Sign in to follow this  
Frank K

Got a speedometer that stopped working... have you tried the coat hanger approach?

Manual says to try 1/8 " thick, 6' long stiff wire (like a shirt hanger) and try to dislodge any debris into drive. Thoughts?

Try shooting some air in the hole. Mine just stopped working b/c it was spliced in the engine compartment w/ a plastic fitting that came off. Replaced it w/ a brass insert and haven't had any problems since

If you are going to use air, limit the pressure and blow it backward from the speedo head, after disconnecting the hose from the dash unit. If you think the blockage is in the outdrive, you may want to just pull the hose off of the transom plate and blow back that section. You don't want to drive debris farther up the line and you never want to let the dash unit see high pressure air. The speedo's are nothing more than low pressure range gauges that measure the increase in air pressure that is generated by water impacting the leading edge of the pilot tube.

W

How about if the boat stays in the water...is it possible??

Also, what about non-working trim indicators?? Any advice there??

Even if its working they don't seem very accurate to me compared to the GPS mine reads like 4 mph off if not more. My trim indicators don't work either and my RPMs are hit and miss I have to smack them to get them to work sometimes. Love the boat but the guages are not very good.