velveleh

I need Help

Long story short I am newbie as newbie can come. I did not know how to turn the 260 signature on.

So you see how new I am. Let me fill you in, two weeks ago for the first time in my life I lunched my chaparral 260 signature series. My wife and my son helped, not knowing I pulled the trailer from under the boat a bite fast and it dropped in to the water and I heard bang I did not pay attention to it then,.

NOW two weeks later I have found water about a gallon or so at the storage area that is under the seats at front of the boat inside the galley under the cuddy, right under the seat in front of you when you enter the cuddy.

Q:

is it not suppose to be dry ? Did I crack the boat at front or the bow area?

Please someone help me with this question

Q#2 where is the barkers on panel

How can I turn the water, lights on and off and so on, as you see I am so new in this

please help

Thanks

Sean

Welcome Sean. Not sure what year your 260 is but on our 240, the switches for the cabin lights and pressure pump for the water are on the helm console. As for the water, I would think that if you cracked an opening in the keel of the boat the water would end up in the bilge. A gallon of water seems to be a lot of water to get in the v-birth storage compartments. Is your anchor locker drain plugged up?

Water could be rain water from anchor locker, leaking cleats, or many other potential sources. Dry it out and see if more water shows up without rain ... then start to worry. If it is just rain water, examine the anchor locker and port holes ... the impact could have create leaks there.

You can download Chaparral literature, marketing info and boat manual and parts list, elsewhere on this site. Get familiar with it as a lot can go a lot smoother when you know when things are and what you are doing.

Congratulations and enjoy you boat!

If you boat in salt water, taste it to determin if it salt water or rain water. I would think you would be able to see any damage to the keel that is significant enough to cause a leak while it is on the trailer.

Maybe it's time for a boating safety course ?

thank you all

It is in fresh water and I will take the course . I have to check about the anchor drain.

It is a great feeling to know I can count on you guys.

thanks again

Definitely take the Safety Course. If you're getting a lot of water in the locker, check the keel immediately. Don't chance it. I recommend you read up as much as possible to learn about safe boat handling. Welcome to the wonderful world of boating!

put some one inside with a good flashlight and run a hose outside starting low and work up around all things and see if they see water coming in..........will not fine all leaks....but is a good start.

I might even suggest hiring a captain for a demo of your boat, maneuvering, safety items, etc.

sounds like it is kept in a slip. most boaters are friendly helpful people, ask your slip neighbors some of your basic questions, offer them a beer take them for a ride and they may answer most of your basic questions, look around your slips and make sure you are tying your boat to the cleats the proper way as well. it is amazing how much rain water collects when it seems like it didn't rain much. hitting the keel on the bottom isnt' good but they are pretty strong i bet the water in your forward area is rain water if not perhaps a leaking fitting from a fresh water line.

Q#2 where is the barkers on panel

How can I turn the water, lights on and off and so on, as you see I am so new in this

please help

Thanks

Sean

What year 260 do you have? I have a 2005, so they may be similar.

Water pump and cabin light switches are right above and to the left of the stereo next to the cabin sink/microwave/AC breaker panel. They are powered by DC/battery power, so the battery switch, in the cockpit, aft of the cockpit sink/igloo cooler, must be set on battery 1, 2, or Both.