumb and say you misdialed and would you please transfer me to ____?. The person receiving the transfer will see the caller id as the Prez's office and of course will answer the phone! Gotcha!

Indidentally, I am very satisfied with my purchase and all issues were taken care of promptly. (Their were only two).

As I have mentioned on previous posts, my dealer and Chaparral have provided exemplary service for the last 20 years, and 4 Chaparral boats. I am sure you will be very happy when you get your new Chappy.

brick

The customer service manager called me today and was helpful in resolving my concerns. I was pleased with his candor. He also explained that when they use stainless screws with the aluminum, they now add a non-corrosive gel to each screw prior to installation. I have no further complaints at this time...issue resolved, thank you Chaparral!

He didn't happen to mention when they started using the gel? Not seen any problem on mine, but know that some had problems in the past. Glad to see they got back with you. I personnel don't have any complaints with the service I have received from dealer or Chap. Maybe a little too much service, but everything was taken care of.

I was told by our dealer, and confirmed from other dealers, that each dealer has different "levels' of classification and based on the level they get different feedback and response. If this dealer is fairly new with Chap they may not be in a higher tier, but that is no excuse for you not receiving calls back.

If this is true ... it is effing stupid. An unaware customer might get lesser service just because company plays some internal games with their dealers. Each and every customer deserves the same high quality and responsive service.

If this is true ... it is effing stupid. An unaware customer might get lesser service just because company plays some internal games with their dealers. Each and every customer deserves the same high quality and responsive service.

I could not agree more, but I found out that yes, customers will receive different levels of discount, support, delivery time, etc based on the dealership relationship with Chap. I tested the theory myself, got 2 different quotes from 2 local dealers, one who has sold chap forever and is a "platinum" dealer and one who has only sold for a couple of years. Difference, about 5K in price cheaper from the Platinum dealer and about 4 weeks delivery time shorter. Also got 20% discount on accessory purchases through chap, the other dealer could not offer this. Sad but true, different dealers, different clients, different prices. I originally brought this up to Chap and they said "we have policies on how we work with our dealer network and there are incentives passed on from the dealership to the purchases based on our relationship." So, as much as I agree its stupid, its not a whole lot different then the construction industry. Contractors get discounts at the big box stores and mom and pop hardware shops that the average purchaser will not receive.

Not much different than what happens in almost any industry that has a manufacturer that is using retail dealers to sell their products. They give the dealers incentives for those that are sell more of their product. It is why you get a better deal at a larger car dealer on the same car.

head-in-sand.jpg

We are talking here about pre- and post sale service and support ... not discounts and prices, which is entirely different matter.

So as a follow on for AFTER you have received your new chap, when should one expect a quality/customer support survey? We purchased our boat in Dec, was delivered 1 April, and have had all the punch list items addressed that needed taken care of. Just curious if we would hear from Chaparral at all on our experience and how we felt we were treated?

Not sure about the survey, but we signed the papers for our Chap on 4/17, took delivery on 5/2 and Yesterday I got a box from Chap with "goodies" in it. Ball cap, polo shirt, wind breaker, and document holder.

Chad- interesting, as we have not received a letter, goodie box, or survey from Chap, and it has been well over a month since we signed the papers and took possession. Certainly not complaining, just find it curious how there doesn't seem to be a set standard.....

Would think that Chap would want to hear from their new buyers and gauge how the process went from start to finish

Chad, you lucked out better than I did. My goodie box arrived today, and only had a ball cap and little floating key chain :-(. Quite disappointing considering what everyone else has reported receiving.

DC, wondering if its similar to the whole issue on service, ie, the standing of the dealer. That or I overpaid for mine and they felt sorry for me. :)

Chad - you could very well be correct. I dunno, as I thought I our dealer was pretty decent and tied in well with Chap. Have to admit i was all excited to get the box, but then when I opened it, surprise surprise. - def not what I was expecting. And interesting, there was no survey included either. So still waiting on that to show up. I certainly don't need another polo shirt, but a wind breaker or document holder would have been a nice touch!