Things to look for?

I am going to go look at a 1988 178xl this weekend and was wondering what are some of the key things to look for. The owner is asking $450 (and a case of beer) for the boat. Here is what I know so far.

The flooring and carpet need replaced

The engine has about 50 hours on it

It is faded

It hasn't been started in about 5 years.

I would like to start it there, but I am sure the carb is gummed up. any suggestions on how I might be able to Un gum it?

I would pull the spark plugs and squirt some oil into each cylinder as well and let it sit a bit before cranking it over. Was it winterized when it was laid up? I know the past couple of years, you guys got some pretty cool temps down there. 5 years is a long time for a motor to just sit, the piston rings are likely dry or worst stuck to the cylinder walls which could lead to a thrown rod or gouging of the cylinder walls when starting after so long. Ideally, squirt the oil into the cylinders and then try and turn it over by hand with the spark plugs out. Overkill? How much is a new engine? :Twocents:

Why do I get the feeling that he should be buying you a case of beer for taking it off his hands?

Don't know if it was winterized, I bought Coors Light pounders (2 Nine packs), and thanks for the Spark plug info. I am sure all will be well, but who knows. Will keep y'all posted and upload pictures IF I bring it home.

For some Coors & $450.00, you really can't expect to get something mechanically sound. You're likely going to have to spend several hundred dollars. IF it runs ... that's quite a bonus. It's a gamble, but perhaps you could get a diamond in the rough?

A lot of it depends as well on if you're boat savy and/or who you know.

I posted some pictures in the Boat Talk Gallery of the boat. Was talking to someone who said to talk the guy into giving it to me. Maybe offer $250 for the trailer. If all else fails, sell the trailer, and I know someone who wants a boat as an obstacle for a paint ball course. But anyway, anyone who has restored a boat, if you could take a look at the pics and let me know what you think, I would appreciate it.