Had a question about towing my 256 SSI. When going down the interstate, the whole trip I had issue with the whole thing like surging and bucking. Am wondering if there is a correct hieght my hitch should be, or are the surge brakes giving me issues? Has anyone had this problem? and how did you correct it ? Thanks

without more info hard to give answer.........does boat weight more than tow veh.?.....is trailer level with tow veh?.....tongue weight to high/or to low......tire pressure right both trailer and tow veh?.....and the last due you have the right size ball .....?

My guess from the description: When you are stopping, the trailer's surge brakes are engaging and releasing rapidly causing the "bucking".

Need to check:

- proper brake adjustment

- proper surge mechanism function (not bunding, shock working(if it has one, etc.)

- Master cylinder functioning properly

- brake fluid condition

- brake lines need flushing?

- brakes properly bled?

- no leaks in system (this is very important...doesn't take much of a leak to cause a problem)

just a few thoughts to start with.

Good luck!

:oregonian_winesmiley:

<snip>

.....does boat weight more than tow veh.?.....

<snip>

I'd have to say that most of the boats out there being towed weigh more than the tow vehicle. It shouldn't matter as long as "load" doesn't exceed vehicle's tow capacity, but would like to hear what direction you were heading with this question. I know for a fact that our boat out weighs our F150 EcoBoost ... as does our 4 place snowmobile trailer once loaded up with sleds....

My thoughts on the OPs question is also tongue weight not being correct. Although I had something happen last time I towed the boat that might have been construed as "bucking"..... the bow hook apparently wasn't snugged up tight to the front stop on the trailer, I went down a sizeable hill and the boat moved forward slightly, but enough to allow the bow to start to "bob" up and down as traveling down the road. Made the whole truck seem to be bucking but was quickly figured out and corrected. Probably not the same issue, but a thought anyway........

I'd have to say that most of the boats out there being towed weigh more than the tow vehicle. It shouldn't matter as long as "load" doesn't exceed vehicle's tow capacity, but would like to hear what direction you were heading with this question. I know for a fact that our boat out weighs our F150 EcoBoost ... as does our 4 place snowmobile trailer once loaded up with sleds....

My thoughts on the OPs question is also tongue weight not being correct. Although I had something happen last time I towed the boat that might have been construed as "bucking"..... the bow hook apparently wasn't snugged up tight to the front stop on the trailer, I went down a sizeable hill and the boat moved forward slightly, but enough to allow the bow to start to "bob" up and down as traveling down the road. Made the whole truck seem to be bucking but was quickly figured out and corrected. Probably not the same issue, but a thought anyway........

I would also suggest another tie down on the bow hook.

100_2641.jpg

I would also suggest another tie down on the bow hook.

100_2641.jpg

Yeah, I do the same. Not sure how it all came loose, but it did. Like I said, it was like the boat was bucking up and down as the bow lifted off and fell back onto the front stop.....easily detected and fixed by tightening the winch and strap.........