Sign in to follow this  
bucksnbows

93 Chaparral SLC 2200

Thanks for the words of encouragement sir. I am trying to be patient and make sure that I am making all the right steps. Just purchased all the new stereo components for the boat. I went with original gear oil for the outdrive. Read alot of post and it seemed obvious when done to go original.Gears and shaft and drive all looked good. Lubed it all and just waiting for the motor so I can instal and add the oil to the outdrive. Bought and replaced exhaust bellows and exhaust boots. Most of the gear was in pretty good shape. I think with the previous owners kids gone he lost intrest. Pics coming soon from on the water for sure!

Getting soooo close to having the motor all put back in place and everything hooked up. Should be able to fire it up today. Learned soo much with all your help and some youtube videos to make this happen. There is not one square inch on my arms that are not scratched up or bruised for this adventure!!!! It will be well worth the while when I hear the rumble of the 454 rat motor in the chappy! I was able to save a ton of money with the DIY and a great machine shop. Was able to upgrade stereo system too while at it. Still got all that to hook up yet. Thanks to you all and will post some picks soon.

Done properly, your torso should be bruised enough to look like you got some ink done...

I feel like I got ink done and a fight with the karate kid!! It was all worth it for sure. getting ready to go to the lake tomorrow. I will take some pics and post them. Thanks to all for the info. Filled the 60 gal tank and wow I need another job just to cover the fuel bill!!!

First outing with the SLC 2200 sport didnt go so well. Blew off the water line that runs to the oil cooler and couldn't figure out why it was getting warm and why the boat was taking on water??? I do now!! Cleaned out all the lines some debries from old impellors. I think we are good now. Going to make some test runs at the house with the outdrive in the tank and see how it goes. The joys of owning a boat right????

Went back out today and lots better!!! Got timing good just not sure where the air adjustment screws are supposed to be set at?? Most Quadrajets are 1 1/2 out but I have heard for marine that they are like 3 out?? Runs pretty good but just a littly boggy at about 2000 rpm. Cleans up after that. Thoughts?????

Quadra-Jet carburetor specs for 7.4L (454)

Idle mixture screw preliminary setting is 2-3 turns.

Specs can be found in MerCruiser Service Manual # 15, section 5C-4.

Finally got on the water and got it tunned right. She runs strong and will pull you out of the hole like nobodys buisness! Motor runs good and purrs even at high rpms. Use a little bit of fuel this weekend but not bad for a thirsty bigblock! <a href=

We also added new head unit with Ipod connection, 1000w marine amp,4 infinity 6.5 speakers inside the boat and 2 tower speakers. Its sounds great!!! P6160032.jpg

That is awesome! Glad you got her up and purring - with that Quadrajet tuned right, that boat should FLY out of the hole. Might even be able to run some low 50's at WOT too!

You definitely have enough low end to put some extra ballast in the rear if you want to kick up an even bigger wake.

Parden my nubie question but what does WOT stand for? I thought about adding balast but with the weight of the big block and 60gal of fuel sitting at the back it throws a huge wake already. Does pretty good on fuel too. We went for 4 days and spent an avg. of 5 hrs each day and used 46gal total for the whole trip? Pretty happy with this boat and glad to revitialize an older boat.

Oh and I got the motor tuned pretty good. The timing set at 8* and not sure where to set the idle screws at? Got them about 2 turns out. I get about 4,100 - 4,200 rpms out of her. She is solid all the way through.

WOT = Wide Open Throttle, 4200 RPMs is pretty close to where you should be. If she's purring at that RPM, it sounds like you've probably got that carb as close to dialed in as possible - those quadrajets are some fickle creatures, elevation and air temp will change, and require you to keep tweaking it if you're really looking to max it out, which is probably not worth all the hassle for 1 or 2 MPH.

Enjoy it! looks like everyone is in on the fun!

Thanks Rande, Yep we are really enjoying the boat and the stereo is crazy loud which the kids love!! 16 , 15 and 13. So louder the better is what I am seeing. Yep she purrs all the way thru with tons of power.

I have a 2200 SLC as well. Quick question: What prop are you running on that boat? I am considering putting a tower on mine and might want to prop down for a better wholeshot. I believe mine is a 23 but not sure. I would think a 21 might be the best bet?

Ill post a photo next .. THANKS!

I am running a stanless 3 blade 19 pitch right now. Great out of the hole and fair for top end. I also have a stanless 4 blade 21 pitch that I have not tried yet. The 19 works great and pops the ski's or wakeboarder right out. I am at about 4,000 feet elev. Hope this helps. Love to see a pic. What year is your boat?

Ill try to post more later. Thank you for the info! I will probably try a 21 pitch 1st.

One thing I love about my 23 is at 2100 rpm im running 30 mph like its idling across the lake.

getting 59-60 on the GPS WOT 4200 rpm

post-14606-0-90203400-1342645710_thumb.j

You ever lost any letters off of your chaparral side chrome pieces? I lost the A & L off mine. Looked everywhere no luck! My spedo is not working correctly. I think it needs some good cleaning. It is running about 4100 at WOT. Mine does well for a big boat and big motor. Yours?

Yes missing the C right now on the starboard side. Have you tried Chaparral? My guess is the parts guys and techs wont know or it will show no longer in stock but I bet somewhere in a warehouse there is a box full of them. Original owner had it docked a alot so had to buff the shiz out of it to get the waterline out. Speedo is about 3-4mph fast so I use the GPS but works flawlessly otherwise. She has 389 hrs on it all original never been gone through so yes does very well.. Its a heavy boat but she has a few baja kills already. She wont embarrass you vs the 496's or 502's only the twin screws run away from her. Slinging a 23 im getting 4200 WOT light. Its a bit slow out of the hole and not good loaded. So I may go to a 21 or 19.. She does make a helluva wake. Interesting my gas tank is a 45 est gal and its portside just under the dash but others of the same year some are center aft?

Looking at propping down, putting a tower and swim platform on it. I saw you had one on yours. That must be nice because access with the oem rear board and slippery narrow platform is terrible.

MPG is decent when cruising under 3500 - after that its pretty lousy

I love it other than broke drink holders and missing chrome letter its built pretty well... no Cobalt but dang sho no Gayliner either :D