Chip

Exhaust Bellow

I noticed today that my exhaust bellow has came loose from the transom side. Will this hurt anything other than it being slightly louder now?

Any suggestions on if should replace it or anything? It was put on new last year.

Thanks

For sure, been 3 times so far this year. I at first thought it was louder but, thought it was just my mind messing with me.

Not at all. I was thinking they actually made a performance bellow that doesn't even clamp on one side.

the bellows need to be attached. If you just had them replaced last year, I would be asking the guy who did the work (assuming it wasn't you) to explain why they would come off so quickly. You will need to have your gimble bearing checked and your gear oil checked for water and bearing damage. Not a good thing to have happen. I am not a mechanic so maybe Shep will chime in and give you more details, but IMHO I would not lauch again until to get it all checked out!

Al

On Alpha 1's, the upper drive shaft bellows and the middle (much smaller) shifter bellows are the ones that will leak into the engine compartment. The bottom exhaust bellows won't cause any water problems. It will be louder as you noticed.

And I believe you are correct that there is a new two-piece exhaust bellows. (Thank you Lord!!!!) Seems to me that Shep posted the part number for the kit on here some time back.

The exhaust bellow is full of water anyhow ( from the engine cooling system ) even when hooked up correctly, by having it missing or loose won't cause a problem at all. You can install an exhaust tube instead of a bellow (which is not sealed)......

wncrjb

Get the tube if you don't mind a little bit more noise. MerCruiser part # 78458a1. Quick, fast, and easy vs. the exhaust bellows install. Costs more than the bellows, but you or the mechanic will emit far fewer F' bombs during install!

If an exhaust bellows should fall off the drive end, there is a risk of it blocking the exhaust outlet, thus drastically reducing power. In such a case, often an engine can run at an idle, but that's it. The tube removes that worry.

18-2760.jpg

I had one come off earlier this year. Man...what a man in the a_s. It took me and two buddies a full Saturday and more beer than I care to admitt to get that sucker on. I had no idea there were better options. Next time I'll know.

Thanks Shep!!

Will it hurt anything with me running it since it is just off on the transom side? If so could I just cut it shorter or take it off until I get the other one in?

I had one come off earlier this year. Man...what a man in the a_s. It took me and two buddies a full Saturday and more beer than I care to admitt to get that sucker on. I had no idea there were better options. Next time I'll know.

Yep... Nothing worse than a man in the a_s. ;)

Thanks Shep!!

Will it hurt anything with me running it since it is just off on the transom side? If so could I just cut it shorter or take it off until I get the other one in?

If the engine is still running fine, I'd just leave it be until you get the tube.